is coffee good or bad?

Options
Miss_Mae3
Miss_Mae3 Posts: 27 Member
Just wondering if black coffee with sweet n low is good or bad for you? I drink a lot at work... Please help?

Replies

• giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've asked this question before and never gotten a real answer. I have coffee every morning, though, and like that it's almost no calories (just the 20 calories worth of creamer that I use).
  • divinexheirocity
    Options
    That's kind of a vague question, but in general, NO i don't think coffee is bad for you. I am generally low carb and drink coffee daily with cream or a little half n half. I don't do sugar or any sweeteners in it, and I'm pretty sure I've read in the past that sweet n low isn't too good for you. Maybe try a more natural sweetener or see if you can stomach it black?

Hope this helps!!! :)
  • Miss_Mae3
    Miss_Mae3 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yea... As far as black coffee, not for me lol. Would splenda be a better alternative? I'm just wondering if caffeine content is dehydrating or if there is anything really horrible about it? I drink like 5 cups a day and it helps me to stay full at work. It keeps me from snacking at my desk.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Coffee goooooood. I like it hot, iced, black, creamy, sugary, java chipped, large, medium, ice creamed, plentiful...
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Black coffee is wonderful! It is the nectar of the gods!! If my spoon does not stand up in it (sans sugar) it is not strong enough!!! It is one of the food groups. My day is not complete without my coffee.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    sweet & low is bad for your taste buds
  • mdmcmillen
    mdmcmillen Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I drink like 4 cups every day with creme (in moderation). I'm creeping up on 40lbs lost so I wouldn't say it's bad for weight loss :) Just keep track of how much you're drinking.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Coffee is fine. Sweet and Low- not good
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I love coffee very much, but I have had some problems with it. Basically, a doctor told me that I have to watch out for the acid in it and try to only have it with food, and reduce my consumption overall. I have some digestive issues.

If you don't have any weird effects from it though, go ahead and enjoy! I know I would.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Good coffee is good. Bad coffee is bad. It is a mild diuretic. No real danger of dehydration. What you put in it determines how many calories. You start with 0. I roaste grind and brew my own. I rarely put anything in it as I want to experience the character of that bean and roast. Kinda of like a good wine. Coffee is fairly high in antioxidants so it does have some health benefit in moderation.
  • beezbee
    beezbee Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wikipedia has a pretty comprehensive list of the benefits and risks of coffee:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_coffee

Summary: When consumed in moderation, the benefits outweigh the risks.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Try Stevia or Agava
  • ScottCadi
    ScottCadi Posts: 56
    Options
    I am just starting out (again) and have a LONG way to go....

BUT! My mom is a retired certified nutritionist, and I had asked her about this. She said that the coffee itself isn't going to hurt you unless you have problems with BP or if it affects any other meds. She gave me a little bit of advice that is actually quite delicious.

Put a little bit of natural cinnamon oil (similar to real vanilla extract) in your coffee. It has a natural sweetener to it, and gives it a great flavor. You can also use the cinnamon powder in your grounds, but I have a Keurig, so I use the extract stuff.

Also, Xylitol is a natural sweetener from birch bark. You can get it on Amazon.com and it is processed much more naturally than most artificial sweeteners. Hope it helps!
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yea... As far as black coffee, not for me lol. Would splenda be a better alternative? I'm just wondering if caffeine content is dehydrating or if there is anything really horrible about it? I drink like 5 cups a day and it helps me to stay full at work. It keeps me from snacking at my desk.

Coffee technically isn't "bad" in moderation. Caffeine isn't "bad" in moderation, but Caffeine is a drug, your body does become chemically dependent on it and constant excessive intake of it over an extended period of time can cause damage to your body, like pretty much any other drug. I would say if you're going to drink 5 cups a day switch to decaf for majority of them. Essentially by drinking more and more caffeine you are building up a tolerance to it, which means you will start to require more and more to get the same effect. I've found at the times where I give up Caffeine or limit my intake to stopping drinking it after say 2pm, I'm much more rested the next morning and my sleep is much better.

So essentially, a non-straight answer (because thats really the only one)

Is coffee bad for you? not really in moderation
    Is caffeine bad for you? Depends on which school of thought among professionals you go with, but generally the consensus is not bad for you in moderation
    Is water better for you to drink? Absolutely.

With all that being said I still drink 2-3 caffeinated drinks a day depending on how tired I am
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have my coffee with Domino Pure Cane sugar at 15 calories a spoonful.... Hate sweet n low and or splenda, equal, etc....
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think it's neither bad or good. I think the danger with coffee ( diet wise) is what you put in the coffee. I have stopped adding sugar and got down to 20 calories of fat free half/half. Sometimes when I'm wanting to eat snacks I have a cup of coffee instead.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Coffee's good. Then it's bad. Then it's good again. I've seen this nonsense in the media regarding coffee go back and forth during my lifetime.

Do you like your coffee? Then drink it. That said, remember coffee is an "upper" and thus, you may get "addicted" to it. Coffee is a bit more addicting than marijuana and chocolate.

Tobacco is the #1 abused drug in the world with Caffeine following behind it at #2, its not the coffee that's addicting, its the caffeine in the coffee and caffeine is actually one of the more addictive drugs out there. it just has a different societal view and acceptance than other drugs. As far addictive properties, its similar to amphetamines as far as your bodys response to forming tolerance and dependence to it. LSD and Ecstasy are actually less addicting and harmful than all 3 of the legal drugs in the world.

With that being said, I still drink drinks with caffeine in them
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I think it's neither bad or good. I think the danger with coffee ( diet wise) is what you put in the coffee. I have stopped adding sugar and got down to 20 calories of fat free half/half. Sometimes when I'm wanting to eat snacks I have a cup of coffee instead.
    This is exactly what I do when I want something sweet. I can't give up my coffee never never never lol.
  • kbd388
    kbd388 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    good or bad, it doesn't matter to me, this is one thing I could never give up!