Do You Ride a Motorcycle?

Options

Replies

• jsmith0644
    jsmith0644 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I ride a Kawasaki Classic 1600. The size of bike you buy is also dependant on how big you are. Big guy big bike. Whats your ride style. Wanna cruise, wanna fly? Cross states ir cross town?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I ride a Kawasaki Classic 1600. The size of bike you buy is also dependant on how big you are. Big guy big bike. Whats your ride style. Wanna cruise, wanna fly? Cross states ir cross town?

I'd rather fly. Not into cruising. I can see myself doing long trips and on questionable roads. I'm not too sure a sport bike is the best for me.
  • onefuzzy
    onefuzzy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been riding since I was 10 and have had a number of bikes over the years. I currently ride supermotos (motards) and dirt bikes on the street, dirt and on the track. SUMO's are a blast in town and on the track but not too comfy for long rides. They are easy to maintain and if you drop them you don't do much damage! I have also had an SV and a Gixxer 600. I would definitely get the Gixxer over the SV any day! The suspension is better and for a little bit of extra $$ you get an all around better bike.

I try and take some sort of rider safety or skills class every couple years to continue to hone my skills and eliminate my bad habits! Just remember you are in control of the throttle no matter how much horse power or torque your bike has!
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yes I do...... I'm 5'4 and dont find theres many bikes out there I cant ride or cope with...

I have at the moment a Yamaha FZ1 Fazer which has the 04 R1 engine in. I commute on it most days to work and I love it. Last week we picked up a Yamaha XJR400 import to do up so I can commute on that instead.

Someone mentioned on here earlier the necessity of having a bike as petrol was $1.45 a litre.... Seriously???? Over here (UK) I currently pay £1.30 a litre which at todays exchange rate is $2.03 a litre !! $1.45 is £0.93 a litre here we'd kill to have that price here!!

In March our prices were £1.49 a litre for diesel and £1.45 a litre for petrol , $2.33 and $2.27 a litre respectivley hence the bike use when I can...

OP I'd suggest test riding what you can and buy what you feel comfortable with...
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    Mybike2011.jpg

img013.jpg
  • rbrashear68
    Options
    Currently only in the dirt! Love 2 wheelers though!
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Some pretty bike pictures on here!

Agreeing with the long time riders that have posted. I would say don't buy a bike you are going to "grow into" for a first. Buy one you will outgrow and THEN get the one you like. Your safety instructor would likely tell you the same. You can have a lot of fun on a Buell Blast for a few seasons then get the Ducatti, Habayusa, or what ever trips your trigger. It can be very frustrating and potentially harmful trying to get your skill level UP to the bike you presently own. But, buy the one right for your skill level (starter) - drive it a year or so and then graduate to something more technical. Be safe either way you go!

I now drive CanAm Sypder Roadsters and LOVE the new kind of ride. Not for everyone for sure but neat and fun.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Harley Davidson! This is me and my wife on my new Christmas present:

http://doomspark.net/images/trike.jpg
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned on here earlier the necessity of having a bike as petrol was $1.45 a litre.... Seriously???? Over here (UK) I currently pay £1.30 a litre which at todays exchange rate is $2.03 a litre !! $1.45 is £0.93 a litre here we'd kill to have that price here!!

Lol keep in mind it is much more common to have a longer daily commute in the America's than in Europe and the UK. My father drives about 150 miles a day for work. My husband drives 50 round trip and we consider that short.
  • huntindawg1962
    Options
    Now if you drove that backwards, Doomspark, it would look correct :)
  • sksummers61
    sksummers61 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've ridden most of my life, sold my last street bike a year ago, got to the point that I felt the distracted drivers on the street were going to cause me some irreparable damage, I really miss riding. The thing to absolutely know about a bike is that it is not IF you are going to have an accident, it is WHEN. Do everything you can to educate yourself and train on riding a Motorcycle. I wouldn't let my kids(adult) ride on the street without taking the MSF course to at least make you more aware and prepare you. The statistics on first time rider accidents are incredibly high, do your best to be safe.
  • doomspark
    Options
    The thing to absolutely know about a bike is that it is not IF you are going to have an accident, it is WHEN. Do everything you can to educate yourself and train on riding a Motorcycle. I wouldn't let my kids(adult) ride on the street without taking the MSF course to at least make you more aware and prepare you. The statistics on first time rider accidents are incredibly high, do your best to be safe.

QFT
  • doomspark
    Options

*chortle*

I took a Spyder out for a test ride once - didn't like the way they handle.
  • huntindawg1962
    Options

*chortle*

I took a Spyder out for a test ride once - didn't like the way they handle.

Yup - not like the typical bike. Takes about 500 miles to get used to not over-handling it and keeping a lighter touch on it. Then it is remarkable. But don't counter-steer it!
  • pss66
    pss66 Posts: 5
    Options
    Been riding since 2006. I have a Honda VTX1300. My husband has the Honda VTX1800. Low maintanence and great ride.
  • hoskibn
    hoskibn Posts: 86
    Options

My biggest problem with something like the SV650 is that EVERYONE has one! I love to be different, stand out from the crowd.

You could always go for a naked SV650, those aren't as common around here anyway.

I do ride, still on my first bike, an 82 Nighthawk, being replaced next season.
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    2011 Honda Interstate here.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I used to ride! And I sure do miss it. One of these days when all the kids are grown and out of the house, I hope to buy another one.
    Anyway, I've ridden many different bikes, but my favorite was a Kawasaki Vulcan. I liked it because it just seemed to "fit" me...low to the ground, easy to balance, handlebars were the right distance...it was just a comfortable bike. I could ride on a whole tank of gas without having to stop to rest my back. And with the Vulcan, I could handle my dad's 1500cc just as easily as I could handle my 800cc.
  • sapabt
    sapabt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My current ride is a 07 Honda Shadow Aero.

My favorite ride is a tie between a Triumph Bonneville 650 (British shift) and a Harley FXRS (my first "brand new" bike).

Cheers,
    bt
  • julepgirl
    julepgirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I recently rounded up pics of my first ride on each of my bikes.

Started riding at seven - a little Yamaha 80. Still have it and it's still a blast on trails and around the farm. I've never really cared about flat-footing, as you can see.
    7845155340_b166e8c33b_n.jpg

moved up to a hand-me-down Honda 125 to get around my small town. It was my mom's and she'd gotten it street legal, but only really ever ridden it on trails (or to and from). It had a little get-up-and-go, and simple enough systems that it was a good way to start learning to fix and maintain my own bike.
    7845160588_99e3901afc_n.jpg

My latest ride is a Honda Shadow Spirit 750. I've outgrown it for sure, but now I live in the Boston area, and have a 16-month-old (and apparently it's not car seat compatible ;)
    7845165026_173395aa6f_n.jpg

I actually recommend finding a used Spirit for any 5'4" or shorter newbies. It's got a really nice low saddle and low center of gravity, so it's a pretty comfortable "adult" bike. I don't think I could handle another long trip on it, can't stretch out enough, but I have put a lot of highway miles on it, so it was ok for a while.

My dream bike (I know, old news, but I just can't get over it) is a Honda Valkyrie Rune.
    7845308942_47897fe340_n.jpg
    *swoon*