Love my new life but..

Options
there seems to always be something that threatens to discourage me or put me into fear that I won't succeed. In the last 2 weeks I've had a little shocking sensation in my right arch. Very small and don't feel it when I am walking. Just when I kneel down and sort of stretch that area. No pain, just feels like a little nerve is damaged or something.

I know it's not a biggie, I have a lot bigger issues but walking is my favorite thing and I just wonder if anyone else has experienced any type of nerve thing like this? I had it in my left leg a few years back, or at least similar. I walked like 4 miles a day for 5 months and it happened. But it was way worse. My skin is still numb but no burning or shock sensation. It used to burn bad when I would pull on my jeans or lay on it accidentally in bed. I hope this is something that will subside or go away. I wear good tennies and watch for wear and tear then I replace when needed.

Any feedback welcome that might put my mind at ease. I can't see going to a doctor with such a tiny thing but if it gets any worse at all I will.

denise:drinker: :drinker:

Replies

• gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Do you stretch? Maybe roll a tennis ball under your foot and look up other stretches for your foot. I don't really know. I always try everything I can think of before I go to a doctor.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Well, I do all the time, but I have MS so it's kinda par for the course. Don't know what to suggest for you :/ Maybe have a chat with your doctor? Good luck, Denise!
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    sounds like it might be the start of plantar fasciitis. Ive battled this for about the past 4 years. The tennis ball suggestion was an excellent one, also really stretch out your calves before and after walking. Icing after a long walk is good too.
  • p21usa
    p21usa Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with lauralind. I would say that half of my walking friends experience this at some point in time. My husband has had it in the past and it kept him from walking for 6 months! Dont wait for it to go away on it's own. Google it, as there are lots of things to do. The tennis ball is good, as is wearing a special "boot" at night. Also, alternate icing and heating can help!

Of course, it may not be this but pain is usually there for some reason so be careful! Good thing you have your kayaking!!!
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'd go to a podiatrist or another doctor who specializes in sports medicine. Honestly, if walking is that important to you, then it should be important enough to see a doctor before it gets worse. I put off going to the podiatrist for several weeks because of a slight pain I had in my foot. It turned out that I'd fractured two bones, and I've not been able to do much of anything exercise-wise for the past few weeks. If I'd gone sooner, then I'd be done with wearing a boot and "resting" by now.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    A lot of walking can cause micro fractures in your feet. It is very common in barefoot runners or those who buy footwear that are meant to mimic the sensation of being barefoot.

I would tone down the walking mileage to let it heal & invest in a great pair of shoes.

Try cycling instead.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    sounds like it might be the start of plantar fasciitis. Ive battled this for about the past 4 years. The tennis ball suggestion was an excellent one, also really stretch out your calves before and after walking. Icing after a long walk is good too.

^^This^^

I was diagnosed with this in 1996, and it took a while to get used to. Make sure you have plenty of arch support in your shoes, and try the tennis ball. You can also use a full (unopened) soda can - and don't plan on opening it for a while, either. :)

If I wear the right shoes, I'm fine, and I don't even notice it. If I take short cuts on the shoes/support, I start paying within about 2 hours.
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    I agree with the post on plantar faciatis... i have that in both my feet and its horrible when i dont stretch. I have a little ramp like thing that i stretch my feet on -- my physical therapist recommended it for me because my muscles were so tight and my feet had no movement (who knew?!). Check the arches in your shoes... also, if you have a specialty running store near you see if they do evaluations on your gait, foot movement, arch, etc... the one here by me does an evaluation each time i get a pair of shoes so that i get the right pair of shoes... they arent cheap though (our store here is called Virginia Runner). Main thing would be to really get good stretches for your calves and arches -- dont do quick ones, do slow ones that stretch the muscle rather than shock the muscle. Hope this helps!!
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    lauralind5 said:

I had plantar fasciitis for several years, and thought that I would have to live with it forever. After three or four years of living with it and using a cupped insert in my shoe so that I could walk, I started going to bed with an ice pack on my foot every night. I would say that within a month I was completely better. I haven't iced my foot or used the insert since, and it has been about three years.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I don't know if you have PF or not....a dr would be one to assess that. Might be a good idea to get it checked out in case is something worse (or will get worse).

I have PF. The dr had me quit running for several months to heal it up. I'm finally back running again and so far it hasn't bothered me too much.

I keep a bottle of water in the freezer. Every time I finish a run, I roll that bottle across the bottom of my foot. It has done wonders for my PF. I sometimes even do it when my PF bothers me, regardless of whether or not I ran.

Changing my runs from running in the evening to running in the morning has also helped a bunch.

I also have orthotics (shoe inserts for PF) and a boot to wear at night....but the kids have ran off with them somewhere lol.

Good luck!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch Gilda but you can bet I will start doing that! Yes, try other things besides a doctor, totally agree. I am busy eating myself out of house and home this a.m. Don't know what hit me but I am eating all good stuff so not gonna worry:laugh:
    Do you stretch? Maybe roll a tennis ball under your foot and look up other stretches for your foot. I don't really know. I always try everything I can think of before I go to a doctor.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Hi Jamie,

I'm sorry to hear you have MS. You are the second friend I have here that has it. I so admire and support you gals! Denise
    Well, I do all the time, but I have MS so it's kinda par for the course. Don't know what to suggest for you :/ Maybe have a chat with your doctor? Good luck, Denise!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Thanks Laura! I appreciate your help soooooooooo much! Knowing someone has similar or same helps. It's like if other's are surviving it, I can too:)

denise
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    thank youuuuuuuu much! Yes, that kayak might save me if I can't do my walking as much;) I won't wait, I will do what is suggested:drinker: :drinker: denise
    I have to agree with lauralind. I would say that half of my walking friends experience this at some point in time. My husband has had it in the past and it kept him from walking for 6 months! Dont wait for it to go away on it's own. Google it, as there are lots of things to do. The tennis ball is good, as is wearing a special "boot" at night. Also, alternate icing and heating can help!

Of course, it may not be this but pain is usually there for some reason so be careful! Good thing you have your kayaking!!!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Alter your cardio....walking, swimming, treadmill, elliptical, dancing.....do something different.
    Perform resistance as well.
    And rest is paramount, so make sure you take some days off.
    Good Luck
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Thank you for the info and I am sorry to hear about your injury. I will consider going to a doc;) denise
    I'd go to a podiatrist or another doctor who specializes in sports medicine. Honestly, if walking is that important to you, then it should be important enough to see a doctor before it gets worse. I put off going to the podiatrist for several weeks because of a slight pain I had in my foot. It turned out that I'd fractured two bones, and I've not been able to do much of anything exercise-wise for the past few weeks. If I'd gone sooner, then I'd be done with wearing a boot and "resting" by now.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    there seems to always be something that threatens to discourage me or put me into fear that I won't succeed. In the last 2 weeks I've had a little shocking sensation in my right arch. Very small and don't feel it when I am walking. Just when I kneel down and sort of stretch that area. No pain, just feels like a little nerve is damaged or something.

I know it's not a biggie, I have a lot bigger issues but walking is my favorite thing and I just wonder if anyone else has experienced any type of nerve thing like this? I had it in my left leg a few years back, or at least similar. I walked like 4 miles a day for 5 months and it happened. But it was way worse. My skin is still numb but no burning or shock sensation. It used to burn bad when I would pull on my jeans or lay on it accidentally in bed. I hope this is something that will subside or go away. I wear good tennies and watch for wear and tear then I replace when needed.

Any feedback welcome that might put my mind at ease. I can't see going to a doctor with such a tiny thing but if it gets any worse at all I will.

I have the same problem. In my case, it's a strained spring ligament. It runs the bottom of your foot through your arch area. I've been icing it with a frozen water bottle after walking, exercising, and every night. Also, it helps to get shoes with an arch support or inserts for your shoes with arch supports. Definitely try that and icing.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I appreciate everyones help so much! I wanted to say that I have NO pain whatsoever, just to make sure everyone knows. It is just a shock sensation, feels as though it's about an inch worth of shock, weird I know.

Anyway, I will come back and see if anyone has said more:) Again, thank you all, denise:drinker: :drinker:

I have the same problem. In my case, it's a strained spring ligament. It runs the bottom of your foot through your arch area. I've been icing it with a frozen water bottle after walking, exercising, and every night. Also, it helps to get shoes with an arch support or inserts for your shoes with arch supports. Definitely try that and icing.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I would go see a podiatrist to be on the safe side. I was having the same kind of pain and it ended up being plantar fasciitis and it was already making a bone spur grow on my heel. You DO NOT want this. It can be treated easily with orthotics, exercises like the previous poster said about the tennis ball, etc.

I have been walking since Jan and I set a goal to walk 1,000 miles by Oct. for a lil 4 yr old buddy of mine who has an inoperable brain tumor and to raise money for St. Judes. I'm up to about 560 miles so far. This little guy is my inspiration! I have been thrown every problem possible during this quest. Athletes foot, chafing, skin yeast infections, blisters, and many other foot probs. I now have a broken big toe and foot so I'm biking to get my miles in now. lol Sometimes I think it's the devil throwing these obstacles at me but I will not give in.

There is a solution to any problem you have that comes along. Do not give up, search the forums, find a solution and keep on moving!

You can do this but you have to take care of yourself along the way to avoid any further injury! Go see a Dr.
    Good luck and <hugs>. I hope you get some relief soon.
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    [/quote] If I wear the right shoes, I'm fine, and I don't even notice it. If I take short cuts on the shoes/support, I start paying within about 2 hours.
    [/quote]

Yep, same here. Or walk a lot on cement. The shopping mall is HORRID for me in that way.