A word of warning to new comers

Options
davidr730
davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
This is a great place to meet people, get motivated and feel supported. This is unfortunately also a great place to get a wide range of advice from people who are not necessarily nutritionists. I've seen great advise and I've seen some not so great advice. I've also seen dangerous advice. Reach out, get opinions, get motivated, but run any dietary decisions by your MD a licensed nutritionist. Not all weight loss is safe weight loss.

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    well said.
  • Icelandic_Saga
    Icelandic_Saga Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    Good advice! :smile:
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    This is a great place to meet people, get motivated and feel supported. This is unfortunately also a great place to get a wide range of advice from people who are not necessarily nutritionists. I've seen great advise and I've seen some not so great advice. I've also seen dangerous advice. Reach out, get opinions, get motivated, but run any dietary decisions by your MD a licensed nutritionist. Not all weight loss is safe weight loss.

And/or use common sense! You really can't go wrong with a well-balanced diet, lots of water, and some activity every day. That has never gone out of style. All extremes should be avoided because unless you are one of those rare individuals whose lives revolve around fitness you will not be able to sustain it.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    *clap clap*
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Well said. I've seen some ridiculous ideas/opinions on here but that's what the hide button is for. :)
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    KUDOS!

You definitely need a seive on here for all the advice you get!
  • davidr730
    Options
    Anyone who is interested in safe consistent weight loss is welcome to friend me. If you're one of those people who think eating below your BMR is safe and extreme weight loss is sustainable then I'm not really going to be a great friend for you. I get all of my advice from my MD. a nutritionist, and the Mayo Clinic. I'm always looking to make friends to support and to be supported.
  • tamimac12
    tamimac12 Posts: 36
    Options
    I saw your post the other day about the amount of calories the MFP assigns... I'm having a hard time finding things to eat so I've been sticking with salads. I do like how it shows you how much protein, carbs etc that you eat for the day. If my bloodwork comes back as pre-diabetic, then my doctor is going to refer me to a nutritionist. I really don't think I can eat salads for dinner every day forever, so any advice on dinner meals would be great :)
    thanks!
  • MissySho
    MissySho Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Kudos on this post....I'm still pretty new to this so anyone sane and not into the whole crazy extreme dieting and starvation thing please add me. I need some friends in the same boat as me.....ones willing to work hard, change their lives by eating differently and exercising, also people who are willing to be supportive and be supported through the good and bad.
  • davidr730
    Options
    What I love about my eating lifestyle is I get variety. I eat pizza and pasta!. The key is smaller portions of pizza and have a salad with it. Salad has bulk and you can eat lots of it. Eat chicken and lean beef, but don't make the protein the focal point of the meal. Instead of a steak and a side salad, have a salad and a side of steak. Nobody sticks to a diet that they feel like they are missing out on one of life's great pleasures; food. Enjoy eating but don't live to eat.

I changed my diet in February after having a heart attack at 43. I eat well, stay full, enjoy my food, The kicker is I've dropped an average of 2 lbs a week and got my cholesterol from 350 to 189. Happy and healthy!
  • davidr730
    Options
    Anyone who is interested in safe consistent weight loss is welcome to friend me. If you're one of those people who think eating below your BMR is safe and extreme weight loss is sustainable then I'm not really going to be a great friend for you. I get all of my advice from my MD. a nutritionist, and the Mayo Clinic. I'm always looking to make friends to support and to be supported.

I don't think I am the ultimate source for advice, nor am I offering to be anybodies nutritionist. My formal nutritional education is limited. All I'm saying is be careful of what you accept as fact. I like to get my advise from reliable sources instead of anonymous web posts. :)
  • davidr730
    Options
    I don't think I am the ultimate source for advice, nor am I offering to be anybodies nutritionist. My formal nutritional education is limited. All I'm saying is be careful of what you accept as fact. I like to get my advise from reliable sources instead of anonymous web posts. :)

If you're going to say "don't take advice from anyone here" it is in fact disingenuous of you to offer your own because you have "limited formal experience."
    I'm not really sure why I'm still addressing this but perhaps you should re-read my post. I said "there is great advice and not so great advise". What part of that do you disagree with? Do you really think all of the advise here is good? Have you ever read anything that you might consider dangerous? All I'm saying to the new comers is to be careful and not to take advice from every person who might have read an Internet article. I never offered myself for advise. I offered to be friends with people who want to lose weight without the "extreme" diets. Why are you so offended by that?
  • davidr730
    Options
    I'm not really sure why I'm still addressing this but perhaps you should re-read my post. I said "there is great advice and not so great advise". What part of that do you disagree with? Do you really think all of the advise here is good? Have you ever read anything that you might consider dangerous? All I'm saying to the new comers is to be careful and not to take advice from every person who might have read an Internet article. I never offered myself for advise. I offered to be friends with people who want to lose weight without the "extreme" diets. Why are you so offended by that?

1) I am not offended, I am pointing out your hypocrisy. AND sustaining insults in the meantime. I did not insult you, and I still had some random third party decide to "put me in my place" with her sexist comment.

2) You are not QUALIFIED to say what an unhealthy diet looks like. The fact that you warned the users of this site not to trust any of the information posted here and then chimed in about "unhealthy" dieters shows that you are a hypocrite and you offer ill-informed advice. Just like the people you purport to warn us about.
    I noticed you didn't answer any of my questions. Does that mean you think all of the advice here is good, safe advice? How am I a hypocrite for saying be careful. I never told people "not to trust any of the information posted here". On the contrary, I said there is both good and bad advice. I never claimed to be anything other than concerned that individuals desperate to lose weight should be careful. You seemed very bothered by that.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify - make sure you are consulting with a Registered Dietitian, not someone who calls him or herself a nutritionist. To say you are a "nutritionist" requires no credentials.
  • davidr730
    Options
    Just to clarify - make sure you are consulting with a Registered Dietitian, not someone who calls him or herself a nutritionist. To say you are a "nutritionist" requires no credentials.
    Great point.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

^^^ this
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    So true....
    The other day some yoyo was saying we should all cut back on our fruit intake to reduce sugar...lol
    Wow....
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work
    And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies
    Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I am having my cards printed up tomorrow...lol
    Bobby Clerici
    Nutritionist / Bail Bondsman