Harder to lose weight when you get older?

Options

Replies

• lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Another yes! it is harder, takes longer, and I am pushing 60 !! But it can be done. Remember to be more careful of hurting yourself if it's been awhile since you worked out, lifted weights, ran that 5-minute mile! It was so easy to lose extra pounds when I was 25 and 35 and even 40. Really, I should never, ever have let the weight creep back on in the first place -- Duh!
  • BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    Yes, it's harder but it's not an excuse.

Have you had your thyroid tested? I was exactly your age when I developed that problem.

Last year when I had my blood work done, my thyroid was fine. I was thinking of having my blood work done again.
    I agree, it isn't an excuse. Just a frustration, honestly.

Thanks for the idea.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    yes another one here i'm 43 and its way harder now than when i lost weight when i was 30. i guess i'll just have to try even harder!!
  • BarbBlue
    Options
    Personally I think it's more to do with life and other obligations as we get older then it is to do with your age.....4 months=38 pounds....just hard work, exercise and eating right. Maybe I'm just lucky but I firmly believe you get out of this what you put into it.....

I agree and that is why I am frustrated. I went to the nutritionist for a plan and also work out daily. That is why I am wondering if age has anything to do with it.
    Thanks!
  • BarbBlue
    Options
    I think it definitely is harder! We tend to get more sedentary, metabolism slows, and we lose muscle mass as we age (unless we take steps to build muscles and slow this decline).

But harder is not impossible! I've just completed a year long effort to become fitter and healthier and I'm now at my goal weight. I turned 50 a couple of months ago. If you are interested, I blogged about my year: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/themedalist

Thanks, i will check it out!
  • BarbBlue
    Options
    It is not just a matter of opinion, it is harder - for women - I don't know about men. Even weight watchers reduces the amount of points women are allotted with age - although not enough for me. Just google "weight loss during perimenopause" and find a thousand articles and books.

I couldn't lose weight to save my life (literally) until I started strength-training. It is possible, you just have to work at and be patient.

Thanks for the idea, I will google it!
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't really think it's harder.....I guess the older I get and the years of abuse my body has gone through Yo -yoing, even with "dieting" and exercise my body will never be what I'd like it to be. It's taken me about a year, but I have reached my goal @52 total pounds . Strength training has definately help with the last 10 pounds. Now the scary part starts.......maintaining !!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Looking back I think what it was is that I would skip meals because I was busy and then ate huge dinners. ... I have more scheduled meals and skipping really never happens. Watch your calorie intake, exercise, try to avoid tons of carbs and when you do eat carbs have some protein with it to keep your insulin levels from peaking.
    Yes, to all of the above. Eat breakfast every morning. Eat fruit, lots of vegetables, nuts, beans, the good stuff. Cut down the carbs and fats, all the stuff we already know we should do. Cut out the junk food (we all know what that consists of)!
    You're in the right place!
  • BarbBlue
    Options
    Yes, it's harder to lose and to maintain Well, maybe not harder but your metabolism naturally slows a little every year so you have to either exercise more or eat less to maintain the same weight. Age 40 was about when I noticed it start.

Now at age 51, my TDEE at sedentary is about the same as the BMR of many women in their 20's. And it's only going to get worse in the next few years. :grumble:

Interesting, I agree that is why I want to lose it now and keep it off.

Thanks!
  • capperboy
    capperboy Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes it's harder, when I was younger to loose those extra kilos I just upped the exercise.
    Now I have count calories as well.
    Don't let age stop you doing anything sometimes takes longer but just as enjoyable.
  • WAMarathoner
    Options
    Definitely. I'm 54, and no matter how carefully I eat, if I don't combine it with a good amount of exercise, I start putting pounds back on. At least that makes for good motivation for hitting the road.

I like to think of it as being "in it for the long haul'. As long I'm losing weight when I exercise regularly, I don't worry TOO much about how fast it comes off. A half-pound a week is still 26 pounds per year!
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I would have to say not really. My metabolism may be a little slower then when I was 20 but it all comes down to a calorie deficit and how bad you want it.
  • kwoodson94
    kwoodson94 Posts: 37
    Options
    It is harder, I am 53 . My doctor told me to concentrate on protein more, he recommends 80 to 100 grams a day. Also water is very good, and vitamins. You want to feel at your very best. Good luck!
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    On the plus side, what I lack in youth and energy I more than make up for in willpower and maturity. It balances out.
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    For me it is easier now than when I was 19 or 20 because I am doing it the right way instead of starving myself and making myself ill.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    It's certainly harder for me now than it was 15 years ago!! But, with dedication and knowledge, I've accomplished more in a much HEALTHIER manner, than I ever did in my 20's or 30's.

With age comes wisdom. Use it to your advantage!!

:-)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    For me, YES. I am 40.
    It started getting harder around 33, but boy-oh-boy- 40 is worse than 33, LOL.
    partly becuase it seems to take "less food and more moving" than it did when I was 20 and partly because now a 15 minute bike ride KILLS ME and at 20 yrs old I could ride an hour without blinking.

(feel free to add me if you want)
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a bit harder for me (I'm 46) but is definitely doable. However, it's the toning that stinks. I don't seem to have that wonderful elasticity that I had in my 20s. *sigh* Apparently, years of yoyo weight abuse, along with pushing out 2 kids doesn't really help with the shrinking back (and looking tight and toned) concept...

Mind you, I'm doing well with the weight loss and am almost at goal, but the toning may be a constant battle. It CAN be done, but not overnight.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i turned 40 this year too and oh yes it's harder. i sometimes feel like for the amount of time and energy i put into exercising i should be a LOT lighter than i am but alias i'm not and i blame my age. DAMN 40! :) lol

however, i am certainly healthier than i was in my 20s.
    Hi,

i just turned 40 and although I am happy that I have been losing weight, it seems like it is much harder and taking longer.
    Is it because of my age. I remember people saying that the older you get, the harder it is to lose weight.
    Is that true?

It is very frustrating, wondering what other people's experiences are?

Thanks!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    ]
    Yes, to all of the above. Eat breakfast every morning. Eat fruit, lots of vegetables, nuts, beans, the good stuff. Cut down the carbs and fats, all the stuff we already know we should do. Cut out the junk food (we all know what that consists of)!
    You're in the right place!

I disagree about cutting down on fats. Certainly you don't want to eat too much, but I believe eating healthy fats become more important as we age because fat is good for our skin and hair. Meeting or exceeding your fat goal can help with sagging as you lose weight.