Does it matter what i eat as long as i burn it off

Options

Replies

• nmullins81
    nmullins81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    moderation is always key. When you do have Pizza have only the serving recommended not 3-4 slices or whatever. I think of course it is blowing the workout it for the day if someone tons eats junk. But I also think a person doesn't need to be completely restricted all the time, other wise it because a battle of will.

^^^This!!^^^
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If that's ALL you're eating, then it will matter. But if you're filling your nutritional needs with fruits, veggies, healthy fats, lean proteins, etc.... then a little indulgence here and there isn't going to hurt you.

THIS! Even the Twinkie guy ate some healthy foods alongside.
    Also easy to underestimate calories with lots of junky food.
  • NurseJodies
    NurseJodies Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Have you tried substituting better choices? For example: a lean cuisine pizza, a weight watcher ice cream, or ezekial bread? I started with these changes and now I'm eating fruit for desert and skipping the pizza all together.... I'm still new to this, but every week is a little easier than the last.

The little research I've done shows that eating the way you describe really sabatoges weight loss. It causes fluctuations in sugar, insulin excretion and subsequent drops in blood sugar. The resulting drops in sugar cause you to be more hungry. Knowing this makes it a little easier for me to avoid the pitfalls of dessert.

Nutrition by Natalie- says that cravings result from nutrients we are missing. I'm still sorting this out, but I'm hoping that improving my nutrition will help minimize those unhealthy cravings.
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    No one is suggesting that people should deny themselves of the pleasures in life. I loved weekly pizza, burgers & fries, and my daily mountain dew. They were my pleasures in life. One day I just made the commitment to go 6 weeks without these things, count calories, watch closely what I ate, exercise daily, and see what happened. It wasn't as difficult knowing in my mind it was only for a set period of time. At the end of those 6 weeks, I lost 15 pounds and my clothes fit much better. I quickly learned how I felt, and how I looked, was another "pleasure in life" for me. I still have the occasional slice and burger once in a while (but the mt. dew is out) but no where near as often as before and I have zero regrets.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    of course it matters. Weight isn't the only measure of health. There's cholesterol, blood pressure, fat percentage, etc.. Eating those foods in moderation is fine, but I wouldn't make it a daily thing. I will never completely give up my favorites "bad" foods, but I eat much less of them now.

what she said!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    To the every day person? Not a huge amount. For someone who trains/competes or wants the best fat burning effects - yes it does.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    You can drink pure sugar water for the calories to exist but you will not thrive.

By all means enjoy those foods but throw in some food that is good for you.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Im only going to say this once....SUGAR IS THE DEVIL!!!!!!!
    Anytime a person eats over 30g of sugar in a meal (this applies to male and female) the body will begin to produce insulin which SLOWS DOWN the fat burning process you worked so hard for to a complete crawl. Ever eat ahigh sugar meal and get that 2:30 feeling and feel bloated??? Guess why!?! Your body is freaking out!! All that bloating is not water weight its caused by your body stopping the fat burn in its tracks!!!! What was fat about to be burned is now stored IMMEDIATELY due to high insulin levels!

Well then I guess protein is the devil because it spikes insulin just as much as sugar!
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

If only things were as simple as some people make them seem.........
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Anytime a person eats over 30g of sugar in a meal (this applies to male and female) the body will begin to produce insulin which SLOWS DOWN the fat burning process you worked so hard for to a complete crawl. Ever eat ahigh sugar meal and get that 2:30 feeling and feel bloated??? Guess why!?! Your body is freaking out!! All that bloating is not water weight its caused by your body stopping the fat burn in its tracks!!!! What was fat about to be burned is now stored IMMEDIATELY due to high insulin levels!

Well then I guess protein is the devil because it spikes insulin just as much as sugar!

When is the last time you went on a protein binge? Yeah thought not.

I know protein releases insulin. People however do not eat protein in the same way they eat carbohydrate rich food.
  • mulcahya
    mulcahya Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, it's as simple as calories in vs. calories out. So yes, you can lose weight eating rubbish as long as you exercise it off.

However if you are eating high fat, high sugary foods, you'll stay flabby.

You also will increase your risk (dramatically) of heart attack, stroke, diabetes, etc.

And it's so much easier to eat 500Cal too much of rubbish!

I think it's right what everyone else has basically been saying - it's about lifestyle change, not just calorie input vs output. Overall you want to be eating healthier and exercising more, but you can still indulge from time to time. I have a few recipes for low cal baked goods (cookies etc.) for a sugary treat when I want to, and still keeps within my caloric limits. I also have a tradition with my boyfriend to have a specific burger place for tea on a Friday night, so I exercise more on that day than on others. But on the whole, I try to eat healthier.

I think if you try to cut everything out altogether, your rate of giving in is higher, but by trying to make your overall lifestyle healthier, whilst still having junk food from time to time, you'll do a lot better in the long run!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I know protein releases insulin. People however do not eat protein in the same way they eat carbohydrate rich food.

I agree with that Matt, but is the problem sugar or is the problem having common sense and self control? Does sugar control the person or does the person control thier sugar intake?
    Also, if someone is consuming some sugar but is in calorie deficit, does the sugar store as fat? The whole argumment of the post is a demonization of sugar and insulin. FTR, I am a firm believer in limiting sugar in the diet. It's the oversimplification and demonizing that I don't agree with. The Devil indeed!
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Arguably as has been shown in studies, the hit people get off sugar is rather like drugs and endorphin release - arguably the brain craving the release is what controls some people.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I agree with Matt. Reducing and coming off sugar was a bit like coming off a drug. Very similar to reducing caffeine intake in my experience. You feed fatigued without it, get headaches, feel irritable and grumpy, you think you "need" it. But once you come out the other side, I found I don't miss it.

I came from an endurance sport background where I was indoctrinated into the whole "carbloading" lifestyle. Meals were mainly anything with pasta in vast quantities. Even on long training runs and rides you were encouraged to consume sugar/carbs in the form of jelly babies, carb gels, sports drinks etc. You think it's ok because you're training 3 hours a day, but it's not.

Now my only sugar comes from fruit or the occasional bit of Green & Blacks 85% dark chocolate. And I've reduced bread, pasta and rice quite substantially. Initially it felt hard, like I had zero energy, but now I feel great. I can still breeze through double spin (100 minutes) even on a relatively small amount of carbs and my performance is no worse.

Other than the weight loss and the inch loss, I've also experienced some other NSVs from eating more protein & good fats / less carbs. When I have a cut or a bruise now it seems to heal a lot quicker. My hair is much healthier, and my nails are strong and growing faster.

What irks me a bit is when people (like some posts here) insinuate that I am "depriving" myself from "enjoying" certain foods, and that somehow life without doughnuts and cheap burgers isn't worth living. I don't feel deprived of anything and I've never felt better.
  • c_wall87
    c_wall87 Posts: 18
    Options

I agree with that Matt, but is the problem sugar or is the problem having common sense and self control? Does sugar control the person or does the person control thier sugar intake?
    Also, if someone is consuming some sugar but is in calorie deficit, does the sugar store as fat? The whole argumment of the post is a demonization of sugar and insulin. FTR, I am a firm believer in limiting sugar in the diet. It's the oversimplification and demonizing that I don't agree with. The Devil indeed!

LMAO!! I need to check back here more often! I completely agree with....wait for it........BOTH. Keep in mind that no matter what you eat your body will produce insulin. However protein does not spike insulin as much as sugar. Ask me how I know....from checking my glucose/insulin levels before and after strict meals and before and after workouts. Your body treats every food and compound differently. Sheesh didnt mean to get anyones panties in a twist.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    "when did you last go on a protein binge" made me laugh though!! :laugh:

Good point well made. :smokin:
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I think all things are ok in moderation...I'm sure you'll see faster/better results if you eat totally clean, but I also think we are human, and life should be enjoyed...as long as it is in moderation and fits you calorie goals, don't feel bad.

^this
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want. I never gave up any of those things just reduced my portions. It's not as clean eating as some choose but it's easier to maintain in my opinion. Calories in calories out.
  • jimbo_a_logo
    jimbo_a_logo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    See food pyramid.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Making poor food choices can still lead to high cholesterol, high blood pressure, issues with triglycerides...etc. Regardless of what the scale tells you. So being a "lightweight" doesn't ensure you are healthy.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    of course it matters. Weight isn't the only measure of health. There's cholesterol, blood pressure, fat percentage, etc.. Eating those foods in moderation is fine, but I wouldn't make it a daily thing. I will never completely give up my favorites "bad" foods, but I eat much less of them now.

Exactly.