what cals are you at?

Options
if you dont mind me asking im just curious what cals people are at, were at, etc. and also how many pounds per week you are trying to lose? just wondering if people want their weight off fast or are just taking their time? what works for you?

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat 1600 a day. (Difficult for me to do, am used to 1100 to 1250 a day)

My goal is about 1/2 to 1 pound of FAT loss per week.

My TDEE is about 1850 with a desk job. I add in a 20 minute walk 5 days a week on my lunch break and a 50 to 70 minute walk 3 to 5 days a week as well. I also go to the gym 2 to 3 times a week to lift weights.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm lightly active, 22 years old, female.
    When I started MFP in January, it set me at 1920, to lose 1.5/wk at 270lbs.
    Now I'm at 1590 to lose 1.5/wk at 221.
    When it gets down to 1500, I plan on changing it to 1/wk. Well see where it goes from there.

I chose 1.5/wk because when I was starting, I wasn't ready to dive into the deep end of the pool- I needed to play in the shallow end for a little while before I got things under control. 1920 seemed like an attainable number, and it worked for me. I've made small changes to my diet because that's what I'm comfortable with.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    MFP started me at about 1440.

When I lost 10 pounds, it suggested recalculating my goals,and dropped my cals down to 1380. I know it was all in my head, but that felt defeating, like I was being punished for losing weight by having to restrict my calories further.

So, I made the executive decision to set my cals at 1500, and leave them there. I may lose a little slower, but I will still lose, and it helps keep me from feeling frustrated and defeated.
  • stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When it gets down to 1500, I plan on changing it to 1/wk. Well see where it goes from there.

I chose 1.5/wk because when I was starting, I wasn't ready to dive into the deep end of the pool- I needed to play in the shallow end for a little while before I got things under control. 1920 seemed like an attainable number, and it worked for me. I've made small changes to my diet because that's what I'm comfortable with.

CONGRATS ON 49LBS! wow ok thats inspiring that u went slow but still lost. until 2 days ago i kept changing my goals..2lbs, 1.5, 1lb a week...active, not active, etc. now im at 1430 and i went over but its my 2nd day and i only went over by 53 cals so im like whatevs. thanks for your input!
  • stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

CONGRATS ON 49LBS! wow ok thats inspiring that u went slow but still lost. until 2 days ago i kept changing my goals..2lbs, 1.5, 1lb a week...active, not active, etc. now im at 1430 and i went over but its my 2nd day and i only went over by 53 cals so im like whatevs. thanks for your input!
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options

Thanks! In my book, 53 over is still a win. Even at 1/wk you're at a 500 deficit, so if I go over by 100 or less, I'm okay with it :) I really thought about the activity level(I work at a Dunkin donuts, so I'm walking around all day), then I looked at what my calorie goal would be with 2, 1.5, 1/wk. and I chose what I thought I could handle. Weight loss isn't a sprint- its a marathon. You should choose something that you can handle every day. :)
    Feel free to add me if you want!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    1800-1900 I have been losing about 2-3 pounds per month.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm only set to lose .9 pounds a week right now, and my calories are set to net 1660. I'm not in a rush, I'd rather feel good and enjoy the things I like, while losing weight. :-)
  • DarcysMuse
    Options
    Hi,

I follow a starch-based, primarily vegan diet. I custom set my goals to 1700 calories that consist of 65% carbs, 20% protein, 15% fat. Sometimes the fat goes over due to flax seeds or avocado :)
    My carbs consist mostly of sweet potatoes, potatoes and brown rice. I eat 2-4 pieces of fruit a day plus a large salad and veggies.
    I am losing about 2-3 pounds a week with this method. My goal is 1 1/2 pounds a week for an average.

Lisa :)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I follow a starch-based, primarily vegan diet. I custom set my goals to 1700 calories that consist of 65% carbs, 20% protein, 15% fat. Sometimes the fat goes over due to flax seeds or avocado :)
    My carbs consist mostly of sweet potatoes, potatoes and brown rice. I eat 2-4 pieces of fruit a day plus a large salad and veggies.
    I am losing about 2-3 pounds a week with this method. My goal is 1 1/2 pounds a week for an average.

Lisa :)

The low carb people would flip on hearing this... he he
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I set mine at 1600 but I am eating more like 1800 -2000 because of the amount of exercise that I am doing - I have been losing about a pound or so a week. But I only weigh myself once every three weeks. I love the scale but in all honesty when it is up I lose motivation - I have learned that I can eat what I want but I have to make sure that I work for it.

For example today was my pig out day and I had a few ice-cream drumsticks, they were awesome, an hour hike in the bush, 10 min running, cycling for 15 min and some weight training..... it was all ok! Still under my calories... is this something that I would do everyday, ABSOLUTELY NOT. When I was eating them it seamed worth while, now that it is in my stomach and it is unsettled.... next time I would likely think again!
  • Rmfowler1990
    Rmfowler1990 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1340 which is nearly impossible for me to attain. I'm working on finding out what works for me. It's a hard task though.
    Currently I weigh 160 (i lost a pound but gained it back). I set it to lose 1lb/wk

I'm trying to read as much as possible to find out if anyone else has been where I'm out and completely disagreed with MFP for the calorie max.

I've only been at this a couple weeks so it's still a work in progress.

Good luck everyone!!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I am experimenting started at 1650, than 1500, than 1400, 1200 I do not do well on 1200, so I upped it to 1300. I have never done what MFP goal for because it is scary to eat that many calories when I am trying to lose weight.

I also never lose the amount that MFP says we will lose on our goal per week. I always eat below 100 carbs try more to eat closer to 50 carbs.
  • sweetsong32
    sweetsong32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 1570. I am averaging about 2 pounds lost per week.

I have 142 MORE pounds to lose. Slow and steady wins the race! :-)
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 1786 (my TDEE) but have been consistently eating 1500-1600 calories every day. Since I started doing that 2 weeks ago, I have lost 5 lbs... otherwise I was losing roughly .5 to 1 pound a week...
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I'm set at 2020 to lose 1/2 pound a week, I'm 5'7.5", currently 179.6;bs. Add in 500 calories for breastfeeding, and most days anywhere between 500-1000 calories for exercise, and I'm between 3000-3500 calories most days.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Currently eating 3200-3400 calories a day with a deficit to lose 1/2 lbs. a week.. Working on that last 15-20 lbs......
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
  • Snail313
    Snail313 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was at 1750 to lose 1lb a week but I just changed it to 1350 to lose 2lbs a week. I am taking my time because I want to keep it off forever but I would love it if the weight just fell off really quickly. Patience!
  • Fatty_Melt
    Fatty_Melt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm sedentary, 24, and female.
    MFP started me off at 2700 calories to lose 1lb a week.
    It's really hard to hit that mark while making healthy choices and watching my sodium intake. I just recently added in cardio and strength training to my daily routine, so some days I have as many as 3100 calories to take in! I never thought I would have such a problem finding things to eat.