Do You Ride a Motorcycle?

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Up in Canada, we don't have the MSF, but we do have similar. I won't even touch a bike until I've passed the course.

Not a fan of cruisers. My background in mountain biking, where I loved to go fast and be able to move around on top of my bike to go where I want to go (much like a sports bike).

A 650 is actually slower than a 600cc - The SV650 engine is used in Suki's cruisers. They're designed more for low-rpm torque and don't rev nearly as high as pocket rockets. Much easier to drive.

Heck, I know of a tiny sub-120 lb girl who rides one and she loves it! She's a great rider, but is very, very cautious. She was surprised by how easy it was to ride.

I'm a tall guy. 6', 35" inseam. If anything, a bike will be too short for me.
  • VTXJOCKEY
    VTXJOCKEY Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    The MSF course will also give you a break on insurance premiums.
  • mmeddleton
    mmeddleton Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Deleted post. Trying to figure out how to post pictures.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I read his post as well.

Would you seriously consider a bike with 100hp good for a beginner? Really?

I don't want a litre bike, and not sure if I ever will want one. 650's already have decent power, and I like my vehicles to be as light as possible. 1L bikes are heavier, usually, right? lol

I sound like I don't know jack!
    It's not the Horsepower that will get you tossed off; it's the torque.
    Two of my previous bikes were the RC51 and the GSXR1300 (Hayabusa)
    Now, the Busa was an amazingingly FAST motorcycle with around 150 HP to the RC51 "only" putting out somewhere around 115.
    But, the TORQUE is what makes the front wheel aim for the sky and the RC51 has TONS of it.

All of the bikes I listed are between 80 and 100 HP but, unless you REALLY crack the throttle HARD, you will have a hard time standing one up on the rear wheel. That will keep you safe.
    At least until you have few thousand miles of riding under your belt. THEN you can go bigger if you want.
    The 600 series bikes are very "flickable" but it really does come down to the rider and his or her abilities.
    a good rider on a FZR600 will outride a crappy rider on an R6.

If you get one of these bikes used, you will save a ton of money and, once you decide to take the training wheels off and get something a bit more "you", you can sell that used bike at a minimal financial loss (if any).

Ah, I understand. I never had it explained to me that way.
  • Long_and_Lean
    Long_and_Lean Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I read his post as well.

Would you seriously consider a bike with 100hp good for a beginner? Really?

I don't want a litre bike, and not sure if I ever will want one. 650's already have decent power, and I like my vehicles to be as light as possible. 1L bikes are heavier, usually, right? lol

I sound like I don't know jack!
    It's not the Horsepower that will get you tossed off; it's the torque.
    Two of my previous bikes were the RC51 and the GSXR1300 (Hayabusa)
    Now, the Busa was an amazingingly FAST motorcycle with around 150 HP to the RC51 "only" putting out somewhere around 115.
    But, the TORQUE is what makes the front wheel aim for the sky and the RC51 has TONS of it.

All of the bikes I listed are between 80 and 100 HP but, unless you REALLY crack the throttle HARD, you will have a hard time standing one up on the rear wheel. That will keep you safe.
    At least until you have few thousand miles of riding under your belt. THEN you can go bigger if you want.
    The 600 series bikes are very "flickable" but it really does come down to the rider and his or her abilities.
    a good rider on a FZR600 will outride a crappy rider on an R6.

If you get one of these bikes used, you will save a ton of money and, once you decide to take the training wheels off and get something a bit more "you", you can sell that used bike at a minimal financial loss (if any).

"it's not the horsepower, it's the torque"

THIS. 1000 TIMES.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    '09 Harley Road King. IMO one of the most comfortable bikes on the road for long rides.

11826422_6308.jpg

It takes the curves pretty well too...
  • HarleyQuinn_12
    HarleyQuinn_12 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Buy a Triumph Scrambler.
    Scrambler900_MattBlack_RHS.jpg

Cheers.
    -wtk

Love this bike! Nice choice.
  • mmeddleton
    Options
    I ride a Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited. I've been riding for 40 years and have always had a bike since I was 19. Typically ride >15K miles per year.

4-21-2012_1090small.jpg

63.jpg
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    <<<<<
    Me on my 2002 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic in Sturgis a couple of years ago.

I've had rockets, a honda shadow, a virago and a night hawk.

Nothing compares to a Harley, resale value is excellent and they have a wide variety of bikes fit for beginners and new riders.

Sturgis 2012 in 3 weeks baby! Yeah!!!!!!
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I ride a Yamaha Roadliner 1900CC. Pic in my profile. I ride because I absolutely love it.
  • jly33403
    jly33403 Posts: 49
    Options
    My dad has a Harley Dinoglide, and I want my own so badly. Because of how dangerous they are, he won't let me get one while I'm living under his roof. Once I move out though, I hope to save enough to buy my own, preferably pink with some sort of glitter.
  • mmeddleton
    Options
    Deleted duplicate post.
  • moparpat
    moparpat Posts: 30
    Options
    I have a 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 FI, I ride when I have to go to LA or other places that have heavy traffic. It's also fun to drive on nice days, I'll take it to work when I don't have to go to the gym...lts alot of fun
  • Starzy696
    Starzy696 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I ride dirt bikes! Either a Honda 450 CRF or a Honda 150 CRF :)
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have a Suzuki GSXR 750 love it. It's also great on gas, maybe $10 a week...vs. my car which is $45.
  • demningoreilly
    Options
    I have a 96 harley fat boy.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    1986 V-Twin Honda Shadow 750, shaft drive...... If I could afford a K series BMW I would go for it. :wink:
  • demningoreilly
    Options
    I have a 96 harley fat boy.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I'm a tall guy. 6', 35" inseam. If anything, a bike will be too short for me.
    You might actually have a problem with being too squished on a few bikes.
    Personally, I would not even consider a CBR600RR anymore simply because it squishes me up too much (I am 5-11).
    However, you DO have the advantage of youth on your side so you can handle a crampled riding position much longer then I can.

I used to be in LOVE with the Honda 919 streetfighter... until I rode it. It felt like I was sitting on a Rebel 250. My knees were WAY too high. I was heartbroken. Now, I am pretty much forced to ride the larger bikes simply for comfort.
  • Suzy81123
    Suzy81123 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I ride a 2011 Harley Davidson Deluxe. I ride because I love it. I love having control over the bike. I love the wind in my hair. I love everything about motorcycles! Ever since I was young, I always had the love for motorcycles. My boyfriend rides. He has had many different bikes over the years (all Harleys) and I was always on the back and didn't mind, but one day I decided to go for it and as a present to myself for finishing my Masters degree, I decided to finally go take the course, I passed, and I bought my Deluxe. I chose the Deluxe because anytime I looked at bikes, I always loved the softail family (Heritage, Fat Boy, etc...) and the Deulxe fit me perfectly since I'm only 4'10" =) Good luck in your adventure and choose the bike that fits you...