One wrong choice & I'm set back a week....

Options

Replies

• jasminecandle
    Options
    I'm going to guess water retention, it will go away in a few days.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It's ok to eat your beans just refrain from salt and salty foods 3 days before weighing yourself. This is biological fact-learned in college.

Can I ask where you went to college and what you majored in?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Eating beans is never a wrong choice.

If you have a first date or job interview or something the next day, it might be. :wink:
  • determined136
    Options
    It all ebbs and flows....your body fluxuates it probably wasn't the beans. Don't quit doing what you are doing...eat healthy and exercixe and soon this will be in the rear view mirror!!

You can do it ...you ARE worth it!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous. A portion of baked beans did not cause you to gain 3 pounds of fat overnight. If you can't handle normal fluctuations in your weight, such as water retention, please step away from the scale.

^^^^^
  • Katalyst77
    Katalyst77 Posts: 79
    Options
    You want weight loss or fat loss?

Fat loss? Then you are doing fine. Salty foods will cause water retention which will shed when the salt is done in your system.

Weight loss? Start hacking off limbs, the pounds will LITERALLY shred right off.

Purely awesome way to look at it. I personally like my limbs... I get discouraged from the numbers too...maybe I should hide my scale for a while?
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    So, the beans contained 10,500 calories? :huh:

that is what I was wondering....
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    So, the beans contained 10,500 calories? :huh:

that is what I was wondering....

High density Martian beans. You can pick them up on Camden market.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous. A portion of baked beans did not cause you to gain 3 pounds of fat overnight. If you can't handle normal fluctuations in your weight, such as water retention, please step away from the scale.

ding ding ding winner!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I ate something salty on Monday for dinner (vegetarian baked beans-1 portion) and woke up Tuesday gained 3 pounds. Worked out last night, cardio for 1 hour and stayed under my daily calorie goal but only dropped 1/2 pound. I'm so bummed, it's going to take me the rest of the week to get back to where I started. All because of some beans.... (I know, sounds kinda funny.)!!
    ABSURD!
    We track real progress - not water weight.
    I weigh myself daily upon awaking before eating or drinking but after a good morning pooh.:flowerforyou:
    And I record any gains the instant I enter a newer, lower number.

I also track progress with bodyfat. Weight is not the whole picture, and the scale can lie as badly as the man in the mirror.
    You can check here for free: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
    Something else to obsess over? Not al all.
    Remember, you rule the numbers - not the other way around.
    Buck up, and stop obsessing over the scale.
    This is NOT the Biggest Loser....:bigsmile:
  • mamakjknows
    Options
    Number one lesson on your weight loss journey. NEVER, weigh yourself on a daily basis--you will only set yourself up for failure. And as has been mentioned by several others--this is a journey not a race. Take one day at a time and don't sweat the small stuff.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It's water weight! Down that water like you are dying of thirst and those 3 lbs. will be gone. :-)
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    What Elizabeth and Brian are getting at is that your 3 lb overnight gain was just water retention due to higher than usual sodium intake. Your weight is going to go up and down as your hydration level changes. What you describe is perfectly normal, not a one week set-back.

^^ This ^^
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    <Yoda>Too focused on scale. Madness that way lies. Understand big picture you do not</yoda>
    you've said it.
    I stopped getting on the scale everyday once I realized my weight could change more/less 5 pounds in a day. Depending on what I eat, if I pooped, if I drank enough water, if my period is coming, etc.
    Now I weight myself once every week. Enough.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    It's water weight! Down that water like you are dying of thirst and those 3 lbs. will be gone. :-)
    ^^^^^^
    THIS
    Drink water to lose water weight.
  • Ash_ah_lee
    Ash_ah_lee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The same thing happen to me the other night i gained 5 pounds overnight.. Everyone told me to drink water.. I drank 10 cups and this morning the 5 pounds were gone.. its just water weight dont worry about it :)
  • srustin
    srustin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh everyday! Keep the focus on your weekly or longer term goals! In my case, I need to shock the body with extra from time to time to not let it get settled into a certain maintenance mode. Keep it guessing and don't loose sight of your bigger picture! If you do blow it, be honest and put it down (good, bad, and ugly) so you will be accountable to your MFP community! Be Blessed!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Canned foods are SUPER salty - eating extra salt will cause you to retain water weight. Not real weight. You're fine, no need to worry - it will work it's way out of your system.
  • Kona2014
    Kona2014 Posts: 38
    Options
    <Yoda>Too focused on scale. Madness that way lies. Understand big picture you do not</yoda>

:laugh:
  • LilGiselle21
    LilGiselle21 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've don't that than drink double my usual intake of water and it may take a day or 2 but then your weight goes down to where it was before or very very close.