Dr Oz speaking on Brown Rice & Whole Grain/Wheat...

Options
124»

Replies

• akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    IIFYM

best post in this whole thread. Woodrepinreallife/10
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know where Ezekiel sprouted bread stand? Is it whole grain?
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Consider in your answer the science of food production, specifically genetic modification.

There is no genetically modified (GMO) wheat in the human or animal food supply anywhere in the world.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Why is most of the people on this post hating on Dr.Oz?

He seems like a smart guy, who knows what he's talking about most of the time...

Agreed! He is, after all, a practising heart surgeon in NYC and as far as I'm concerned far more qualified to comment on these issues than almost anyone here. Besides he has several (dozens for all we know) of researchers working for the show who have carefully investigated every claim he makes. I am not an Oz-Lover but I do think he knows what he's talking about....he's seen the hearts of hundreds of sick people, has anyone here done that?
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm not a Dr. Oz fan. I am not going to take the advice of any doctor who gets paid to endorse products on TV. He's a fear-mongerer, plain and simple. A few months ago, it as arsenic in the apple juice. Now, it's bread is evil. Next, it will be spinach gives you cancer.
  • Purplebfly333
    Purplebfly333 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I eat brown rice alot and enjoy it. I love whole wheat bread but it don't like me. I have had problem with candida and the yeast in bread is not good for me. Also bread blots me....I'm trying to let it go.
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Agreed! He is, after all, a practising heart surgeon in NYC and as far as I'm concerned far more qualified to comment on these issues than almost anyone here. Besides he has several (dozens for all we know) of researchers working for the show who have carefully investigated every claim he makes. I am not an Oz-Lover but I do think he knows what he's talking about....he's seen the hearts of hundreds of sick people, has anyone here done that?

Dumb claim. A heart surgeon isn't a nutritionist or dietician. Should I listen to my dentist about nutrition too? I mean he has seen plenty of people with bad teeth "due to their eating habits".

As far as the "researchers" claim...I've seen him endorse so many products and make some pretty ridiculous claim for things that have absolutely zero research behind them. Look at his raspberry ketone claims...There was only one or two studies actually done on them, which both proved raspberry ketones made no difference in weight loss.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I know I'm a bit late to the party here, but there is quite a bit of misinformation in this thread. I'll address two of the major items.

1- fiber does not "offset carbs". Fiber itself is a carbohydrate, however it cannot be absorbed by the body. So, when you see a total carb counts on a label, it includes the carbs from fiber. This is why you are able to subtract the amount of fiber from the total carbs to get "net carbs".

2-Wheat is bad. It and other grains will spike your blood sugar more than table sugar. Wheat is particularly bad. It has addictive properties and perpetuates food addiction among countless other medical conditions including diabetes, obesity and cancer to name a few. This is not my opinion, this is medical fact proven over and over again through medical studies. For an extremely good overview of these findings, I suggest you read the book Wheat Belly.

tigerpalm.jpg

Complaining about misinformation and the quoting "Wheat Belly." Oh, the irony. "Wheat Belly" is pretty much all misinformation.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Why is most of the people on this post hating on Dr.Oz?
    Because (IMO) he's a fear-mongering supplement *kitten* who sells himself to the highest bidder and promotes useless snake oils, with a new "miracle cure" seemingly every week or so. He's an Oprah creation which gives him instant credibility with many of her legion of fans, but my knee-jerk reaction is to doubt anything I hear/read which starts out with "Dr. Oz says...." or "According to Dr. Oz....". I put about as much faith in him as I do in most of the "Ministers of Broscience" on fitness/bodybuilding forums.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Dumb claim. A heart surgeon isn't a nutritionist or dietician. Should I listen to my dentist about nutrition too? I mean he has seen plenty of people with bad teeth "due to their eating habits".

As far as the "researchers" claim...I've seen him endorse so many products and make some pretty ridiculous claim for things that have absolutely zero research behind them. Look at his raspberry ketone claims...There was only one or two studies actually done on them, which both proved raspberry ketones made no difference in weight loss.

Can't help that you think my claim is "dumb", but really, a heart surgeon is certainly more qualified to comment on nutrituion than you or I are!
  • FightGirl83
    Options
    A whole grain includes, basically, the whole grain. A grain is made up of 3 parts; the bran, the germ, and the endosperm.
    The bran is the outer layer that contains all the vitamins and fibre. The germ is the inner layer which has the protein and carbohydrates, as well as some vitamins. The endosperm is the little 'seed' part, that contains the majority of the nutrients and vitamins as well as essential fatty acids, this is the part that sprouts in to new plants. So a whole grain is completely intact and contains all three of these parts.

Whole wheat and white bread products are processed grains that have been stripped of the germ and bran, taking away the fibre, EFAs, and almost all of the vitamins and minerals. What you are left with is refined carbohydrates and protein. White bread is made from the same processed grains that have been bleached.

An item that is truly whole grain will have the words "whole grain..." as the first ingredient. Anything that starts with the word "enriched" means the grain has been stripped down and select processed vitamins and minerals have been added back in, hence the enrichment.
  • FightGirl83
    Options
    Does anyone know where Ezekiel sprouted bread stand? Is it whole grain?

I don't know the exact brand, but look at the ingredients. If the first ingredient is not a whole grain, the product is not whole grain.
    If it says whole wheat or enriched anything, it is not whole grain.