One wrong choice & I'm set back a week....

Options

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I ate something salty on Monday for dinner (vegetarian baked beans-1 portion) and woke up Tuesday gained 3 pounds. Worked out last night, cardio for 1 hour and stayed under my daily calorie goal but only dropped 1/2 pound. I'm so bummed, it's going to take me the rest of the week to get back to where I started. All because of some beans.... (I know, sounds kinda funny.)!!

No, you didn't go back a week. It's just water weight from the salt. It will go away. Don't be bummed! And stay off the scales!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I doubt it was because of the beans. If you gained 3lbs over night it is most surely water weight. Weighing the very next day, and especially not at the usual weigh-in time, is not advised as your body does not "lose" that fast. As others have said, drink more water and stay off your scale unless you're weighing in.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think she was referring to the water retention...not actual weight?.. i would hope :P
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Also, weight gain/loss generally takes more than a day to happen. Sometimes the scale will owe you and sometimes you will owe the scale. For example, you'll have a weekend of binging and not have a weight gain on Monday. But then you stick to your diet and exercise all week and the next Monday you've gained weight. It takes a few days (5-10) for weight to actually stick/leave. So, if you really did gain 3 pounds, it's from something you ate last week, not the beans you ate the night before you weighed.
  • InezRny
    InezRny Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Gaining that much weight overnight means you gained water weight. Drink a ton of water (sounds counter productive, but still true) and do your normal workout. I usually add a walk if I'm feeling bloated; for some reason that helps me with water weight. In any case, you DID NOT gain 3 lbs of fat, so don't beat yourself up.

Sometimes women tend to gain water weight around that time of the month which is normal. It also can happen up to almost two weeks prior to your period arriving.
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous. A portion of baked beans did not cause you to gain 3 pounds of fat overnight. If you can't handle normal fluctuations in your weight, such as water retention, please step away from the scale.

This... love it! Perfect answer.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    What Elizabeth and Brian are getting at is that your 3 lb overnight gain was just water retention due to higher than usual sodium intake. Your weight is going to go up and down as your hydration level changes. What you describe is perfectly normal, not a one week set-back.

This.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    They are beans... you just need a good poop.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain weight from baked beans. It takes 24 hours to fully digest food, so any gain on the scale is a more accurate reflection of TWO days ago rather than the previous night. That's not to say it is accurate either way, but a change of +-5lbs or under is more directly related to how much fluid your body is retaining at any given time.

Measure your progress long-term, don't get attached to day-to-day measurements...
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    You're gonna continue to drive yourself crazy if you weigh yourself every day. Once per week, same time of day, same conditions and same clothes on. Weight fluctuates every day depending on how much water you're retaining and, honestly, depending on whether you've gone to the bathroom or not lol. And your fitness progress is SO MUCH MORE than just the number on the scale!
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    False.

That is all.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    water weight. The salt made you retain it. Next time, if you eat canned beans, put them in a strainer and rinse them out before putting them on the stove. You will get rid of at least half of the salt content.
  • aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You want weight loss or fat loss?

Weight loss? Start hacking off limbs, the pounds will LITERALLY shred right off.

:laugh:
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I never understand these folks that act like everyone's body processes all foods the same way. I had soup once that was high sodium and gained 1.5 pounds overnight (ok, yeah, sodium and water gain). Except it didn't drop right off. I also will gain weight if I eat a refined white carb (which I rarely do)...even if I'm within calories.

Everybody is different. I think some people, for example, are more sensitive to sugars or insulin levels.

Any-way - it's okay. Now you know what that meal does to you. Someday, it'll be worth it to have it again. You certainly didn't "waste" a week though. Lesson learned. How else could you learn? The main thing is to keep on track. :smile:
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    <Yoda>Too focused on scale. Madness that way lies. Understand big picture you do not</yoda>
  • giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's probably just fluid retention, but I know what you mean about feeling set back. Weight loss is such a constant struggle. I wish it was all moving forward, but it's not. Forgive yourself for not being perfect - no one is - and do better today! :flowerforyou:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I never understand these folks that act like everyone's body processes all foods the same way. I had soup once that was high sodium and gained 1.5 pounds overnight (ok, yeah, sodium and water gain). Except it didn't drop right off. I also will gain weight if I eat a refined white carb (which I rarely do)...even if I'm within calories.

Everybody is different. I think some people, for example, are more sensitive to sugars or insulin levels.

Any-way - it's okay. Now you know what that meal does to you. Someday, it'll be worth it to have it again. You certainly didn't "waste" a week though. Lesson learned. How else could you learn? The main thing is to keep on track. :smile:

Yes everyone's body reacts differently to certain substances, there is inflammation, water gain, etc.

However, everyone's bodies collect and release MASS (fat) very similarly. You didn't gain 1.5lbs of FAT from eating soup. People here are trying to tell the OP that she didn't gain mass (fat) on her body.
  • hungrygirldeb
    Options
    It's ok to eat your beans just refrain from salt and salty foods 3 days before weighing yourself. This is biological fact-learned in college. Try it, you'll see it makes a big difference. Darn salt--love it/hate it!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I listened to recent posts and ate back my exercise calories.. went out for dinner and had a pasta meal and a glass of red wine. I just weighed and gained horribly. I won't be doing THAT again. - Hang in there and start over today :smile:

You retained water.

This isn't rocket science. Calories in. Calories out. Eat mostly health wholefoods. Expect that things that cause water retention (like, um, wine, and um carbs.... ) will actually result in water retention.

Don't panic.

Carry on.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    <Yoda>Too focused on scale. Madness that way lies. Understand big picture you do not</yoda>

lol. I heard that in the fozzy voice.