I need to drink more water-- help!

Options
2»

Replies

• hammie1986
    hammie1986 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I found that a water cup with a straw worked wonders. I would just sit at my desk and sip and sip and then I'd have to refill every other hour. I can't wait to add cucumber to my water and try that. Thanks for the tips!
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your ideas!

I will definitely try adding a piece of fresh fruit. I do notice I tend to drink more if a slice of lemon is in it, but I never considered berries. Good suggestion!

I also have a plastic carry cup at my desk that has a straw, so I will try that today and see what happens.

I do like tea, but only tea with tons of sugar in it, so I am trying to avoid that route.

Thanks, again.
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    When eating, try taking a mouthful of water after every bite. It might seem tedious at first, but it'll become a habit soon...you'll be surprised how much you can drink that way.
  • therfc
    therfc Posts: 11
    Options
    There was a time when I has having severe bouts of nausea and almost everything, including water, would elicit an violent up chuck episode. I found that carbonated water with and without flavoring, helped me keep hydrated. So when I do feel my stomach is in revolution mode, poland springs carbonated spring water, perrier and TJ's carbonated water all helped. To keep my costs down I would buy cases at BJ's wholesale (like Costco and Sam's club) and stock up when there were coupons for water.

Alternatively start including more high water fruits and veggies into your diet to help with hydration.

Good luck!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Something simple works for me: a straw. I don't know why but I drink more water.

Me too! Actually I have one of those cool cups that have a hard straw and keeps the water cool. Another trick I do is just add a small amount of Crystal Light to my huge glass of water, not enough to matter but enough to give it a little bit of flavor.
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    Straws worked for me in the beginning. I HATED water.

It took me awhile to break the diet soda and tea habit, but once I did, I didn't look back.

I've gotten to where I crave water. It has to be ice cold though. I can't do luke warm. :)

Good luck to you!
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton more water when I'm drinking out of my nalgene bottle. It makes a big enough difference that I started using them at home on the weekends as well as while at work. I also always order a glass of water when I'm out to eat, even if I'm getting another beverage too. Once in a while I'll make a pitcher of Crystal Light at home just to mix it up a little, but I've found over the years that the more water I drink the more my body craves!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I never was a water fan but what I do is I drink 16 ounces with breakfast then at 10:30 I down another and again around 3:30. I just make myself drink it fairly fast. If you just drink it up and get it over with it ain't so bad lol.
  • octleigh
    octleigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am at home with my kids most days so I found that if I put a bottle of water in the bathroom, laundry room, etc and I drink from it every time I go into that room, I usually get 4-6 glasses that way with little effort. Then i try to drink a glass or two with meals. Also crystal light has a new flavored packet with no artificial sweeteners. It is made with truvia. It says to mix it with 16 oz but I mix it with 64 just to give the water a hint of flavor. Works great for me. Fresh lemon, strawberries, and even cucumber do a nice job adding flavor. Good luck!!
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I buy the splash flavored water from walmart. Zero everything!! It comes in many different flavors. I mix 3/4 flavored with 1/4 tap water to stretch it a little and you still get the flavor!
    I too have to pee alot but I still drink at least 8 glasses a day.
  • terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    A straw for some reason works for me too. I also try to make it a game. I try to beat my last intake by a little. If I drink 20 ounces then I will try to drink 24 the next time around. Also, change your cups til you find one that doesn't feel like the task is so daunting.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    just drink it. it's really not that hard to get down a measley 8 cups of water a day. lost of people add fruit to their water if they don't like the taste - but I suggest you just learn to like it - or just do it - just like anything else you make yourself do (i.e. workout, eat healthy, etc)..... crystal light is also an option. I drink 15-20 cups of water a day - plain ol' water. If I want something bubbly I drink sparkling water - fruity flavored - from wal mart. :)
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I will direct you to this wonderfully helpful post. Thanks to this advice I have been able to drink more water then I ever thought possible.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/649350-danny-s-tips-on-drinking-more-water
  • digitaljdr
    digitaljdr Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I bought two plastic BPA free water cups and keep one in the office at work and one at home. I became addicted to the hawaiian punch drink mix that is sugar free. I seriously have boxes of them in my desk at work and at home in the cupboard. One thing I notice is that I have to have it cold, I dislike warm water.

Hope this helps.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    you could always set yourself up for a week of depriving yourself of water until you're so thirsty it becomes a rewarding experience for you. then you'll always pair it with relief and you'll enjoy it.

:D

or just eat a lot of cucumbers and water logged foods. or just do little sips at a time. it doesn't have to be this big chugging, water logging competition every day.
  • Tracy_03311981
    Options
    I also have a small aversion to water, after drinking it my throat gets dry and it drives me crazy, but I have to push through cause I know I have to drink at least 8 cups a day.
    At my desk at work I keep a bottle with a straw, which I think everyone agrees is easier to drink with a straw cause you get more with a sip. I also just put plain old lemon juice in it to give it some flavor.
    I absolutely can't stand artificial sweeteners so I avoid the crystal lights and the like, but I think if you put some fruit in it it will help as well.

:)
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The straw has helped me immensely. That being said, when I 1st started MFP 2 months ago I had the same aversion to water that I wanted to overcome. I would feel quezzy that first week but still made myself drink it. 2 months later the water is 2nd nature. I'm predominently drinking just water. Once you get through that 1st week, hopefully you'll be through that hurdle. Good luck!
  • CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    Add a thinly sliced apple and a cinnamon stick to a pitcher, fill halfway with ice and then fill with water. Let it sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes and then enjoy. I also prefer water that has been filtered and I drink out of a large water bottle.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    When eating, try taking a mouthful of water after every bite. It might seem tedious at first, but it'll become a habit soon...you'll be surprised how much you can drink that way.
    This is an awesome idea. Thanks!
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    Options
    Add a thinly sliced apple and a cinnamon stick to a pitcher, fill halfway with ice and then fill with water. Let it sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes and then enjoy. I also prefer water that has been filtered and I drink out of a large water bottle.
    This sounds delicious. I definite MUST try!