Fashion Faux Pas - Personal preferences

Options

Replies

• lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Juicy Couture Velour Tracksuits, Uggs and Skinny Jeans, Leggings and Crop Tops. These are all tacky fails in my book.
  • derpina88
    derpina88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This thread is insane. I'm just going to assume that most of the people posting in here are from the midwest or over the age of 45 because most of these "fashion rules" are geriatric! There are some things you should never do... wear clothes that dont fit, wear clothes that are torn, faded, or otherwise rag worthy, and dress flattering for your figure. but besides that these rules are made to be broken! I could show you a thousand examples of women wearing brown and black and looking fabulous! I personally dont wear skinny jeans, but that's because I have a big *kitten*. I see plenty of women walking around who look fabulous in them.

Bottom line, if you seriously think rules like "no white after labor day" or "don't mix neutrals" are still relevant in today's fashion than you are probably walking around looking dated and out of touch.

http://www.collegefashion.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/blackbrown3.jpg
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    OMG BECKY.... I saw the WORST WORST WORST fashion faux pas today...

A rather large woman, and I SWEAR I am not making this up...

her jeans were falling down so you could see her thong sticking out of the top... AND the reason you could see her thong sticking out of the top was because her shirt was too short and I could see her belly sticking out of the bottom of her shirt. And she was wearing old flip flops, BUT what made this exceptionally hideous was her feet were like BLACK and cracked and stuff.

wow...

I also HATE those affliction shirts and Ed Hardy.

@derpina88 agreed, I am 42 years YOUNG!, and from phoenix az, not the midwest. I break fashion rules all the time:) I am who I am, I love me!
  • RonneyKay
    Options

haha anybody else coming back to this thread to see what faux pas they are making? LOL or is it just me?

:laugh:

Nah. I don't care if how I dress offends anyone's sensibility, mostly because I know I don't show too much skin or wear anything too tight. Anything else I consider "free expression". :drinker:

Well, really, it's more of the "overworked, underpaid, overdone wife and mother" look. I'll dress it up when I'm not the one in charge of making sure that everyone else looks like an idiot when they walk out the door.

haha I guess I worded it wrong, what I meant was, I keep coming back to see what I do that people don't like, doesn't mean I'm gonna change it. Today I wore... GHASP... CHECK IT... A blue shirt with black pants AND a brightly colored blue, green and white flowery shoe!
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    <--- Oh dear. I am wearing brown top and black pants in this photo. I didn't realise it was nun attire.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I only have two that I really hate:

1. Ill-fitting clothes (too tight or too big).
    2. Pink on men. I hate it.
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    CastleMadeOfSand Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Huge faux pa--when ppl adhere to some strange rule and dressing NOT themselves because some stupid magazine told them too.

If you like it--wear it.*

* denotes exposed skin that flaps, or sticks our is not acceptable.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    This thread is insane. I'm just going to assume that most of the people posting in here are from the midwest or over the age of 45 because most of these "fashion rules" are geriatric! There are some things you should never do... wear clothes that dont fit, wear clothes that are torn, faded, or otherwise rag worthy, and dress flattering for your figure. but besides that these rules are made to be broken! I could show you a thousand examples of women wearing brown and black and looking fabulous! I personally dont wear skinny jeans, but that's because I have a big *kitten*. I see plenty of women walking around who look fabulous in them.

Bottom line, if you seriously think rules like "no white after labor day" or "don't mix neutrals" are still relevant in today's fashion than you are probably walking around looking dated and out of touch.

http://www.collegefashion.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/blackbrown3.jpg

OMG! The kiddo can't seem to read! WTF!

:yawn:
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    The other night I went out, and this chick at a bar was wearing high heels she couldn't walk in. It looked like she was riding an invisible bike.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The only thing that bugs me is when I see girls in sweatpants and hoodies but their hair and makeup are perfectly done. I see it all the time on campus and I don't understand... I can understand being lazy and going to class in your sweats, hell, I do it sometimes, but if you're going to put the work in to put on makeup and fix your hair why not take a few more seconds and put on a pair of jeans. :laugh:
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    If you are built more like a horse, stay away from any big cat print. Stick with something like zebra.
  • edaaff
    edaaff Posts: 15
    Options
    I have to disagree on Navy with brown.. because that can look very chic. A Navy dress with brown boots or brogues and a brown leather handbag? Feel free to chuck on a leather jacket too, and it could well look awesome.

Green and red doesn't pair well together.. I practically live in my skin tight red jeans, and they look awesome.. apart from with anything green. Just no, I feel like christmas.

Grey tights. I hate grey tights.

And double denim - NO! cringe.

All black isn't a good look, unless you're wearing a suit or you're a waiter. Nothing against goths - wear your dark colours, but throw in a pop of colour. Like red. That's bloody and gothic too, right? :bigsmile:

THIS
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I think I sport every single outfit that the OP hates.... Lol. I feel kind of like her bizzaro world twin
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Coco Chanel for this quote; Having terrible style is better than having no style.

I would much rather dress like someone who tries and goes all out yet looks ridiculous than dress like someone who seemed to have just rolled out of bed and doesn't care.

I have the biggest pep in my step when I feel great about what I look like.
  • RonneyKay
    Options
    The only thing that bugs me is when I see girls in sweatpants and hoodies but their hair and makeup are perfectly done. I see it all the time on campus and I don't understand... I can understand being lazy and going to class in your sweats, hell, I do it sometimes, but if you're going to put the work in to put on makeup and fix your hair why not take a few more seconds and put on a pair of jeans. :laugh:

OMG! totally agree
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Bright coloured jeans kinda freak me out. I don't like the crazy colours. Crazy coloured tights are cool but jeans ... not so much.
    Crocs. Just crocs in general. lol
    Super tight outfits on overweight people. Accept the fact that you're chubbier and find something that fits better. I know my size, I know I can't wear what super skinny people can wear, so I shop for my own size!
    Leggings as pants. A shorter dress is OK but I shouldn't see your butt :p
    High wasted pants - I know it "works" for some people but I just can't get into it :p

Oh and glitter eye makeup - LOVE IT! :P and neon eye makeup. :p

I saw someone today who had a very big butt. She was wearing leggings as pants and a short-ish top. But her butt was HUGE and the leggings were stretched so much that I could see the label on her panties. Definitely not cool.

I'm not great at fashion myself, I tend to do neutral bottoms (jeans usually) with a cute top (sometimes bright coloured) and with black flats. If I'm trying anything else, I have to get it approved by my boyfriend to see if it actually looks good or not, lol!!
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I won't do blue or navy with black, or brown & black. Can't do it.
    Crocs. Seriously? Fugliest things ever. And they aren't even comfortable. Then people wear them with socks. Are you kidding me. I want to rip them off their feet & beat them with them.
    Socks & sandals. Even those athletic sandals (Nike or Adidas slides), no.
    Colored denim. Especially after it fades. Seriously? This includes "black jeans". Stab me in the eye.
    Floods. For the love of God, people, find pants that are long enough for you.
    Man-capris. Enough said.
    And clothes that don't fit. Do you NOT look in the mirror before you leave the house? And if you do, is a Fun House Mirror? And WHY don't your friends say anything to you?

Faux Pas I evidently commit:
    flip flops or sandals with jeans. Every day of my life. I will wear flip flops or sandals until November-ish. Hell, I was sporting that look in January of this year because it was so warm this winter. If the high temp reaches 60, I'm wearing flip flops. I've been known to wear hoodies, scarves, jeans WITH flip flops. yep.
    *hoodies. Didn't know they were a no-no. that is like 75% of my winter wardrobe. *sigh*
    *I agree about the UGGs and skirts in the summer, but what about with leggings underneath the skirt in the winter? I think its adorable, and I finally bought it for myself this past winter. I had a complex because I didn't want to look like "that" old lady trying to be young.

Other than that, I consider myself a very plain, classic, preppy dresser. Almost boring.
  • LeeshaNichole
    LeeshaNichole Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I do not like navy blue and black together! I'm not sure why but it has always bugged me. With that being said at my work you have to wear black pants and navy blue shirts-ughh! I never feel good about the way I look going to work!
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I forgot another faux pas I commit.
    Sports Jerseys. I HAVE to wear my lucky jersey every game day! I have to! If I don't my team will lose.
    andI'mnotevenkiddingabouttheabovestatement. I wear the same outfit every Friday, Saturday & Sunday during football season. Not the same thing for 3 days in a row, I have a Bearcat Friday outfit. A complete "lucky game day" outfit for Saturdays, and my lucky jersey & bra for Sundays.

*shrug*
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    LOL I am currently wearing a navy blue button up with black pants and brown work boots. Its my mandatory work attire, guess the boots could have been different but these were the comfiest! Hope everyone's minds don't implode at this mental picture :laugh:

Pet peeves:
    -dirty stained Uggs. You just paid like $200 for them treat them better!! They arent supposed to get wet really.
    -Exposed bellys in public, whether it is a gut hanging out, or a crop top and abs... Trashy. The exception is gymclothes, Ladies rock your sports bras all you want!
    -Leggings with shorter tops.They are not pants and that means your bum should be covered by your top / dress.
    -Multiple brand logos in the same outfit. Even if you can afford all these pieces, its tacky to label *kitten* yourself.
    -Ed Hardy in general
    -Dirty looking hair left down, you may not have time to shower but you def have time to put your hair in a bun or pony.
    -Jeans with high contrast prefading, especially on guys!!!