"The Men Who Made Us Fat" and Leptin

Options

Replies

• laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I watched the documentary. I couldn't get past how it blamed America for all of Britain's weight problems. The series has a low-carb angle, for sure. Robert Lustig and Gary Taubes are both interviewed, but no counterpoint voice to the idea that sugar and corn aren't the devil.

To be fair, you've exported some amazing stuff abroad. Krispy Kreme, McDonalds, Grape Fanta, Oreos, Burger King, that really good prawn chain place in HK. For heaven's sake bring it to Aus RIGHT NOW. I always say the reason I will never ever ever travel to the US is because I'd have to be flown back as cargo.

Downloaded the doco and basically it was a lot of "it's not your fault, you're a victim". Fair enough, maybe some people ate larger and larger meals and bought larger and larger trousers because of advertising and an incredible lack of self awareness of their rapidly expanding frame. Maybe. But you'd have to be a bit dull to be that sort of person. Still, entertaining in the style of most tabloid news shows.

Are you from Australia? Because you guys have something called Tim Tams over there, and I'm so jealous. Maybe we can work out a trade.

Total Aussie... Tim Tams... be still my heart. I hope you know that we have turkish delight flavour now. They're scrumptious! Be jealous... they're all I have to tide me over until In n Out open up here.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I watched the documentary. I couldn't get past how it blamed America for all of Britain's weight problems. The series has a low-carb angle, for sure. Robert Lustig and Gary Taubes are both interviewed, but no counterpoint voice to the idea that sugar and corn aren't the devil.

To be fair, you've exported some amazing stuff abroad. Krispy Kreme, McDonalds, Grape Fanta, Oreos, Burger King, that really good prawn chain place in HK. For heaven's sake bring it to Aus RIGHT NOW. I always say the reason I will never ever ever travel to the US is because I'd have to be flown back as cargo.

Downloaded the doco and basically it was a lot of "it's not your fault, you're a victim". Fair enough, maybe some people ate larger and larger meals and bought larger and larger trousers because of advertising and an incredible lack of self awareness of their rapidly expanding frame. Maybe. But you'd have to be a bit dull to be that sort of person. Still, entertaining in the style of most tabloid news shows.

Are you from Australia? Because you guys have something called Tim Tams over there, and I'm so jealous. Maybe we can work out a trade.

LOL. If you're in the U.S they sell TIm Tams here under another name at World Market. You should really try and peel yourself away from them, they are highly addictive!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone's saying you can't lose weight eating sugar - the issue being discussed is that sugar impairs the function of the leptin hormone (which is basically a fact).

Sorry, the bolded part makes it too easy.
    Well it is as much a fact as facts can be in nutrition. It's hard to prove without any shred of doubt, but studies have shown it to be the case time and time again.
  • lrkidd
    lrkidd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone's saying you can't lose weight eating sugar - the issue being discussed is that sugar impairs the function of the leptin hormone (which is basically a fact).

Sorry, the bolded part makes it too easy.
    Well it is as much a fact as facts can be in nutrition. It's hard to prove without any shred of doubt, but studies have shown it to be the case time and time again.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-facts-on-leptin-faq?page=1

Please read this!!! It may provide just a little insight into what has been proven to BE A FACT!!
  • honeythatsokay
    Options
    I love this book! Everyone needs to read this book! It's what really solidified my love for Jillian Michaels and what she is trying to do for people - living and eating naturally is a key to weight loss, happiness and a balanced life.

Since I want everyone to read this book here is an e-book copy. It's in .mobi format which works for Kindle and for viewing on computers. If you want to change the format for your e-book reader you can go to www.online-convert.com

http://www.4shared.com/file/3fMNasej/Master_Your_Metabolism.htm
  • ForMyFreedom
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a rant about exes...
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I hate documentaries. I hate alarmism.

Oh well. I'm not feeling up to a debate today and there are better people than me already arguing the merits (or lack of merits) behind the ideas apparently propagated in the documentary.

The only thing I feel like contributing is: I'm not sure I'd call leptin a neurohormone. It's a hormone, and it does produce a signal that is interpreted by the brain. However, it's not really 'neuro'. "Neuro" means something produced by neurons and used to signal to neurons. Examples include serotonin, dopamine, acetylcholine, norepinephrine (though this is also produced by the adrenal cortex), and so on. Neurohormones can also include hormones produced by specialized neurons in the hypothalmus (for example). The hormones are released into the blood stream and target non-neuronal cells. I'm pretty sure leptin is not produced by neurons.

A technical detail... but hey... if we're all throwing around science, details matter :D
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Metabolically speaking, how is processed sugar different from natural sugar?

Would someone please answer this, I would love to hear the answers people come up with...
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I liked the program and there were some good points whithin the technobabble, more than in the book wheat belly. That is mainly technobabble and psudoscience
  • LabRat529
    Options
    Oh... I guess I'll add one more thing for people to chew on.

Endocrinology is complicated. Our bodies are complicated. Any time someone (doctor or not) pin-points one single hormone signaling pathway as the 'broken' pathway responsible for all our problems.... well... I'm pretty damn sure they are wrong.

We can't blame leptin for the obesity epidemic.

We can't blame insulin for the obesity epidemic.

We can't blame <insert hormone of your choice here> for the obesity epidemic.

Occasionally, some RARE individuals might actually, honestly, have a malfunction of one or two pathways that cause uncontrolled weight gain. The average person, however, does not have a deficiency. Their bodies are behaving exactly the way they were programmed to behave by God and/or evolution.

We gain weight because we're eating a surplus of calories and our bodies are storing that surplus for the famine it's sure is just around the corner. To store these calories, to survive and thrive and function the way our bodies are made to function, we are activating a plethora (love that work >.>) of signaling pathways (aka hormones acting on the cells of our body).

In my opinion, it just doesn't do any good to obsess over which hormone is 'at fault' when we can solve the problem by reducing our calorie intake.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Endocrinology is complicated. Our bodies are complicated. Any time someone (doctor or not) pin-points one single hormone signaling pathway as the 'broken' pathway responsible for all our problems.... well... I'm pretty damn sure they are wrong.

Occasionally, some RARE individuals might actually, honestly, have a malfunction of one or two pathways that cause uncontrolled weight gain. The average person, however, does not have a deficiency. Their bodies are behaving exactly the way they were programmed to behave by God and/or evolution.

We gain weight because we're eating a surplus of calories and our bodies are storing that surplus for the famine it's sure is just around the corner. To store these calories, to survive and thrive and function the way our bodies are made to function, we are activating a plethora (love that work >.>) of signaling pathways (aka hormones acting on the cells of our body).

In my opinion, it just doesn't do any good to obsess over which hormone is 'at fault' when we can solve the problem by reducing our calorie intake.

You are lovely and so are your posts.
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options

I 100% agree with Sidesteal on both statements. Best post in this thread.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I endeavor to eat fewer (or no more) calories than I expend.
    I endeavor to eat less processed food.
    My weight is close to where I want it to be, and I have gotten here in a relatively painless manner.
    I love reading all the gee-whiz science (the real stuff, of course) but I believe we often over-think the obvious.
  • LabRat529
    Options

Awww shucks :blushing:

Well thank you, sir. You are pretty awesome too. Always spot on with your advice.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I basically eat only organic, no processed foods, no junk, no eating out, minimal amts of alcohol, NO processed sugar, and I also do gluten free.

That sounds incredibly boring. I hope you have medical reasons to completely eliminate so much and that you're not depriving yourself of something you want. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for failure.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options

We can only blame the roswell report for everything

:laugh:
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

We Americans make everyone fat apparently. I read an article the other day about Asians getting heavier because of American fast food companies.

We do make everyone fat. The Western Diet is the worst on the planet... fact...
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    And here I am losing weight eating a large cookie and a glass of wine every day.

My body must be weird.

(IIFYM)

If people count their calories and plan on doing that for the rest of their lives, they shouldn't have a problem.

The thing is that many people don't count calories and listen to their body to eat, so if their body is telling them they're hungry, they overeat.

It's easy to say the problem is overeating and people just need to have more willpower. It's also easy to do it for a few months and lose some weight, but if your body is telling you it's hungry when it really shouldn't be, then you run into maintenance issues in the long run because you can't just ignore hunger for the rest of your life.

EXACTLY!! I can become phobic about refined sugars in foods, and then become phobic about the naturally occurring sugars in foods such as bananas and Tropicana Pure Premium OJ...and then become maniacal about every single morsel that goes into my mouth...but all of that is not how I managed to KEEP MY WEIGHT OFF FOR OVER 20 YEARS...more and more I'm staying away from processed foods and have been going back to REAL food but I'm not maniacal about it either. I have MccyD's prolly once per month. I ate a hoagie roll with homemade soup the other night for dinner. Guess what? I'm still thin and I didn't die yet lol I eat well about 90% of the time but realistic enough to not overcomplicate the weight loss/maintenance issue and am realistic enough to allow "cheats" b/c I'm human. I've also slowed down my eating...what good is all of this knowledge if you eat so fast that you've eaten beyond the "full" point b/c you haven't registered the "satiated" feeling yet? The most important thing, because too much of anything is never a good thing, is get down to the root of why you're overeating and eating when not hungry. The overeating is just a symptom of a bigger underlying problem. And as for knowing what works for you? You will know when you've maintained your weight loss for a long period of time..
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Metabolically speaking, how is processed sugar different from natural sugar?

I'm not totally sure if that's a relevant point. I'm think she's saying all kinds of sugar that is included in processed foods. It can be natural cane sugar or high fructose corn syrup and it's still not great for you. Not to mention HFCS doesn't get processed the same in the body as other sugars for some people. For some people HFCS wreaks havoc on insulin compared to less processed sugars. Also, on the related topic of artificial sweeteners... they pass through your body without even being metabolized (hence, 0 calories) which effects your insulin levels.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Processed food is crap.
    If man makes it, we should look very carefully before eating.
    That's reality.