If low carb works, why are people still fat?

Options

Replies

• Puddles0308
    Options
    This was entertaining to say the least.

I love how everyone is dead set on being the obesity genius. There is not one single solution that will work for everyone across the board. Low carb works for some and low carb doesnt work for others.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I love how everyone is dead set on being the obesity genius. There is not one single solution that will work for everyone across the board. Low carb works for some and low carb doesnt work for others.

Yes there is, it's called a calorie deficit
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Yes there is, it's called a calorie deficit

Agreed although my "deficits" are failing me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There's also growing evidence that humans in general can't handle gluten very well (ie - that gluten intolerance isn't nearly as rare as once believed), and that a good portion of the population may actually have subclinical intolerance to it, which has often been linked to a host of non-descript problems (part of what makes it so difficult to diagnose), which can directly and indirectly lead to weight gain and/or difficulty losing weight.

Where is this growing evidence??

I'm not at all sure that's true, but even if it were, not all grains contain gluten so it would not be a reason to cut out grains completely.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1373929/

http://kalishresearch.com/a_gluten.html
    Specifically:
    Gluten intolerance has a genetic basis, meaning it passes from generation to generation. Gluten intolerance is found most frequently in those with Irish, English, Scottish, Scandinavian, and other Northern European and Eastern European heritages. The research study published in the British Medical Journal in November of 1998 found previously unheard numbers of people suffering from celiac disease, the medical condition related to gluten intolerance. They found approximately one in 150 people with this condition. It is suspected the levels of sub-clinical gluten intolerance are much higher, perhaps as high as one in three Americans.

One study is "growing evidence"? I suppose that is growth from zero, so I stand corrected.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Though, really, part of the success of LCD is that it's damn hard to eat tons of calories when you're just eating proteins and fats . Built in calorie deficit.

In equal amounts, fat has more than twice the calories of carbs. Why would it be harder to go over on calories with fats than with carbs? Fats are my downfall in calories. If I ate low fat I could eat much more volume than I do now.
  • tzeoli86
    tzeoli86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Low carb diets really grind my gears. Im pretty sure this thread has the potential to start a war.

Ever tried it? Or slamming it without trying first?
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I am not a low carb pusher, but this article is not balanced.
    The reason people are fat is always the same thing.
    We eat to much and are too lazy to exercise.

Let's not make rocket science out of what is simple...:bigsmile:

Well said.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I didn't say I'd never been overweight, I said I'd never been obese. They are different. But you are correct that I've never been a binge eater. I've never felt out of control with food.

Just because someone has never been obese, or even overweight, doesn't mean they don't know about will power. In fact, it's arguable that they know much more about it than someone who has let their weight get out of control because they've been using will power all their life to prevent getting fat.
    I wasn't questioning your will power I was responding to your statement, "This is a pretty ridiculous post. Why would a low carb diet take less will power than any other diet?"
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options

Agreed. I do believe some people are more sensitive to carbs than others.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If dieting or exercise works, why are people still fat ?

Probably because they aren't dieting and exercising properly...
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Silly debate. Depends on the person and their level of activity, period.

I started out low carb and low impact exercise. Then I started running so, I HAD to add in more carbs for fuel.

Everyone is different and the same thing doesn't work for everyone.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    There's also growing evidence that humans in general can't handle gluten very well (ie - that gluten intolerance isn't nearly as rare as once believed), and that a good portion of the population may actually have subclinical intolerance to it, which has often been linked to a host of non-descript problems (part of what makes it so difficult to diagnose), which can directly and indirectly lead to weight gain and/or difficulty losing weight.

I'm not at all sure that's true, but even if it were, not all grains contain gluten so it would not be a reason to cut out grains completely.

Specifically:
    Gluten intolerance has a genetic basis, meaning it passes from generation to generation. Gluten intolerance is found most frequently in those with Irish, English, Scottish, Scandinavian, and other Northern European and Eastern European heritages. The research study published in the British Medical Journal in November of 1998 found previously unheard numbers of people suffering from celiac disease, the medical condition related to gluten intolerance. They found approximately one in 150 people with this condition. It is suspected the levels of sub-clinical gluten intolerance are much higher, perhaps as high as one in three Americans.

One study is "growing evidence"? I suppose that is growth from zero, so I stand corrected.

Lol of course that author didn't reference the actual study, but here

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC28710/

Which was based on this one

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8783763
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Patient: The problem is obesity runs in my family.
    Doctor: The problem is that nobody runs in your family.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Specifically:

I linked to a couple of studies as an example to get you started. If you would like more, feel free to look up "subclinical gluten intolerance" or "subclinical gluten insensitivity." You're also welcome to dig further into the increased numbers of Celiac and gluten intolerance diagnoses thanks to new levels of screening (which has helped to diagnose the people who aren't experiencing the more extreme symptoms).
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say my diet is low carb but it is MUCH lower in carbs than it used to be and I am pleased with the results.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Though, really, part of the success of LCD is that it's damn hard to eat tons of calories when you're just eating proteins and fats . Built in calorie deficit.

In equal amounts, fat has more than twice the calories of carbs. Why would it be harder to go over on calories with fats than with carbs? Fats are my downfall in calories. If I ate low fat I could eat much more volume than I do now.

Fat is purported to make you feel full easier/quicker, and because it doesn't have the glucose dump into the blood stream, you don't get the effects of elevated-then-decreasing blood sugar levels that you get with carbs (in other words - your blood glucose levels are more stable). So, you don't feel hungry, or start getting shaky, dizzy, or lethargic after a couple of hours after eating. So, while the same volume of food in a given meal might equate to more calories, and even if you ate the same volume (which, if you feel full quicker, you might not eat the same volume), you don't feel the need to eat as frequently throughout the day, and instead of eating, say, 5 times per day, you might eat 2 or 3 times, which can result in a net reduction of calorie consumption.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    If ANY DIET worked, people would not still be obese in this Country. A TRUE Lifestyle Change USING MODERATION, HEALTHIER FOOD and Beverage Choices, Moderate Exercise and PATIENCE WILL WORK. I Guarantee IT!!! If what you are doing is NOT SUSTAINABLE for Life with some Tweaking as you go through Life Phases...then it's a FAD, whether food or exercise!!!

There is NO magic to Weight loss, maintenance, good health... See Above^^^ EVERYTHING ELSE is a FAD>>>Low Carb, Eat Clean, Eat More to Weigh Less, HGH, ... Jillian Michael Work Outs, P90x, Running (especially on concrete or asphalt), any Extreme workout...
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    If dieting or exercise works, why are people still fat ?

Because human beings are falliable (and sometimes very deluded) and either underestimate how many calories they are consuming through diet, over estimate how many calories they are burning through activity or a combination of both.

Low carb does play well for many people but that is because in many instances they replace carbs with increased protein and fat. These both are good for satiety and stabilising blood sugar levels leading to less cravings, less over eating and spontaneously eating less calories than your TDEE. Coupled with the nice psychological boost that low carb dieting gives in the early stages given improved appearance caused mostly by water loss this leads to good dietary adherence.

Low carb stops working when the dieter takes it to mean "a can shovel as much food and utter junk down my gullet than is humanely possible as long as it is not carbs" thus meaning they consistently exceed their TDEE.

Low carb "blame it on inshuuuuulin but lets ignore everything else involved including ASP" is the new dogma which has replaced low fat. It is just as misguided.

Great answer!