Spinach - what to do with?

Options

Replies

• cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I use spinach instead of lettuce in salads, I like to steam it with another veggie or two and have it with brown rice or quinoa. It's great fresh on sandwiches. The most versatile thing to do with it is to wilt it, a little olive oil and some garlic in a skillet and throw several cups of fresh spinach. It will wilt down into a more manageable size and taste great in nearly any dish. After a while it becomes second nature to add it in things, I can go through about 1-2 pounds (104-208 calories) of fresh spinach a week.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Some recipes! Yum! Love spinach, will also use it in a salad instead of lettuce leaves.

Prawn & Spinach Salad With Lime Honey Dressing
    Ingredients:
    20 g Desiccated Coconut
    150 g Spinach Leaves
    150 g Large Cooked Prawns
    1 small Red Onion, diced
    1 large Mango, peeled and cubed
    Lime Honey Dressing
    3 Tbsp Lime Juice
    1 Tbsp Honey
    1 tsp Mustard
    5 Tbsp Grapeseed Oil Or Sunflower Oil
    Metrics:
    Difficulty: Easy
    Yield: 6

Directions:
    1.Dry fry the coconut over a medium heat until lightly toasted. Whisk the dressing ingredients together and season.

2.Arrange the spinach, prawns, red onion and mango in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with the coconut and pour the dressing over just before serving.

Notes: 184 kcalories, protein 7.2g, carbohydrate 12.9g, fat 11.9 g, saturated fat 3.1g, fibre 2.9g, salt 0.6 g

Alternative - Replace mango with avocado

Chicken, Spinach And Chickpea Salad
    Ingredients:
    1 Barbecued Chicken, meat shredded
    250 g Cherry Tomatoes, halved
    300 g Can Chickpeas, drained, rinsed
    ⅓ cup Flat-Leaf Parsley Leaves, roughly chopped
    100 g Feta Cheese, crumbled
    ⅓ cup Olive Oil
    1 Lemon, juiced
    200 g Baby Spinach
    Crusty Bread, to serve

Yield: (Serves 4)

Directions:
    1. Combine chicken, tomatoes, chickpeas, parsley and feta in a large bowl. Season with black pepper. Toss gently to combine.

2. Combine oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk until well combined.

3. Add spinach to chicken. Drizzle with dressing. Toss to combine. Serve with bread.

Speedy Soy Spinach
    Ingredients:
    1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
    1 Garlic Clove
    200 g Bag Spinach
    2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
    1 Tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds

Directions:
    1.Heat the oil in a pan and cook the garlic for a few secs. Tip in the spinach and cook for 2 mins, stirring often until just beginning to wilt. Drizzle over the soy sauce, toss through and scatter with sesame seeds. Great served with chicken or grills.

Notes: Per serving - 64 k calories, protein 2g, carbohydrate 2g, fat 5 g, saturated fat 0g, fibre 1g, sugar 1g, salt 1.54 g

thanks a million for posting these!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE anything with coconut in it so when I saw the first recipe, I was like 'I'm so making that'.

Love chickpeas also. Great recipes, thanks
  • droogievesch
    droogievesch Posts: 202
    Options
    Bumping for more recipes
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Ingredients:
    1 Barbecued Chicken, meat shredded
    250 g Cherry Tomatoes, halved
    300 g Can Chickpeas, drained, rinsed
    ⅓ cup Flat-Leaf Parsley Leaves, roughly chopped
    100 g Feta Cheese, crumbled
    ⅓ cup Olive Oil
    1 Lemon, juiced
    200 g Baby Spinach
    Crusty Bread, to serve

Yield: (Serves 4)

Directions:
    1. Combine chicken, tomatoes, chickpeas, parsley and feta in a large bowl. Season with black pepper. Toss gently to combine.

2. Combine oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk until well combined.

3. Add spinach to chicken. Drizzle with dressing. Toss to combine. Serve with bread.

I think this sounds particularly delicious - do you have the nutritional info for it that you gave for your other recipies please?
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Steam for a few minutes, drain, chop and mix in to pine nuts and chives along with low fat philadelphia. spoon on to jus-roll puff pastry, fold in to samosas. bake on medium high until cooked.
    so nice,
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I use it in smoothies, salads, omelets, soup, on pizza, on sandwiches... went though over 2 pounds of it one month, easy. :bigsmile:
  • Gyllain
    Gyllain Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Use it in a salad in place of lettuce.

OR

Saute in a touch of olive oil with garlic and a splash of white wine until wilted.

OR

Chop it up and use it in omelets
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    WHAT??!?!?!?! I LOVE THIS STUFF!

I put it in salads, sandwiches, with pasta, in omelettes, with chicken, in casseroles, etc...
  • Colleen0980
    Colleen0980 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    eat it raw in a chicken wrap/sandwich/salad, shove it in at the last minute to an omlette, any pasta dish - Yum!
  • sesefeeney
    sesefeeney Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    defo juice it!!!
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    recipe ideas sound great.. thanks.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe for spinach and lentil curry, the only change I make is I usually use coconut oil and I use curry paste instead of powder.

Lentil Spinach Curry in a Hurry

Curry powders go stale very quickly, try to buy it in smaller amounts, particularly if you don’t use it very often.

Serves 2

1 cup of red lentils

2 cups of water

1 small onion, chopped

1 clove of garlic, minced

1/2 tsp ginger, grated

2 tbsp of peanut or vegetable oil

2 tsp of your favorite curry powder (I usually use a Garam Masala or Madras curry powder)

2 tbsp tomato paste

A couple of handfuls of chopped spinach

Salt and pepper to taste

In a small to medium pan add the oil and the onions. Turn the heat to med/high and fry, stirring constantly until they soften a little. Add the garlic and the ginger and continue to stir. When the mixture is lightly golden, add the curry powder and stir for another 20 seconds or until you can smell the spices. Add the lentils and water and bring to a simmer. Let the lentils cook for 15-20 min. Add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the spinach leaves and serve.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options

I think this sounds particularly delicious - do you have the nutritional info for it that you gave for your other recipies please?

sorry I don't ;o(. I have done it also with plain chicken, not bbq'd and just as nice
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Spinach and ricotta cannelloni. Google some recipes. Absolutely delicious.

Any leftover spinach and I simply heat it up in a pan with a little butter then add some balsamic vinegar at the end.
  • ketchup38
    ketchup38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I add it to:

Berry smoothies - frozen berry 100g, spinach 50g, soy milk 250ml and dash of sweetener (VERY FILLING) - under 200cals!

Omlettes

Soups and stews

Meat pastries

Sandwiches

Salads
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas people. makes me feel ever so slightly embarassed that I don't use it more/know what to do with it! And I'm a good cook.....I should know better.

Will defo try out some of those recipes.
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe for spinach and lentil curry, the only change I make is I usually use coconut oil and I use curry paste instead of powder.

Lentil Spinach Curry in a Hurry

Curry powders go stale very quickly, try to buy it in smaller amounts, particularly if you don’t use it very often.

Serves 2

1 cup of red lentils

2 cups of water

1 small onion, chopped

1 clove of garlic, minced

1/2 tsp ginger, grated

2 tbsp of peanut or vegetable oil

2 tsp of your favorite curry powder (I usually use a Garam Masala or Madras curry powder)

2 tbsp tomato paste

A couple of handfuls of chopped spinach

Salt and pepper to taste

In a small to medium pan add the oil and the onions. Turn the heat to med/high and fry, stirring constantly until they soften a little. Add the garlic and the ginger and continue to stir. When the mixture is lightly golden, add the curry powder and stir for another 20 seconds or until you can smell the spices. Add the lentils and water and bring to a simmer. Let the lentils cook for 15-20 min. Add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the spinach leaves and serve.

This ^ or Don't add lentils, everything else is good recipe, may be you want to blend spinach after boiling it to make it a sort of puree.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • 26Nirak
    26Nirak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i make a spinich and cottage cheese canneloni, its one of my favourite meals. i make up a big batch (6 portions) eat 1 and freeze the others so have handy meals to put in the microwave. let me know if you want the recipe :-)

I'd like it please!! I need some meal ideas for the freezer....and this one sounds yummy! Thanks!