Ok........What the heck?

Options
kelif5959
kelif5959 Posts: 202
Here's the deal. There are some days that I can't drag my rear out of bed for my workoutsin the morning and, on such days I opt to do my workout in MY OFFICE during MY LUNCH hour with my door closed. (I can do on the days when my workouts consist of cardio intervals or ab work).

I have done this a few times the last few weeks and then again today. After my workout today, the "office manager" came into my office and said "you know, it's not really fair that your office is big enough to do a workout in when a few of us don't have that luxury". Now.......let me explain that, yes, she is the "office manager" of us CLERICAL people; however, my "actual boss" is the Vice President I work for (and he knows what I'm doing when I close my door at lunch). So.........I said, well, I didn't choose to be in this particular office and really don't see why it matters what I'm doing in MY office while at lunch (whether it be reading, eating, playing on my phone or working out). I also offered my office to the other girls on the days I go "out of the building" for lunch.....but she said they probably wouldn't feel comfortable.

So, what the he**? Is this REALLY about the size of my office or is she just being a big ole' workout pooper? I didn't say I would stop - and she didn't actually ask me to - but - I just don't get it!

Let me also state she has NO PROBLEM when I push my chair over to the corner and read a book during lunch. However, some of the other girls don't have "private corners" to read in either.............so what's the difference!

How would you feel after this conversation? I'm baffled!

Replies

• Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I think she's nuts and you should carry on. As long as your boss has no issues with it which you said he doesn't, then it shouldn't matter what she thinks. Sounds like you've done all you can. That's very nice of you to offer your office to the others as well. Not many would.
  • kelif5959
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, I asked my boss before I even started using my office and he was fine with it. And I think you're right - there's not much more I can do and it's NOT hurting anyone! Crazy!!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    She's lazy and just being a B*tch. You make her feel guilty and she wants you to stop.
  • kelif5959
    Options
    She's lazy and just being a B*tch. You make her feel guilty and she wants you to stop.

Sadly, I think it's a "guilt" thing too and she's pissed that she doesn't have the "motivation" to work on herself so she's aiming her frustration at me! It's just ridiculous!!! I'm a good freakin' worker - if you are going to get on to me about something make it "work" related byotch! LOL.....
  • kelif5959
    Options
    Is your office bigger than hers? If so, it might actually be about the amount of floor space you get. Office politics are weird.

Yes, my office is "double" her size. Again, I was moved into this office as it is right next to my bosses and her office is right next to her bosses. But, yes, people get weird about that kind of thing too I guess. Ugh......COME ON!!!
  • sofakingawesome69
    Options
    Maybe she should stop peeking in if she does not like what she sees? Keep at it, because it is about you, not how you make other people feel. She should try bringing that up to your boss and see what happens..
  • Sassybecky
    Sassybecky Posts: 72
    Options
    She's trying to use the excuse "my office is too small!" as a reason why she's not working out! Good for you for fitting in your workouts whenever you can.
  • pantherkeith
    pantherkeith Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yeah sounds like some corporate political BS. Screw her, keep up the good work getting your workout in when you can.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    OMG! I was thinking about putting a Bowflex in my office. Maybe I should rethink that.

I think she's just being a little b*tch and jealous that you have the drive to work out while she stuffs her face with twinkies. I would just keep at it.
  • jayraycee
    jayraycee Posts: 33
    Options
    Is this woman overweight? I think she isnt jealous of your office, she IS jealous of YOU. Not your problem, she just made herself look like a total nutcase! When I see people work out, it makes me smile!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Sounds like passive aggressive behavior on the part of the office manager. Unless you are thumping about or making a lot of noise, I can't see how it matters what you do with your lunch hour. I don't have an office, but I stretch at work as needed when I can find an empty conference room =)
  • Baybbee123
    Baybbee123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Tell her to MYOB and keep doing what you're doing. Besides, any great company would want you to keep doing what you're doing as they should support your being healthy - whatever it takes.

I take short 10 minute breaks and walk around the parking lot during the day. I get the "oh you should really be at your desk working" lectures and looks, but you know what - I work for a HEALTHCARE company. And if you're not my boss, keep your comments to yourself. I'm doing this for me....just like you're doing it for YOU. You keep going hun....don't let her get to you.
  • kelif5959
    Options
    Maybe she should stop peeking in if she does not like what she sees? Keep at it, because it is about you, not how you make other people feel. She should try bringing that up to your boss and see what happens..

hahahaha, you know you're right. I haven't gone around the office saying "hey I'm working out in my office" - so she's either somehow spying on me or maybe my red/sweat faced look after my workout is giving me away. I would so LOVE to have her ask my boss about it. He absolutely HATES drama and would definitely laugh in her face. Which is why I'm not going to bring it up to him. I just don't want the other girls starting a "hate fest" towards me - but - like you said, I'm doing this for me and not them! :)
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Looks like a big 'ol workout pooper to me. She's just mad that you aren't making excuses for not working out. I get the same old crap from my mother when she comes over wanting hamburgers, fries, and cupcakes for lunch and I want a salad. She gets all pissy with me. I used to see it at work too. I don't know why us gals are so petty. We should support each other in our goals. Geez.
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Women LOVE to hate on other women....I agree with ouandi and add that your coworker is probably super jealous and just wants to see you fail....Ignore her saggy baggy rump and do what you need to!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    People who work in offices have nothing better to do then to go around and see what everyone else is doing so they can tattle on them. When I worked in an office there were several old biddy busy bodies who made it their job to keep track of how long I was away from my desk. One even went so far as to write down when I left for linch and came back. Mind you when I worked there I got in well before she did and picked up the slack for everyone on my team.

Unless your direct boss has a problem with it ignore her. There will always be people like her no matter where you work. Sorry. :(
  • kelif5959
    Options
    Well, good, I'm glad you guys agree that this is horsecrap! :)

I agree with the people that said when they see others working out it makes the smile, or happy or anything but jealous and rude! When I see or hear of people working out - it makes me want to do the same! When I see someone that is walking at lunch in the hallways - I think that's awesome! When I see people post their workouts on MFP and I haven't done mine yet - it makes me WANT TO!

Some people are just unhappy fun suckers on a daily basis. Which, unfortunately, I am surrounded by several like that!

So glad I have this site with like-minded people who support others who are trying to make good, healthy choices and be the best they can be! So.........here's TO US!!!!! :)
  • kelif5959
    Options
    Is this woman overweight? I think she isnt jealous of your office, she IS jealous of YOU. Not your problem, she just made herself look like a total nutcase! When I see people work out, it makes me smile!

^^ Yes on the overweight question.