Cottage Cheese Anyone?

Options

Replies

• ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I love it but why eat something you don't want? What are you replacing? Because like any cheese it has a lot of sodium.

...why eat stuff you hate? this is a lifestyle change..not a diet to just eat restricted foods while losing then go back to old habits when you reach goal!!

:flowerforyou: o.p.

Hey guys, I don't know if I hate it or not --- I haven't tried it before! I have seen lots of people say they like it or at least they seem to eat it a lot, and others hate it. So before I tried it, I just wanted to hear the reasoning behind how people liked it and how they consumed it! :-)
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is delicious! I particularly like it with pineapple in the morning. I also like it with Italian dishes.
  • QueenOfShiba
    QueenOfShiba Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Pears and cottage cheese is my favorite! And mixing cottage cheese with yogurt, as another poster mentioned, is not only a healthy, filling snack, but a pretty tasty combination. Also, I love Ritz crackers with cottage cheese and salad supreme sprinkled on top. Mmm...
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I just bought myself some cottage cheese today, however I am very wary and not particularly looking forward to trying it as I have heard from many that it doesn't taste very nice... Can anyone help me in telling me how they eat their Cottage Cheese - in a tasty way and low calorie (of course!).

Pictures are also most welcome!

Thanks in advance! xxx :smile:

Give it a try and if you don't like it don't eat it. I personally LOVE cottage cheese. I prefer Old Home brand. I used to buy the full fat version. It took some getting used to but I enjoy the Fat Free just was much now.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    First off, the more milk fat it has the tastier it is, right? But to me, anything under 4% milkfat is inedible. I like cottage cheese with salsa and avocados, or with peaches in the morning. I eat it with pickles and seasoning for a quick snack, and as a side dish I dip my chips into it :p
  • bmac1996acc
    Options
    Don't give up on cottage cheese if you've only tried one brand. There are some brands that I can't stomach and I like cottage cheese. The brand I've found that I like the best is Organic Valley followed by Kroger brand. If I'd only tried Breakstone or Daisy I wouldn't like cottage cheese either! I've never tried it with fruit. I usually just eat it by itself. Sometimes I'll blend it as a sour cream substitute if I don't have any greek yogurt.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I just bought myself some cottage cheese today, however I am very wary and not particularly looking forward to trying it as I have heard from many that it doesn't taste very nice... Can anyone help me in telling me how they eat their Cottage Cheese - in a tasty way and low calorie (of course!).

Pictures are also most welcome!

Thanks in advance! xxx :smile:
    I use 1/3 cup of low-fat cottage cheese, 1 teaspoon instant sugar-free pudding, 1 scoop of whey protein powder, 1 cup of water, and 1/2 banana (sliced and frozen) every morning to make my smoothie breakfast. Sometimes I add other fruits, I always add Osteo-Bi-flex powder for my joints, and when I have it, I add Acacia fiber powder as well.

it's a good, filling breakfast and stays with me nicely until lunchtime.
  • PokerChris
    PokerChris Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on cottage cheese if you've only tried one brand. There are some brands that I can't stomach and I like cottage cheese. The brand I've found that I like the best is Organic Valley followed by Kroger brand. If I'd only tried Breakstone or Daisy I wouldn't like cottage cheese either!

I totally agree. I only eat Kroger brand. Those 2 "name" brands were yucky! I don't know...too mushy or something and an unpleasant taste. Maybe they'd be OK in lasagna, but not plain. I like cottage cheese best with canned pears, though pineapple and peaches are good too, as others have mentioned.
  • Jflowwers
    Jflowwers Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I happen to love it. I buy the friendship no salt added 1%. Be careful, some braands have a ton of sodium. I usually have it for a snack and add a half cup of blueberries.
  • tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Some things I add are:

cottage cheese and hamburger (great for low carb diets)
    cottage cheese and tuna (same thing, also super quick)
    cottage cheese and jam
    cottage cheese and fruit (especially cantaloup)

I really haven't strayed too far from those but they are quick, easy, and tasty
  • Racheyj76
    Racheyj76 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love it with garden fresh Tomatoes and just a touch of pepper yum!!
  • rahmyers
    rahmyers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Pb2, FF cottage cheese and splenda with ground flax seed, and splenda it sounds wierd but it's an awsome breakfast!
  • dvnjustina
    dvnjustina Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've only tried it once. I don't mind the taste, but I can't get past the texture. I bought a container of it on sale, so I'm hoping to hide it in recipes.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is delicious with fruit mixed in it. I also use it as a base for some protein shakes, and as a base for low fat/cal creamy homemade mac & cheese. It's also good with a little pepper and pickles. :)
  • melann1974
    melann1974 Posts: 84
    Options
    I love cottage cheese. I love pairing it with fresh fruit (apples, pears, etc). I also love it plain with just a sprinkle of pepper on it.
  • BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    I mix fruit in mine.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    I like my cottage cheese with pepper and dry roasted sunflower seeds. So yummy on salad.
  • nene01pop
    nene01pop Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like it, but I use a 1/4 cup on some of my salads, because I love to pour on the RANCH... so if I use cottage cheese and only the 2 tbls of ranch, I save myself on cals but not texture or flavor. And for a snack.. 1/4 and sliced cucumbers or tomatoes is YUMMY
  • dpagz
    dpagz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    a few ways i do is add a tables spoon of strawberry jam, or a teaspoon of brown sugar.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Canned sugar-free peaches!!! I always add them to my cottage cheese :-D