When to input food in your diary?

Options
13»

Replies

• salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I log in as I go, or a little in advance because I plan out my meals and they're all in their happy little tupperware containers. However, I would advise to NEVER log food calories at the end of the day. It leads to "I'll just log that later" which means you miss things and those little things add up. Better to know what you're working with.

The only things I do add at the end of the day are my workout calories. Because of the system I use (BodyMedia FIT), I have to sync it for it to spit back out my calories, and thus, I'd rather do it in one fell swoop. Plus, it's like a little present I give myself on the days I can get in a workout! Since I don't eat back those calories, I don't need to know about them prior to eating.
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    There are times when I know what dinner is and so I put that in after breakfast and figure out what I've got left for lunch, but otherwise, it's a squeeze the other way, where I eat lunch and then make dinner fit with what I've got left.
  • classictoaster
    Options
    I sometimes do it even the day before. I like to eliminate the possibility of an unscheduled cheat/binge/etc, so it helps me to see where I stand before I get there.

Also, my mom cooks dinner usually, so I only plan through lunch. Helps me to see what I still need to eat for the day at dinner time.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    hi there, what I find works for me is putting in all the food I'm planning to have so I know what calories I have left to play with, you can always change the content if you change your plans as you go.

I have been known (when I'm super organised) to input most of my weekly plan as I do the food shopping for the week, this allows me to see the ups & downs of the week and while I exercise most days it shows if there is any days I need to work a little harder - like meals or nights out for a few drinks.

I couldn't leave it til the end of the day I'd end off forgetting what I've had :frown:

However exercise I log as I do it, then I know what I've done is accurate
  • I prelog if I know for sure but for some weird reason, when it comes to exercise, if I prelog - I fail to meet my goals.
  • shoesalwaysfit
    shoesalwaysfit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like to input as I go and add my exercise the day after, so that it doesn't calculate into my food calories.
  • muadeeb
    muadeeb Posts: 91
    Options
    I log as i go, life has taught me the farther out i try and plan things the more sh$# goes wrong, lol.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I log my main meals in the morning (breakfast, lunch and dinner). That way I can add or subtract from my snacks depending on what exercise I get in. Today was light - an hour of weights, and only 5K steps, so I had 2 small 150 cal snacks. Tomorrow will be 1.5 hrs of cardio and likely 15K steps - which means doubling up or more on the snacks. :)
  • jus4kix06
    jus4kix06 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas and tips. I think pre logging works best for me and the iPhone app is so easy to use especially if I need to make changes thru out the day! I haven't really gotten into working out just yet but I do water jogging at our local pools lazy river and usually log it in the morning even if I'm not work out til the night so that by the time night comes I HAVE to workout out or I might possibly be over on calories for the day.