How much do people use cash anymore?

Options

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I use cash as much as I possibly can. I don't want a paper trail so people can study and analyse my shopping habits! They do actually do that, you know.

Or if I wanted to suddenly disappear. It would be a lot harder to trace me.

Yep. This is me. I think people are way to blahsey (sp?) about how unimportant they think this tracking is. I know a lot about it and it scares the *kitten* out of me. You wouldn't believe the info they can collect on you. Many say "so what", well, I hope that's true. But, it is very insideous. You're not going to know about it, until it's too late to reverse it.

For instance, it's not just that you spent $x at the grocery store, they can itemize it, and find out that half your bill is alcohol. So, let's say you're in a car accident and the insurance company says that you are an alcoholic, so it is likely you were drunk, even if you werent, and they produce all this anecdotal evidence. *kitten* like that, and worse, can happen as these huge comapnies and industries work harder and harder to fight against you, think medical and insurance companies.

Anyway, everyone do what you want. Those are my reasons.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I use cash all the time, don't like using plastic; but I am old fashioned I guess.
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I use cash 90% of the time and debit card the other 10%. I only use the debit card so I can buy online. I have no credit and I want no credit.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    If I can see it in my hand it somehow makes it harder for me to spend! So definitely cash for me!
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Once you get hit with identity thief, you'll go back to using cash~!
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I use cash 90% of the time and debit card the other 10%. I only use the debit card so I can buy online. I have no credit and I want no credit.

Exactly!! Me too! Financial Peace, baby!!
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I almost never have cash, although I do use a debit card a lot.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I use cash for pretty much everything except bills.
  • chazsucks
    chazsucks Posts: 170
    Options
    I keep coins in my car in case I park in a car park that doesn't accept card... that's about it for me
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I think you're going to see a lot more people reverting to using cash more often once merchants start imposing fees for paying with debit/credit cards. Now that the big class action lawsuit against VISA & Mastercard has been settled merchants, for the first time ever, will be permitted to do so.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I don't carry cash at all anymore...I think I have a five in my purse because I needed parking change the other day....it'll be there forever unless I give it to my daughter.

In fact when I'm put into a situation where I do have to use cash and that necessitates me making a special trip to the branch ATM I am always annoyed.

Lauren
  • cwade1021
    cwade1021 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    We pay everything cash. No credit. If we can't afford to pay cash for it, we save until we can. We have a strict budget and every month we take out our cash allowance for each category and when the money is gone, it's gone. We don't touch our checking (or savings). Our categories include: gas, groceries, clothes, health/hygiene, house, gifts, misc. and dining out/dates.

I still write checks.... having said that we still pay all our bills electronically online and make use of our online banking.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    My Starbucks card auto-reloads from my Visa card when it gets down to $10, so no cash needed for that. My transit card does the same thing. I have a little speedpass thing on my keys to buy gas, so I don't even need a wallet for that. I use my Visa for all gas and groceries to get 2% cash back.

I only use cash for the rare time that I buy a very small item, but I can carry the same $20 for weeks at a time.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes I carry cash, but I'd say I use cards more.

I don't know how it is in the US in terms of small businesses without card machines, but when you have a corner shop 1 minute from your house that charge over £1 to use a card, you carry cash. There are a couple of stores that only take cash, the bus only takes cash, and then there's my driving lessons, which are (you guessed it) - cash.

I don't use cheques though. Ever. I also don't use credit. Everything that's not in cash is just from a debit card, and most bills are either direct debit or paid online.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I use checks for my hospital bills and for my 2 loans. Other than that I pay everything else online and I use my debit on groceries and gas and everything else. I rarly ever have cash on hand bc when I do my fiance uses it.
  • LilGiselle21
    LilGiselle21 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I always keep $20 in my purse in smaller bills just in case!!!
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    I don't even see a paycheck. It goes in as a credit to my checking and then there are these irritating automatic bill pay debits that eat away at the balance. I am all about the debit card for my non-fixed spending. Which is good because things you need cash for are just frivilous anyways.
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    I rarely use my debit card - it's too risky. If the number is compromised, that's cash out of your bank account that you have to fight to get back, and that can take weeks. I only use it at the ATM. (If you use your debit card to buy gas at a pump, they will put a hold on your account that can take a few days to be lifted. Also, there was a rash of events locally where thieves would put a "skimmer" on gas pumps. It looks like the device that you insert your card into, but it steals your number.)

I pay for almost everything on my credit card, then go online and transfer the money from my checking to my credit card. I don't wait for the credit card statement; this keeps me from running up a balance on my card. Also, if you have a card that gives you points or cash back (like Discover), you can actually make money by using your credit card. Right now Discover is running a special of 5% cash back on gas purchases for three months. Since I have a long commute, that adds up quickly for me!

If your credit card number is stolen, you still have to deal with getting the charges removed, but you're not out any money while doing so.

I carry a small amount of cash for incidentals. I also use cash for the farmers market every Saturday, as well as my hairdresser (who doesn't accept credit cards).
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I use cash...at strip clubs.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Whne I realized how they are tracking you, I stopped using cards. I am 100% cash for everything except my bills, which are auto pay out of my account. I can't even tell you anymore what my bills cost. i have no idea. They just take what they need. I calculated it one time, and that's it. My bank auto deposits a set amount every month and that's it. i don't see it or even want to know about it. the entire balance left after that, I withdraw and pay for everything with cash...groceries, gas, and everything else that is not a bill.

For one-time bills, like a medical expense, I'll write a check.

As credit cards get paid off, IO scoop that money over into my cash account that I withdraw and once they are all paid off, I will never ever use a credit card again in my life ever for any reason. EVER. It's cash or nothing.

LOL, kind of recently, all th parking garages in my area are moving to debit card only because they are letting go the attendants. Cheaper for them. So, I didn't knwo that. i don't carry any cards with me ever so I don't use them, I just have cash and my ID. So, I'm standing there wondering how I get out of the garaage. LOL. I had to break out. Had no choice. LOL.

For savings, I hide cash around in different places. A little at home, but some is in very weird places that you'd never guess. I like it that way. It keep the freaking government out of my business. They don't have a need to know anything. I hope when I retire, i have so much untaxed doiuble taxed unclaimed cash that I'll be better off than everyone else with tracable income that is taxed out of their butts.