Replies

• afl0405
    afl0405 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    My main concern with calorie restrictive diets has to do with how people respond when a)their bodies plateau and b)they switch to maintenance. I see a lot of threads by those who plateau and their solution is to cut calories even more. Furthermore, once they reach maintenance, they experience weight gain so they return to their previous intake. In short, they become prone to eating disorders and have a very difficult time adjusting to and continuing maintenance.

If people choose to restrict their calories to such a degree, it isn't all that bad if its maintained for a very brief period - lets say three months at a time. However, too many people maintain such restriction for years which puts them at health risks including eating disorders, hormonal imbalances, nutrient deficiencies, etc..
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    For the 1200 cals: What's calorie plan once you're done losing? Continue eating 1200 into perpetuity for fear of gaining again?

If someone told me that upon reaching my goal weight of 120 lbs that I would have eat 1200 cals for the rest of my life, they would get punched in the face.

My plan is the same as it is for everyone else eating at a deficit to lose weight--slowly up my calories to find my maintenance number and then eat that + exercise calories.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Works for me....been here since January... :)

As for the what are you going to do after you are done losing question...I plan on eating the same way, MORE veggies, MORE fruit and staying away from the packaged stuff. I feel healthier, I feel stronger and outside of rare occasions, I think I will be just fine! This is a 'lifestyle change" after all! LOL!
  • lizblizz28
    lizblizz28 Posts: 166
    Options

The problem with not eating enough is a large % of your weight loss will come from lean muscle, not just fat. Higher protein will help but not eliminate the loss of lean muscle.

^^ this is actually very accurate.

If there is fat to burn, your body burns mostly fat and yes some lean muscle too. I've reduced my body fat from 25%-21% eating approx. 1200 calories, 95% clean, lifting heavy weights and having a cheat day twice a month.

There are folks who swear by starvation mode and folks that call it a myth. When I researched the subject, the opinions were 50/50.

The human body can only burn so much fat in a day.
    And while fed will normally burn glucose.
    So the question I have is if you can get the same results eating at a slight deficit and thus not having such a negative effect on hormones used for fat loss....why 1200?

I have women who are short, 4'11"-5'3", who eat in excess of 1800+ cals a day and workout 3x a week losing fat and not having issues with plateaus.
    I see hundreds of forum threads a month about 1200cals and plateaus....so why would you want to give up vital nutrients in hopes of losing fat faster than you could eating at say 20-30% below TDEE?

This isnt some cookie cutter program.
    It should be based around actual data like age, height, weight and body fat.

Short?
    Tall?
    Medium?

Doesnt matter.

I've come to a point where I can look at a woman and tell how much she should be eating by height, weight and age.
    I've never come to 1200.

Could you tell me how much I should be eating please?
    I'm about 5'6, 21, and 150 lbs. I'm not sure what my body fat % is now, but before I started exercising and was about 8 lbs heavier I was at 26%
    So far I've been trying to net between 1200 to 1500.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 1200-1300 calories a day. Some days I'm slightly under, some days I'm over.

When I exercise significantly more (like long weekend bike rides or hikes) I eat a bit more.

I'm 5'5", weigh 164.4 (as of this morning) and am mostly sedentary (desk job).

I eat healthy the vast majority of the time and allow myself treats on occasion.

I don't care what anyone thinks about it. It works for me. Looks like somethign similar works for many of you too. Wahoo.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    For the 1200 cals: What's calorie plan once you're done losing? Continue eating 1200 into perpetuity for fear of gaining again?

If someone told me that upon reaching my goal weight of 120 lbs that I would have eat 1200 cals for the rest of my life, they would get punched in the face.

uh... of course not. Once I get to my goal weight, I'll try to find a way to keep to that weight. that will probably mean upping calories, but by how much, I'll have to see when I get there. Right now my BMR is 1280 (because I'm relatively close to goal and 5'1) - let's say when I get to my goal, the BMR will be 1200; approx 300 extra for daily activities/sedentary job would make it 1500 per day. Plus any excercise calories. But, as I said I'll have to see what my body wants and how it reacts to the new balance and go from there. I'm no marathon runner so I'll never make it to the "female average" of 2000 calories per day: in fact, that's probably why I gained so much in the first place. I'm no average female. I'm short, and I should have eaten accordingly, but noooo...

anyways, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Looking forward to upping my fruit intake though :D
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You are obviously educated in your decisions, so go for it! I, too, am supposed to eat about 1200 calories a day IF I don't get any excercise, so I appreciate the tips! Keep doing what you're doing and I wish you the best!
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have days when I net less than 1200 cals. If I've done a long or intense bike ride, I simply can't eat enough to put the calories back, so the next day I try to eat more. I'm aiming for 1890 a day, but because of my training schedule, I try and look at it over the week as opposed to day by day, and so long as I have on average netted my BMR for the week (which is 1435) then I don't worry. I allow myself a rest and indulgence day on a Friday.

The reason I eat 1890 cals a day for weight loss is because I am a very active cyclist and I spend anything from 4-8 hours a week on a bike of some variety, whether commuting to work on my road bike, mountain biking, spinning or training on a stationary bike. I was also weight training until I got a shoulder injury from a fall.

Were I not active, I would be reducing my calorie intake and I don't see a problem with that. Horses for courses. But I agree, it is not healthy from a nutritional POV to NET less than 1200 cals, as a general rule.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Before I read anybody's comments. I check their ticker..lol
    When a program works, keep punching.
    I lost an average of .73 lbs per week, and I believe slower weight loss is optimal.
    It's not a race.
    Good Luck!
  • ilysejohnson
    ilysejohnson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat the same way, mostly! It's quantity + quality of what you eat.... Plus, all bodies are different. Not everyone's metabolism is the same. Age, hormones and heredity play a part. I say if it's working for you, keep going!
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My daily intake is set at 1450 - I don't always reach that - in fact I don't think I ever do, unless I'm having a weekend at the in-laws etc - When I do exercise, I don't always eat my calories back, so I'm always left with around 400-500 cals per day -But I eat reasonably healthy, and the food I eat is enough to sustain me during the day if I'm hungry later, then I ave calories left to "eat back" - works for different people - I actually struggle to eat back my calories
  • KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Options
    I totally agree with you!! I'm on a 1200 calorie intake, always stay right below 1200 ( usually) and I eat all day long!!! I eat lots of fresh non processed food. It is totally possible and I am very satisfied. I have plenty of energy to do complete my work outs and take care of my son and house chores...haha.

It really bothers me how people bash 1200 calorie people. Feel free to check out my diary... like I said usually a very healthy eater but we have cheat days :smile:

Thank you for posting!!!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    So after spending 45 minutes reading about how I "should be banned" because of my diet.. thank you oh shirtless arrogant one, I thought I'd offer just a little advice to my friends who are doing a 1200 calorie diet and having a little struggle with it. 1200 can be pretty tough because it's not a lot. But, 1200 produces results. Especially in those of us that are vertically challenged and have an ideal weight of 115 or so.

To be fair the post was about people consistently eating UNDER 1200 calories as it encourages unhealthy eating habits (eating too little). It wasnt slating people who NET 1200 a day.

Also, the OP is the very OPPOSITE of the kind of people the guy was slating. You eat good, healthy nutritious food and eat back exercise calories.

Not really. He didn't say anything about whether the food was healthy or not. He said those that eat under 1200 should be banned.

@OP good for you!
  • AeCherie
    AeCherie Posts: 3
    Options
    Great post! Before I would have chosen the cheeseburger, coke, and cookie route, but I hope to choose the healthier one from now on. :)
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    So after spending 45 minutes reading about how I "should be banned" because of my diet.. thank you oh shirtless arrogant one, I thought I'd offer just a little advice to my friends who are doing a 1200 calorie diet and having a little struggle with it. 1200 can be pretty tough because it's not a lot. But, 1200 produces results. Especially in those of us that are vertically challenged and have an ideal weight of 115 or so.

My thoughts...

It is not hard to be full on a 1200 calorie diet when your diet consists of high protein and high fiber fresh fruits and veggies and healthy fats. I don't eat breads, pastas, grains, and only light dairy. I don't eat much processed foods at all- a rare treat. Everything I put in my body has nutritional value, digests slowly, and is loaded with the vitamins and minerals that I need to function well.

So if you are eating 1200 cals a day and those 1200 cals are a 300 cal double chz burger, a 200 calorie coke, a 200 calorie pro shake (cuz ur trying to take the advice of all the "wonderful and supportive people") a 100 cal banana, a 100 cal pack of choco cookies, and a turkey burger and sweet potato fries for dinner- yeh.. ur gonna be hungry, ur body isn't getting the nutrition it needs, and you probably are not going to make it.

But if you are eating 1200 calories and those 1200 calories are ..

200 cal shake for breakfast (25 pro/9 fiber **GNC lean 25**) with 100 cal banana
    100 cal serving of almonds
    200 cal chicken breast with a salad loaded with broccoli, cucumber, carrots, avocado, mushrooms, red peppers, and fresh salsa instead of dressing
    150 cal cup of fruit
    450 cal steak with sauteed zucchini, squash in olive oil herbs and spices and a few grape tomatoes

^^ probably going to feel pretty satisfied after 25 grams of fiber and 100+ grams of protein ^^

Disclosure- if the processed stuff mentioned above works for you.. AWESOME and enjoy. If you don't want to eat 1200 calories, and you want/do eat more.. AWESOME and enjoy. If you think I should be eating more than 1200 calories I'm sure you are an AWESOME person but your opinion is irrelevant to my life/weight loss. I'm good with what i do. Thanks for caring though. :)

Hezz

Well said.
  • LittleMissClaireBear
    Options
    I eat 1200 ... but im also a type1 diabetic and i have hypothyroidism .. i tried eating 1500+ and gained weight .. i also exercise but only when my body allows me ... i dont think 1200 cals is starvation mode, i think everyone on here is their own person and if they wanna ruin their bodies, let em .. just focus on you :) ... Altho, the thread i read before this one should be aimed at the people who are promoting eating disorders .. ive had a couple of ppl add me on here who encourage fasting ... encourage people to be less than 100lbs and encourage this ABC diet where they eat 500 cals one day, n fast the next .... now thats bleeding unhealthy !!! they should be the ones who are deleted from MFP!!
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options

My thoughts...

It is not hard to be full on a 1200 calorie diet when your diet consists of high protein and high fiber fresh fruits and veggies and healthy fats. I don't eat breads, pastas, grains, and only light dairy. I don't eat much processed foods at all- a rare treat. Everything I put in my body has nutritional value, digests slowly, and is loaded with the vitamins and minerals that I need to function well.

So if you are eating 1200 cals a day and those 1200 cals are a 300 cal double chz burger, a 200 calorie coke, a 200 calorie pro shake (cuz ur trying to take the advice of all the "wonderful and supportive people") a 100 cal banana, a 100 cal pack of choco cookies, and a turkey burger and sweet potato fries for dinner- yeh.. ur gonna be hungry, ur body isn't getting the nutrition it needs, and you probably are not going to make it.

But if you are eating 1200 calories and those 1200 calories are ..

200 cal shake for breakfast (25 pro/9 fiber **GNC lean 25**) with 100 cal banana
    100 cal serving of almonds
    200 cal chicken breast with a salad loaded with broccoli, cucumber, carrots, avocado, mushrooms, red peppers, and fresh salsa instead of dressing
    150 cal cup of fruit
    450 cal steak with sauteed zucchini, squash in olive oil herbs and spices and a few grape tomatoes

^^ probably going to feel pretty satisfied after 25 grams of fiber and 100+ grams of protein ^^

Disclosure- if the processed stuff mentioned above works for you.. AWESOME and enjoy. If you don't want to eat 1200 calories, and you want/do eat more.. AWESOME and enjoy. If you think I should be eating more than 1200 calories I'm sure you are an AWESOME person but your opinion is irrelevant to my life/weight loss. I'm good with what i do. Thanks for caring though. :)

Hezz

I agree with nearly everything that you wrote here. If the average woman eats slightly less than 1,200 calories, mostly from protein and fat, and supplements with a GMP certified multivitamin, it's not difficult to imagine her being satiated, nourished, and very successful in her fat loss journey.

As a 6'0" man, I ate 1,800-1,900 calories a day for most of my weight loss journey -- mostly fat and protein -- and supplemented with a GMP certified multivitamin, and I lost 103 lbs., 86% of which was from fat, and I was satiated the entire time. And, it only took 6 months.
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Before I read anybody's comments. I check their ticker..lol
    When a program works, keep punching.
    I lost an average of .73 lbs per week, and I believe slower weight loss is optimal.
    It's not a race.
    Good Luck!

Excellent!! :wink: it's taken me six years so far to lose 80lbs and I am not done yet - it's a life long change for me and losing slowly means I will keep it off and have less loose skin than I would have had if I lost it all too quickly. Having said that, my portion sizes have changed considerably over the years and most days I eat around 1100-1200 calories without getting hungry - my meals are split into 5 to 6 small meals a day.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I am on 1200 and I eat a crap ton of protein. Keeps you full and satisfied and I certainly do not feel deprived. The exercise you do matters as well because the more intense something is the more cals you get back. I usually net 1200 but eat anywhere from 1300-1500 calories daily because I love kickboxing and other intense cardio exercises. I think 1200 works just fine for some people, and others choose to say it's unhealthy because they don't have the discipline to stick within that amount daily. And guess what...on cheat days I eat more! Hell, I think we are pretty normal. :-)