If low carb works, why are people still fat?

Options

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Again, I think you need to so some more research if you accepted the headlines of the study for what the study actually showed.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Again, I think you need to so some more research if you accepted the headlines of the study for what the study actually showed.

You're gong to have to be more specific, which study are you referring to, and why do you assume that I only read the headline?
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I didn't say that low-carb diets don't work for weight loss. I said they're unhealthy. There was the recent study comparing low-carb, low-gi, and low-fat diets that showed that low-carb diets work, but they also increase stress and inflammation hormones.

As with all diets it matters what you eat. Sure there are plenty of ways to eat low carb and be supremely unhealthy, for example If you just eat piles of bacon. However, a sensible diet with plenty of veggies, good quality meats, cheeses,eggs and nuts with a good mix of different kinds of fats (basically limiting omega-6 fatty acids) is going to be both good for you and satisfying.
  • rjcm58
    rjcm58 Posts: 8
    Options
    Go to marksdailyapple.com for info on low-carb eating. There is a wealth of info.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

You're gong to have to be more specific, which study are you referring to, and why do you assume that I only read the headline?
    Because it never occurred to me someone who takes the time to read the studies available on low carb diets could be so ignorant. But I'm glad you read up on it and formed your opinion from the information available to you.

You think low carb diets are fad and unhealthy. And after reading the same studies you did I came to the exact opposite conclusion so I guess there's really no point in continuing this, is there?
  • carld256
    Options
    Go to marksdailyapple.com for info on low-carb eating. There is a wealth of info.

Sorry, but I'm not interested in taking advice from someone who advocates taking illegal steroids.

"I would incorporate therapeutic amounts of testosterone (yes, I know it's illegal, but I'm giving you the best-case scenario), to balance out high levels of cortisol when I have gone to the well too much."

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Features/Mark_Sisson_says_training_is_no_guarantee_of_health._4.html
  • carld256
    Options

Because it never occurred to me someone who takes the time to read the studies available on low carb diets could be so ignorant. But I'm glad you read up on it and formed your opinion from the information available to you.

You think low carb diets are fad and unhealthy. And after reading the same studies you did I came to the exact opposite conclusion so I guess there's really no point in continuing this, is there?

I see, so the only way to be informed is to read the studies you linked? I'm sorry, but there's a world of information out there. Also I notice that you said that I haven't kept up on current research, but the three studies you linked to are at least 4 years old at this point.

And thanks for the "ignorant" insult. You're right, we have nothing further to discuss.
  • aprueitt
    aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Sorry, but I'm not interested in taking advice from someone who advocates taking illegal steroids.

"I would incorporate therapeutic amounts of testosterone (yes, I know it's illegal, but I'm giving you the best-case scenario), to balance out high levels of cortisol when I have gone to the well too much."

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Features/Mark_Sisson_says_training_is_no_guarantee_of_health._4.html

you have taken his statement totally out of context...but you have convinced yourself...good luck
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Nope, no hate involved. Unless by hate you mean the sincere belief that low-carb is an unhealthy fad diet that leads people to be exploited by overweight hucksters selling diet books, then yes.
    You haven't kept up with the science.

"Mediterranean and low-carbohydrate diets may be effective alternatives to low-fat diets. The more favorable effects on lipids (with the low-carbohydrate diet) and on glycemic control (with the Mediterranean diet) suggest that personal preferences and metabolic considerations might inform individualized tailoring of dietary interventions. (ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00160108.)"

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0708681

"In this study, premenopausal overweight and obese women assigned to follow the Atkins diet, which had the lowest carbohydrate intake, lost more weight at 12 months than women assigned to follow the Zone diet, and had experienced comparable or more favorable metabolic effects than those assigned to the Zone, Ornish, or LEARN diets [corrected] While questions remain about long-term effects and mechanisms, a low-carbohydrate, high-protein, high-fat diet may be considered a feasible alternative recommendation for weight loss."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17341711

"This study provides a surprising challenge to prevailing dietary practice. The current standards for healthy eating include reducing total fat intake to less than 30% of total calories and decreasing saturated fat intake to less than 10%. This recommendation is based on a large body of primarily epidemiological data and is intended to lower plasma cholesterol (23), but has been extended by some experts as a means to decrease the risk of obesity. However, the subjects on the very low carbohydrate diet experienced significantly more weight loss than the low fat group and maintained comparable levels of plasma lipids and other cardiovascular risk factors while consuming more than 50% of their calories as fat and 20% as saturated fat. These data indicate that the role of macronutrient distribution in individuals who are on weight loss diets needs to be further investigated. In particular, it seems likely that in the short term, a decrease in total caloric intake with accompanying weight loss has a greater impact on nutritionally sensitive parameters such as plasma lipids than do the macronutrient constituents of the diet."

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/4/1617.long

If you'd like to read up on some of the newest studies there's a whole list here:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/science

Did you even read the A to Z weight loss study? Notice anything interesting in the results?

and lol to the person who said Mark's daily apple had a "wealth of info" while there is lots of info there, much of it is garbage
  • deucesarewild1
    deucesarewild1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories in, calories out? Really? Why did I lose weight eating "over" my calories (way over) while only changing my carbohydrate consumption? Magic?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories in, calories out? Really? Why did I lose weight eating "over" my calories (way over) while only changing my carbohydrate consumption? Magic?

Inaccurate calorie tracking.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

If you're implying that you were eating in a surplus and losing fat, then yes it was magic
  • deucesarewild1
    deucesarewild1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Of course! What was I thinking? If it does not jive with your beliefs it must be my fault. Silly me.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Did you know that eating lots of saturated fat prevents sunburn and sunblock causes osteoporosis? Mark Sisson does.

The recipe section of his site might be helpful, but the man says a lot of things backed up by nothing. The man is the king of broscience.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Of course! What was I thinking? If it does not jive with your beliefs it must be my fault. Silly me.

Well if you mean my belief that low carb is beneficial for some, you'd be wrong but if you mean my belief that people who claim weight loss while eating way over thier TDEE are fatasizing, you be correct. Unless you really are a unique snowflake! (or have some kind of medical condition that make you an exception like insulin resistance or PCOS or something.)
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Did you know that eating lots of saturated fat prevents sunburn and sunblock causes osteoporosis? Mark Sisson does.

The recipe section of his site might be helpful, but the man says a lot of things backed up by nothing. The man is the king of broscience.

yes...he certainly gets carried away and spouts things to keep his website alive....but the basic premise (which he is simply copying) is sound. Unfortunately, he has gone off the deep end on some of his stuff. I imagine he does it to seperate himself from the herd.
  • carld256
    Options
    you have taken his statement totally out of context...but you have convinced yourself...good luck

What context would that be? The fact that he's talking in hypothetical terms? That doesn't change the fact that he obviously sees steroids as safe and beneficial. There's also the weird way he phrases it, "when I have gone to the well too much" that stops just short of admitting that he takes them himself.

If a someone needs testosterone therapy there's no reason to buy it illegally. Testosterone is available by prescription to men with a genuine need for it. The only reason to buy it otherwise is to use it as a muscle builder or performance enhancer, which is both illegal and damaging to health in any context.

I stand by what I said.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

What context would that be? The fact that he's talking in hypothetical terms? That doesn't change the fact that he obviously sees steroids as safe and beneficial.
    I stand by what I said.

obviously? nice jump in logic

ya...whatever dude
  • carld256
    Options
    obviously? nice jump in logic

ya...whatever dude

Yes, it's pretty blinkin' obvious. If he didn't think illegal steroids were fine then why bring them into the discussion? Where is my "nice jump" in logic exactly?