Spinach - what to do with?

Options
wedjul05
wedjul05 Posts: 472
I've often bought a bag of spinach, used it once and thrown it away as it goes off so quick. I can only get HUGE bags of it here.

What do you do with yours? Getting ever so slightly bored of asparagus/broccoli combo!

thanks

Replies

• Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I buy the bags, break it down into 1-2 cups serving then freeze it to put it in my soups and smoothies
  • kerryjudson
    kerryjudson Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i make a spinich and cottage cheese canneloni, its one of my favourite meals. i make up a big batch (6 portions) eat 1 and freeze the others so have handy meals to put in the microwave. let me know if you want the recipe :-)
  • sera799
    sera799 Posts: 9
    Options
    I add it into whatever I'm cooking, it's next to no calories and packed full of nutrients. I put it in my curries, fajita mix or steam it and eat with fish. Mix it in with scrambled egg for breakfast too or just use it as salad.
  • melpinky
    melpinky Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I add it too most things. Love it in meals like meatballs, pasta or mincemeat! :)
  • moonowl23
    moonowl23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Make pancakes and fill them with spinach and tomatoes.... I use this as my pancake mix (makes about 4 big ones):

50g plain flour
    150ml skimmed milk
    1 egg

Beat milk and egg together then gradually add flour, beating in accordingly and then cook as for pancakes.

Also use same recipe for making Yorkshire puds ^^
  • wedjul05
    Options
    i make a spinich and cottage cheese canneloni, its one of my favourite meals. i make up a big batch (6 portions) eat 1 and freeze the others so have handy meals to put in the microwave. let me know if you want the recipe :-)

Is it healthy canneloni? Love pasta but haven't eaten pasta in ages tbh. Would love the recipe, thanks!
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato, spinach and cherry tomato curry......low fat, healthy and delish!
  • wedjul05
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I know it's good for you (anything green is good for you so my mam says, beetroot is fab too) so often wonder what to do with it.

Keep them coming!
  • wedjul05
    Options

Oh what's THIS recipe? Does it freeze well? I batch make food and don't cook with sweet potato enough.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Salads! There are tons of variations you can get on all recipes or google, but my favourite is one I made up:

I love adding 1/2 - 1 cup of whole wheat penne to a big bowl of spinach, 1/2 a tin of chopped anchovies (using the anchovy oil), 1/2 a tbsp of parmesan cheese, lemon juice and salt and pepper- make the most amazing lunch.
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    bump for the cannaloni recipe :) xx
  • ephemerata
    ephemerata Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    obviously you can mix it into just about anything. i love wilting it into a pot of quinoa with a homemade vinaigrette, lentils, roasted cauliflower, diced tomatoes, and onions. fry thin slices of garlic and shallots in a tablespoon of olive oil, then toss in whole leaves of spinach and half a teaspoon of lemon zest or orange zest. you can also throw in whole sweet basil leaves and use lime zest instead. with some julienned carrots? nomnomnom.
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see the curry recipe, hope it gets posted
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

Oh what's THIS recipe? Does it freeze well? I batch make food and don't cook with sweet potato enough.

Freeze any spare spinach - works a bomb....

http://www.simplycanning.com/freezing-spinach.html
  • cathomer
    cathomer Posts: 88
    Options
    Good in omelettes, spinach and sweet potato curry, can put it in savoury muffins.
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options

I'm at work on the moment (working really hard I promise), I will post the recipe on here for you when I get home. I've never frozen it but it is from a book (can't remember which one) so that may say.......watch this space!
  • wedjul05
    Options
    Ok thanks witchmoo! I will check back later.
  • Stolenstar
    Stolenstar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I made an amazing Spinach and Ricotta pie the other day...recipe is here...

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1854668/spinach-and-ricotta-pie
  • kaali85
    kaali85 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use spinach as an alternative to spaghetti in spaghetti bolognaise, or instead of rice with chilli or curry.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Some recipes! Yum! Love spinach, will also use it in a salad instead of lettuce leaves.

Prawn & Spinach Salad With Lime Honey Dressing
    Ingredients:
    20 g Desiccated Coconut
    150 g Spinach Leaves
    150 g Large Cooked Prawns
    1 small Red Onion, diced
    1 large Mango, peeled and cubed
    Lime Honey Dressing
    3 Tbsp Lime Juice
    1 Tbsp Honey
    1 tsp Mustard
    5 Tbsp Grapeseed Oil Or Sunflower Oil
    Metrics:
    Difficulty: Easy
    Yield: 6

Directions:
    1.Dry fry the coconut over a medium heat until lightly toasted. Whisk the dressing ingredients together and season.

2.Arrange the spinach, prawns, red onion and mango in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with the coconut and pour the dressing over just before serving.

Notes: 184 kcalories, protein 7.2g, carbohydrate 12.9g, fat 11.9 g, saturated fat 3.1g, fibre 2.9g, salt 0.6 g

Alternative - Replace mango with avocado

Chicken, Spinach And Chickpea Salad
    Ingredients:
    1 Barbecued Chicken, meat shredded
    250 g Cherry Tomatoes, halved
    300 g Can Chickpeas, drained, rinsed
    ⅓ cup Flat-Leaf Parsley Leaves, roughly chopped
    100 g Feta Cheese, crumbled
    ⅓ cup Olive Oil
    1 Lemon, juiced
    200 g Baby Spinach
    Crusty Bread, to serve

Yield: (Serves 4)

Directions:
    1. Combine chicken, tomatoes, chickpeas, parsley and feta in a large bowl. Season with black pepper. Toss gently to combine.

2. Combine oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk until well combined.

3. Add spinach to chicken. Drizzle with dressing. Toss to combine. Serve with bread.

Speedy Soy Spinach
    Ingredients:
    1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
    1 Garlic Clove
    200 g Bag Spinach
    2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
    1 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds

Directions:
    1.Heat the oil in a pan and cook the garlic for a few secs. Tip in the spinach and cook for 2 mins, stirring often until just beginning to wilt. Drizzle over the soy sauce, toss through and scatter with sesame seeds. Great served with chicken or grills.

Notes: Per serving - 64 k calories, protein 2g, carbohydrate 2g, fat 5 g, saturated fat 0g, fibre 1g, sugar 1g, salt 1.54 g