• Coco_UK
    Coco_UK Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Vespa PX125!

I know I know.....! :-)
  • dcsump2
    dcsump2 Posts: 73
    Options
    Used to have a Yamaha R6, which was plenty. I'd get it up to 120mph in no time. Now that I have kids, I sold the crotch rocket and drive an 1100 Honda Shadow, which is perfect for me.
  • bartcal
    bartcal Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My first bike was an '01 Harley DynaGlide Sport - still sorry I sold it. I bought it before I'd taken the MSF and had second thoughts about owning a bike several times during rides until after I took the course. I had learned how to ride about 20 years earlier and all I can say is thank goodness I waited until I was older to get a mc. I would've killed myself when I was younger, since I can feel the "speed monster" lurking around me.

My current mc is an 03 Harley Heritage Softail Classic. I prefer longer rides and have ridden cross country several times.

Good luck with whatever motorcycle you end up with and be safe, but have fun.
  • khelser
    khelser Posts: 27
    Options
    [/quote]
    Sturgis 2012 in 3 weeks baby! Yeah!!!!!!
    [/quote]

Heck yeah!!!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!

I ride a '06 HD ElectaGlide Classic, my husband rides an '01. Can't wait to make the trip from OH to Sturgis!
    We have actually made riding a family thing. My HD has a sidecar so our kids can ride too!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Up in Canada, we don't have the MSF, but we do have similar. I won't even touch a bike until I've passed the course.

Not a fan of cruisers. My background in mountain biking, where I loved to go fast and be able to move around on top of my bike to go where I want to go (much like a sports bike).

A 650 is actually slower than a 600cc - The SV650 engine is used in Suki's cruisers. They're designed more for low-rpm torque and don't rev nearly as high as pocket rockets. Much easier to drive.

Heck, I know of a tiny sub-120 lb girl who rides one and she loves it! She's a great rider, but is very, very cautious. She was surprised by how easy it was to ride.

I'm a tall guy. 6', 35" inseam. If anything, a bike will be too short for me.

Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth from 30 plus years of riding on and off the road... No offense, but I'm a little concerned about your referrals to mountain biking and translating it to street motorcycling. Yes, there are instances where these may apply and there are a similarities, but on the road, it is far more awareness of the bike and what it can do and what it will do in certain situations - than what you can do. The athleticism used in mountain biking applies less to street riding - dirt riding - ABSOLUTELY! - but reflexes, awareness (both of self and of your surroundings) and control are more applicable. Most riders can ride a lifetime without getting themselves into a bind on a bike - if they use caution, it's the other vehicles on the road - teen girls / boys using cell phones, fogies out for Sunday drives, truckers, etc. that you need to be concerned with.
    That said, I have agreed wholeheartedly with everything digitalbill has said, and if I were in your shoes, would take his advice. Thanks for listening to an old man ramble.
  • ShaeSweetie
    ShaeSweetie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    im a dirtbike girl!! i ride a kx125 (2 stroke) mainly...and i also have a suzuki 250 (4 stroke) and my little learners bike klx110...i wanna get a street bike...but i cant afford one just yet! looking for a ninja! they are the best!
  • kelif5959
    kelif5959 Posts: 202
    Options
    I had a Firetruck Red Ninja 650..........then I had a baby............and had to start paying for daycare :(
  • kenyajae
    kenyajae Posts: 48
    Options
    I have a 100th aniversary Harley Sportster 883.. I don't ride it much now that I've moved to Virginia, but it was a fun while I did. I seem to have replaced it was a Fuji road bike for cycling; it doesn't go as fast, but its better exercise.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Up in Canada, we don't have the MSF, but we do have similar. I won't even touch a bike until I've passed the course.

Not a fan of cruisers. My background in mountain biking, where I loved to go fast and be able to move around on top of my bike to go where I want to go (much like a sports bike).

A 650 is actually slower than a 600cc - The SV650 engine is used in Suki's cruisers. They're designed more for low-rpm torque and don't rev nearly as high as pocket rockets. Much easier to drive.

Heck, I know of a tiny sub-120 lb girl who rides one and she loves it! She's a great rider, but is very, very cautious. She was surprised by how easy it was to ride.

I'm a tall guy. 6', 35" inseam. If anything, a bike will be too short for me.

Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth from 30 plus years of riding on and off the road... No offense, but I'm a little concerned about your referrals to mountain biking and translating it to street motorcycling. Yes, there are instances where these may apply and there are a similarities, but on the road, it is far more awareness of the bike and what it can do and what it will do in certain situations - than what you can do. The athleticism used in mountain biking applies less to street riding - dirt riding - ABSOLUTELY! - but reflexes, awareness (both of self and of your surroundings) and control are more applicable. Most riders can ride a lifetime without getting themselves into a bind on a bike - if they use caution, it's the other vehicles on the road - teen girls / boys using cell phones, fogies out for Sunday drives, truckers, etc. that you need to be concerned with.
    That said, I have agreed wholeheartedly with everything digitalbill has said, and if I were in your shoes, would take his advice. Thanks for listening to an old man ramble.

I totally agree. I have spent a lot of time riding a road bike too. I chose to stop because I had to focus so much on what other people are doing and less on my workout. It wasn't very enjoyable, having people flying past me all the time. Also, group riding can count towards being alert - you need to be 100% aware of what's going on around you, because one bump of tires and everyone goes down. You need to know who is where, when, and be able to react very quickly to any changes that happen. Stop focusing for half a second will be all it'll take for an accident to happen.

I would feel safer on a motorcycle, because I would at least be able to match the speed of the vehicles around me.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I ride a heavily modified Yamaha R1. I like to go fast.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Sturgis 2012 in 3 weeks baby! Yeah!!!!!!
    [/quote]

Heck yeah!!!!!! I can't wait!!!!!!!

I ride a '06 HD ElectaGlide Classic, my husband rides an '01. Can't wait to make the trip from OH to Sturgis!
    We have actually made riding a family thing. My HD has a sidecar so our kids can ride too!
    [/quote]

I'm riding my to sturgis this year too! (of course I only live 30 miles from Sturgis so that seems like a no brainer... LOL)
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    My dad has a Harley Dinoglide, and I want my own so badly. Because of how dangerous they are, he won't let me get one while I'm living under his roof. Once I move out though, I hope to save enough to buy my own, preferably pink with some sort of glitter.

Sorry gotta correct this... Dyna Glide.. not Dino... :bigsmile:
  • Suzy81123
    Suzy81123 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. :happy:
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I ride but don't drive... We have a Harley 1200 Sportster. Yup, I kinda love it! :)

Ha! same here, exactly this! ^^^
  • jly33403
    jly33403 Posts: 49
    Options
    My dad has a Harley Dinoglide, and I want my own so badly. Because of how dangerous they are, he won't let me get one while I'm living under his roof. Once I move out though, I hope to save enough to buy my own, preferably pink with some sort of glitter.

Haha yeah, I realized after I posted it, and figured everyone knew what I meant. Dad would kill me if he saw that, long day at the office I guess.

Sorry, Harley people. I'm ashamed.
  • jgardner38
    jgardner38 Posts: 70
    Options
    I love to ride!!!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Haha yeah, I realized after I posted it, and figured everyone knew what I meant. Dad would kill me if he saw that, long day at the office I guess.

Sorry, Harley people. I'm ashamed.

If you're a Harley person, you're never ashamed!
  • hiddensvelte
    hiddensvelte Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    A classic 1980 Suzuki GS850L. Been riding street for 15 years, licensed for almost 30 (time off for starting and keeping a family) and have ridden dirt for 10 years.

"You don't see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist's office"!
  • Mechel79
    Mechel79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think having as much knowledge of engine size, type and the power and mannerisms of each are very important for a first time rider. My first bike was an 06 Kawasaki Ninja 636 not too much power, for me it was a perfect "learning bike". I actually just upgraded because I am now much more comfortable to a 2012 Triumph Daytona 676- Very Nice bike
  • pixijude
    pixijude Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i drive a kawasaki eliminator :)