By myself

Options
How do I get motivated enough to workout by myself??? It's always been my husband and I and ,like today for example, he wants to stay home but said he wouldn't stop me from going.....Part of me wants to stay home too. I need to motivate myself to go by myself.....I went running last Friday by myself but I don't have the motivation to do it tonight.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    How badly do you want to achieve your goals? Either you're committed or you aren't.
  • caraguard
    caraguard Posts: 41
    Options
    I have a hard time getting my husband to exercise with me too. If he's being stubborn, just keep your goals in mind! Use that as your motivation - WHY you want to lose weight, what inspires you to be healthier.

Another idea might be to buy some new, awesome, get-up-and-go music for when you exercise. If you're going to be on your own, use your new awesome music to power you through your workout!
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    I work out every day by myself on my lunch break. Its just me and the mat and the machines and the weights... this is MY time... why? Because "I" deserve it. No one screaming mommy. No one pushing me cause I can't keep up. Its me and my goal...
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You have to remember you are doing this for YOU and only you can make the change. If you want it bad enough then go out and get it. Go look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself "I can do this"! because you know you can!! Just do it!
  • Heyman09
    Heyman09 Posts: 184
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! That's helped a lot in getting my mind back on track.....I want to reach my goals and succeed so I think I'm going to jog this afternoon for starters. :)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    What about working out from home? I've not stepped a foot inside a gym.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I agree - I do it from home.

Make it part of your routine. I put my workout clothes on when I get up in the AM and don't allow myself to shower until that workout is DONE. That's incentive! :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    How badly do you want to achieve your goals? Either you're committed or you aren't.

Exactly. Don't rely on other people for motivation.
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Work out for you, stay committed, you'll feel better emotionally and physically. You never know, you might end up motivating him!
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You may want to find an exercise that you really like. If you really like what you're doing (like Zumba, Spin classes, jazzercise, etc.) you'll be more inclined to do it regularly whether you're alone or not.

Also, like someone else said, you need to think about how committed you are to your goals. It's about your journey - not your husband's. What if he could never work out with you? Would you give up? You have to decide how important it is to you to get and stay healthy and use that as your motivation to work out consistently. My husband and I never workout together, which is fine as we both do different things we like. I know it helps to have a partner but you can get used to doing it alone.
  • Leanbck
    Leanbck Posts: 4
    Options
    I rly dont like that saying - Im not gonna stop you - definetly it would be better for him to get his *** to the gym,
    Instead of discouraging you! I workout with my brother , we lift 5 times a week and when hes like "im not gonna stop u but i dont want 2day" i rly hate it! So if u hear a sentence like that, and the idea of not going is in ur mind then stop right there, put ur shoes on and go to the gym!
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My husband is a fireman, so he works every third day. I had to decided how badly I want to achieve my goals and how I can achieve that goal. I decided I want IT bad enough to work out all alone every third day.

I had to did deep and remember what I am working for ( I have a picture of myself from 6 years ago) and BINGO there is my motivation to do it with out him here.

Find what works for you!
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    JUST GO!! You will feel MUCH better when you are done! :) Or do something at home.
  • Julie_stevens
    Julie_stevens Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It costs a lot of money, but get a personal trainer. There's something about having homework and a deadline and a PERSON you have to check in with every week who's going to call you on it if you're not on track!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Just do it, you will be glad you did.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My husband wont work out, but guess what? I do....5-6 days a week. I've got to be healthy and in shape for ME. My motivation comes from within. DO IT FOR YOU!
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I work out for myself. It makes me feel good and proud of myself. YOU are all the motivation you will ever need!!! Just do it!!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    consider ur work out ur "me time"
  • TrinaTW
    TrinaTW Posts: 88
    Options
    I've always worked out by myself. Surrounding yourself with a good support system helps but ultimatley it comes down to you. When I'm lacking motivation I find that if I can just get myself started that's the hardest part. Try scheduling it as an 'appointment for your health' on your calendar and force yourself to go like you would any appointment. It's great if your hubby works out with you but don't let his lack of motivation rub off on you! My favorite saying, just DO it!!
  • mdianne58
    mdianne58 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My husband goes with me sometime. He isn't as motivated as I am. In the beginning he wouldn't go at all. I began to tell him of my successes (walked a mile in 17 min, 16 min, 15 min). He has begun to come with me more often.

He now knows if he doesn't go I will go without him! That ploy doesn't work.

I do this for me!