Goals and Wishes

Options
When you have been with MFP as long as I have (just over 2 years now), you tend to see a lot of, shall we say, interesting concepts. One of the themes on here are the goals people lay out for themselves. I wanted to touch on that idea, maybe impart a bit of wisdom to some of the more controversial goals out there.

First lets look at what a goal should be. There's a difference between a goal and a wish. Wishes tend to be unrealistic, open ended, and unspecific. For example a wish could be "I'd like to fit into a size 2 jeans and have 12% body fat". Besides probably being unrealistic, this statement has no timeline, and doesn't include a strategy to reach the endpoint. A good example of a goal would be something like this: "I would like to lose 20 lbs in the next 3 months by doing 60 minutes of moderate to hard cardio 3 days a week and weight training with free weights and the cable machine for 45 minutes 2 days a week. I would set a sliding scale calorie deficit starting at 750 calories a day and dropping by 50 calories every 2 weeks ending up at a 450 calorie deficit."

The difference is huge. Having attainable, reachable goals is something we can all shoot for.

Here are the important componants to a well thought out goal.

1. A specific end point. We can always create a new goal once a goal is achieved, but having a goal that you can't reach is a good way to feel defeated.

2. Closed ended statements. Goals should leave no doubt as to where you would like to be. Saying you want 12% body fat just opens up an additional host of questions (how, why, when, can I do it...etc).

3. Attainable and/or realistic. Having goals that you can't achieve is not going to help, frustration, and depression can follow quite quickly. On the other end of the spectrum, having extremely simple goals can lead to boredum and you can lose interest as well.

4. Strategy. You need to map out how you will achieve that goal. Having objectives helps. Putting in markers or "waypoints" along the way can help, but keep in mind, these waypoints need to be flexible enough not to discourage you if you don't meet one.

So why don't you guys state some goals, maybe myself, or another MFP member here can help you adjust and tweak them.

I'll start:

As a baseball player, my goal is to increase my Maximal relative VO2 uptake by 5% over the next 3 months (March 15th 2010) by performing high intensity aerobic workouts for 25 to 45 minutes 3 days a week using a combination of tabata protocol and HIIT training. I will take measurements every 2 weeks using the 1 mile sub-maximal VO2 max waliking test outlined in my ACE fitness training manual. Currently my VO2 Max is 50, I would like to reach at least 53 .

NOTE that this is not my only goal, but it is one specific goal. Notice that I put in an end point, leave no questions to be answered about my goal, I know what to test to reach that goal as well as how to do so. This goal, based on my past performance is quite attainable for me. And I outlined a basic strategy that I will use to reach that goal.

What I don't need to put in the specific goal is the exact routines I'll use, the exact objectives I'll need during each waypoint, or when during the week I'll work out. These are all details that are specific enough that I should be able to adjust them as needed to fit into my lifestyle. So you see, your goal need be neither all encompassing, nor wildly optimistic. And it is perfectly fine to have multiple goals, as long as one doesn't detract from, or prohibit another. I.E. having one goal to lose 20 lbs and another goal to gain 10% muscle mass would be counter to each other and in almost all cases one cannot be achieved while attempting the other.

OK so now I have my goal set, what about you?

Replies

• ducky5m48
    ducky5m48 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ok so i would like to set a goal for myself that by march 2010 i will be down 25 lbs. is that attainable? i will do so by working out at least 20 minutes a day 4 days a week. And my workouts will include an elliptical, jogging, hot body bootcamp workout dvd, and a couple other workout regimines i have found that i really like.

so is this goal specific enough and reachable enough? i'm not very good at setting up these kind of goals so i would defntly like some help.

o and i don't know if this is relevant but i have already lost 32 lbs 13 before i joined mfp and 19 since i joined.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    ok so i would like to set a goal for myself that by march 2010 i will be down 25 lbs. is that attainable? i will do so by working out at least 20 minutes a day 4 days a week. And my workouts will include an elliptical, jogging, hot body bootcamp workout dvd, and a couple other workout regimines i have found that i really like.

so is this goal specific enough and reachable enough? i'm not very good at setting up these kind of goals so i would defntly like some help.

o and i don't know if this is relevant but i have already lost 32 lbs 13 before i joined mfp and 19 since i joined.

Whether it's attainable or not is really something that you have to decide. I'll say that for most, 25 lbs in 3 months is very aggressive (that's just about 2 lbs a week), and probably not attainable for someone who is not obese (this depends a lot on your dedication level to diet, and the amount/time of exercise you are willing to perform every week). Something to factor in is the holidays. If you like to go out and/or go to parties that will have food and drink that you'll partake in, then you must factor that in. One thing to keep in mind, when your goals include weight loss, you MUST have a diet strategy as well, as 80 to 90% of weight loss usually revolves around diet, not exercise. Not that exercise isn't important, but it's more of a secondary mover for weight loss for most people.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    bumping because this left recent posts rather fast! :tongue:
  • HeatherBurke
    Options
    My problem is that I have a "goal" but I'm not quite sure how to attain that to where it is less of a dream I guess... I want to lose about 20 pounds and/or fit into my size 10 jeans again by the beginning of May...I am in a tight 12/ 14 now....

I am 5'2".... about 166 pounds right now.... I am 21 years old... have a fulltime desk job and a second part time cleaning job... When I fit into my clothes before I weighed between 140 and 145 so I figure 20 pounds would be good.. ultimately I would like to get to 135 and then just really tone up and maintain.

I am going on a week long vacation to New Mexico for Christmas to visit family and am going to try my best to eat as well as possible while still enjoying myself and start going back to the gym while I'm there so I'm at least doing a little bit of good... I just don't know exactly what I should do after I get back home from vacation to really hit it hard and get as close to my goal as possible...

Any help would be nice... suggestions Banks??
  • ducky5m48
    ducky5m48 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    well you are probably right end of april is probably more attainanble. i guess i'll have to get online and research and try to find some good meals to incorporate in my food. but i don't consider what im doing dieting b/c i always fail at diets and i don't want to fail this so i am changing my eating habits altogether.

thnks for the advice though.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Goals

1) To run a marathon in October 2010. I will be working out 6 days a week with a rest day. Until April I will run 3-5 miles 4 days a week and crosstrain the other two. In April I will follow a marathon training plan for beginners.

Now I am having a hard time with my goal weight. I have it on my profile as 130 lbs. I am 141 right now. I got up to 150 and am down to 141. I would like to be at 130 eventaully but I havn't been since jr. year of high school.

2) I have a goal to loose 2 lbs a month until I am at a weight where I feel most healthy and comfortable (between 130 and 135 I think). I will do this by keep up my work outs with my training plan, cutting out most of the alcohal, cutting out soda, and watching my portion sizes.

Any suggestions?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    My problem is that I have a "goal" but I'm not quite sure how to attain that to where it is less of a dream I guess... I want to lose about 20 pounds and/or fit into my size 10 jeans again by the beginning of May...I am in a tight 12/ 14 now....

I am 5'2".... about 166 pounds right now.... I am 21 years old... have a fulltime desk job and a second part time cleaning job... When I fit into my clothes before I weighed between 140 and 145 so I figure 20 pounds would be good.. ultimately I would like to get to 135 and then just really tone up and maintain.

I am going on a week long vacation to New Mexico for Christmas to visit family and am going to try my best to eat as well as possible while still enjoying myself and start going back to the gym while I'm there so I'm at least doing a little bit of good... I just don't know exactly what I should do after I get back home from vacation to really hit it hard and get as close to my goal as possible...

Any help would be nice... suggestions Banks??

so you do have most of the main aspects of a good goal nestled into that reply, so lets try to flesh them out and make it nice and organized so you can provide a clear strategy to get there.

so your goal is (lets call it) May 1st to be 20 lbs lighter. I would steer clear of the clothing sizes as they can be all over the map, and really, what worked 5 or 10 or 20 years ago may not work now as our bodies change as we age. So lets say you put specifics on how often you work out, how long for each workout, and what type and intensity you do for each workout (by type I mean, cardio, plyometrics, weight training...etc). Remember to make them realistic. Also try to lay out a reasonable diet strategy that will allow you to achieve that goal, so may is about 22 weeks away, so just under 1 lb a week would work, although you should take into account the fact that as you get closer to goal, it will be harder to lose, so usually a sliding scale offers better results (I.E. start with 650 cals per day deficit, then every month or so move it down 50 cals so that by April you're 450 cals a day deficit as an example).

Now, I'm not going to write up your goal for you, but now you have all the pertenant facts, go back to the original post and reread the examples, you should be able to formulate a good goal statement based on that. Feel free to put in waypoints like by February 15th I plan to be 10 lbs lighter...etc.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Goals

1) To run a marathon in October 2010. I will be working out 6 days a week with a rest day. Until April I will run 3-5 miles 4 days a week and crosstrain the other two. In April I will follow a marathon training plan for beginners.

Now I am having a hard time with my goal weight. I have it on my profile as 130 lbs. I am 141 right now. I got up to 150 and am down to 141. I would like to be at 130 eventaully but I havn't been since jr. year of high school.

2) I have a goal to loose 2 lbs a month until I am at a weight where I feel most healthy and comfortable (between 130 and 135 I think). I will do this by keep up my work outs with my training plan, cutting out most of the alcohal, cutting out soda, and watching my portion sizes.

Any suggestions?

as to your marathon goal, it's good, my only suggestion is that for a goal so far away, you should put specific waypoints in there, so you don't lose sight of the end goal. For some that's more of a problem for others. Although the marathon program might already have objectives built in, if it does, then disregard that statement.

for your weight loss goal, a weight loss goal should definitely have a calorie plan with it IMHO. Without one, people tend to stray (not all, but most). Even if you don't track calories, you should know how many calories is right for that goal, and periodically you should enter a daily calorie amount just to make sure you are close to on track (maybe every couple of weeks). Also, the endpoint is weak "until I am at a weight where I feel most healthy and comfortable"
    while this is a great hope, having something measurable at the end will give you a sense of accomplishment and allow you to feel good about setting new goals once you reach this one. I.E. instead of your statement, I would write something like "until my body fat % is 20 and my weight is <XX> lbs lower. Remember, this doesn't have to be where you stop, but it can be because it's a goal.

and it's perfectly fine to go back and revise a goal if you start and then feel it's unattainable.
  • HeatherBurke
    Options
    [/quote]
    So lets say you put specifics on how often you work out, how long for each workout, and what type and intensity you do for each workout (by type I mean, cardio, plyometrics, weight training...etc). Remember to make them realistic. Also try to lay out a reasonable diet strategy that will allow you to achieve that goal, so may is about 22 weeks away, so just under 1 lb a week would work, although you should take into account the fact that as you get closer to goal, it will be harder to lose, so usually a sliding scale offers better results (I.E. start with 650 cals per day deficit, then every month or so move it down 50 cals so that by April you're 450 cals a day deficit as an example).
    [/quote]

I think that I'm not quite sure what kind of exercises to do... I know I need to do cardio but what kind and how long?? I love the elliptical and think Im getting one for Christmas so that will be a big help.. I can start doing 30 minutes a day or 30 minutes in the morning and 30 in the evening but besides that I am kind of clueless.. I know how to do some free weights for arms, back, etc but the cardio and not letting my body get too used to one certain kind is where I am kinda lost?? Also what are plyometrics??

What is the reasoning for doing a sliding scale with the calories? Im really trying to get a handle on this as well as possible so I dont set myself up for failure

If i were to maintain my current weight, according to MFP I should eat 1840 calories/ day... so a 600 calorie deficit would be 1240. Sound good to start with then every month go down by 50?? I think that's what you meant but I don't understand the reasoning
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

I think that I'm not quite sure what kind of exercises to do... I know I need to do cardio but what kind and how long?? I love the elliptical and think Im getting one for Christmas so that will be a big help.. I can start doing 30 minutes a day or 30 minutes in the morning and 30 in the evening but besides that I am kind of clueless.. I know how to do some free weights for arms, back, etc but the cardio and not letting my body get too used to one certain kind is where I am kinda lost?? Also what are plyometrics??

What is the reasoning for doing a sliding scale with the calories? Im really trying to get a handle on this as well as possible so I dont set myself up for failure

Hehe, ok lets do one at a time then. 30 minutes or 60 or what ever is fine, muscle conditioning really takes months to set in so I wouldn't worry about that too much. A good idea would be to look at the RPE scale (Rate of Perceived Exertion) and try to do around 5 to 7 (if you are doing 30 minutes) or 3 to 6 (if you are doing 1 hour). Here's an RPE scale for you to reference, but you can google RPE scale and you'll get plenty of examples
    http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/exercise/rpe.aspx

Don't worry about plyometrics for now, that was just an example type (you can google plyometrics if you want to know, they are awesome, but really it's not vital to know what they are). Any type of cardio is good cardio, there are lots of dvd's out there that would be fine (or if you have on demand on your cable you probably have on demand routines like 30 day shred)

Sliding scale is because as our bodies become closer to the "ideal" measurements, it becomes more difficult to lose weight, so you don't want to set a goal based on a calorie deficit that works when you are overweight. I.E. if you want to lose 30 lbs, but at the end of the 30 lbs you are very healthy, then trying to lose 2 lbs per week probably won't work at all at the end, so you set your goals based on maybe being able to lose 2 lbs a week for the first 5 weeks, then 1.5 lbs a week for the next 4 weeks, then 1 lb a week for then next4 weeks, then 1/2 a lb per week for the next 20 weeks. That's just an off the top of my head example, but it's accurate.
  • HeatherBurke
    Options

Hehe, ok lets do one at a time then. 30 minutes or 60 or what ever is fine, muscle conditioning really takes months to set in so I wouldn't worry about that too much. A good idea would be to look at the RPE scale (Rate of Perceived Exertion) and try to do around 5 to 7 (if you are doing 30 minutes) or 3 to 6 (if you are doing 1 hour). Here's an RPE scale for you to reference, but you can google RPE scale and you'll get plenty of examples
    http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/exercise/rpe.aspx

Don't worry about plyometrics for now, that was just an example type (you can google plyometrics if you want to know, they are awesome, but really it's not vital to know what they are). Any type of cardio is good cardio, there are lots of dvd's out there that would be fine (or if you have on demand on your cable you probably have on demand routines like 30 day shred)

Sliding scale is because as our bodies become closer to the "ideal" measurements, it becomes more difficult to lose weight, so you don't want to set a goal based on a calorie deficit that works when you are overweight. I.E. if you want to lose 30 lbs, but at the end of the 30 lbs you are very healthy, then trying to lose 2 lbs per week probably won't work at all at the end, so you set your goals based on maybe being able to lose 2 lbs a week for the first 5 weeks, then 1.5 lbs a week for the next 4 weeks, then 1 lb a week for then next4 weeks, then 1/2 a lb per week for the next 20 weeks. That's just an off the top of my head example, but it's accurate.

Ok.... I think the whole sliding scale thing is finally starting to click!! So the calorie stuff is making more sense... I am getting a food scale to really help that and stop over or under estimating my food...

Next is just the exercising and what exactly to do... I read something somewhere that said after weight training the recovery period is between 24 and 48 hours and that is the optimal time to do cardio... so would you suggest just say for example starting on Monday I was to do an extra 30 minutes of cardio on top of the already 30 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday and do light to moderate weight training on the opposite days or vise versa... Would that help to optomize my weight loss/ healthy body life style?? None of this may make any sense in writing sorry... It makes sense in my head Im just kind of scatter brained right now. I'm not really only trying to lose weight but tone up and get a much healthier body at the same time....
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    Just thought I'd share what I'm working on right now. The more you talk about your goals, the more accoutnable you become, and I welcome any feedback, and always appreciate the support of experienced MFPers who have had so much success. My overall goal is twofold-- to participate in my first Triathalon in September of 2010, and to reach my goal weight of 165 (Top of the "healthy" weight scale for my BMI) by my 34th Birthday March 15th, 2011.

Some stats about me:

I'm 5'9", 32 years old, currently weigh between 253-255 depending on the day. I severely broke my ankle in March 2008, resulting in surgery and 16 weeks of non-weight baring on my left ankle. Prior to my ankle injury I was working hard to lose weight, had lost approx. 40 lbs over six months, and was maintaining a regular cardio/weight training program.

Over the last year I have had some personal and professional challenges that have affected my weight loss, and I have never really returned to my pre-injury weight or continued my progress, though I have worked hard enough to rehab my ankle fairly successfully. I have yo-yoed, weight wise between 238-258 in the last six months.

So here's my breakdown of my goal. Because I am quite overweight, my first two weight goals may seem aggressive, but I don't think they are out of the range of reality, considering I have so much initial weight to lose.

March 15th, 2010 I will reach a a goal weight of 220-225
    May 31st, 2010 I will reach a goal weight of 200-205
    August 15th I will reach goal weight of 180-185
    September 18th I will participate in the Kokopelli Triathalon, doing at least the sprint level (750M swim, 12 mile bike ride, 5k Run)
    March 15th 2011 I will reach my goal weight of 165 lbs.

I will maintain a calorie deficit that allows me to loose at a rate of 2-2.5 lbs of weight per week, re-evaluating regularly as my weight loss changes the way my body is metabolizing. I will maintain a balance of 35% Carbs 40% protein 25% healthy fats. I will eliminate most processed sugar,severely limit fast food, limit my intake of fruit to whole fruits, monitor my alcohol intake to allow for moderate drinking on a few special occasions, and maintain a mostly clean diet of whole foods, lean protein, and whole grains.

I will reach the above weight goals by supplementing my healthy dietary changes with doing 60 minutes of cardio training 3-4 days a week. I will also strengthen and build lean muscle with strength training workouts three days a week. I will vary my cardio between the bike, elliptical, and treadmill, slowly increasing my endurance on the treadmill. I am starting with a baseline of a 17 minute mile on the treadmill. My goal is to reduce that time to at least 12 minutes by May 1st.

In May I will begin a triathalon training program for beginners, and use this as my main workout regime, supplemented with light strength training, through the race in September.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Ok.... I think the whole sliding scale thing is finally starting to click!! So the calorie stuff is making more sense... I am getting a food scale to really help that and stop over or under estimating my food...

Next is just the exercising and what exactly to do... I read something somewhere that said after weight training the recovery period is between 24 and 48 hours and that is the optimal time to do cardio... so would you suggest just say for example starting on Monday I was to do an extra 30 minutes of cardio on top of the already 30 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday and do light to moderate weight training on the opposite days or vise versa... Would that help to optomize my weight loss/ healthy body life style?? None of this may make any sense in writing sorry... It makes sense in my head Im just kind of scatter brained right now. I'm not really only trying to lose weight but tone up and get a much healthier body at the same time....

I don't believe in light weight training, weight training should be either lower weight higher reps to failure, or high weight lower reps to failure IMHO. But that's besides the point, days off mean days off, the only exception to that is, if you are working your upper body for weight training, then it should be ok to do cardio (assuming it's mostly lower body work, like running, elliptical...etc) the next day. How MUCH you do is entirely up to you, 30 minutes is perfectly acceptable if 30 minutes is hard for you, I'm a big advocate of working hard for as long as you can, whether that's 30 minutes or 2 hours, so be it. I.E. I'm not a huge fan of moderate cardio, either go light or go heavy, and if you go light, usually (barring some medical condition) that usually means go long. These are all opinions you understand, there are lots of strategies out there, but I usually tell people, put forth your maximum effort for as long as you can and you'll see good results.
  • HeatherBurke
    Options

I don't believe in light weight training, weight training should be either lower weight higher reps to failure, or high weight lower reps to failure IMHO. But that's besides the point, days off mean days off, the only exception to that is, if you are working your upper body for weight training, then it should be ok to do cardio (assuming it's mostly lower body work, like running, elliptical...etc) the next day. How MUCH you do is entirely up to you, 30 minutes is perfectly acceptable if 30 minutes is hard for you, I'm a big advocate of working hard for as long as you can, whether that's 30 minutes or 2 hours, so be it. I.E. I'm not a huge fan of moderate cardio, either go light or go heavy, and if you go light, usually (barring some medical condition) that usually means go long. These are all opinions you understand, there are lots of strategies out there, but I usually tell people, put forth your maximum effort for as long as you can and you'll see good results.

Is this correct: Lower weight/ higher reps to failure will tone what muscle you have and higher weight/lower reps builds muscle???
  • bortass
    bortass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Goals... Hmmmm

My goal is to finish my second round of P90X in 89 days. I don't have any smaller targets that are specific yet. I just don't know how I'll react this time around. Last time I lost 30 lbs and dropped a couple sizes in shirts and pants. That was earlier this year though.

I set myself back by using a shoulder injury as an excuse not to do anything. So i gained it all back then some.

I know I'll get in better shape and will lose some weight but no idea how much. there's a chance the scale won't move as much as I replace blubber with muscle. So i'm leery of saying i want to weigh XXX in 3 months.
  • bortass
    bortass Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Is this correct: Lower weight/ higher reps to failure will tone what muscle you have and higher weight/lower reps builds muscle???

Yes it is.
  • HeatherBurke
    Options
    So for a woman just trying to get lean arms, some definition in the abs, lean shoulders, thighs etc the best to do would be lower weight/higher reps right?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    chellebelle315, I think those are great goals, well stated, and closed ended. I have 2 comments. the first is that a few of those goals (specifically that August 15th goal) might be a bit more than one would expect, but not wildly so, 20 lbs in 10 weeks is tough once you get into that range, not to say you won't but maybe be slightly less aggressive with that one as you'll be training for a triathlon then, and you'll need more energy while training, which means a big deficit would be a deterent.

the other comment would be that last goal. I would probably drop that one for now, and revisit it once you've finished your triathlon. Having multiple goals is great, but no need to go that far out, it's really too far to make accurate predictions about whether you'll be able to accomplish it (especially with all those other goals going on.)

But really, those are very small points, overall that's some good goals if I do say.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in light weight training, weight training should be either lower weight higher reps to failure, or high weight lower reps to failure IMHO.

I've heard conflicting opinions on whether lower weights, higher reps accomplish anything. My thoughts are- if you're working until you couldn't possibly do one more rep, it has to be doing something for your muscle. What do you think the difference in end results are between low weight, high reps and high weight, low reps? Mass vs. endurance?
    __

As for goals, I think they keep you accountable, which is a good thing, but for me, I find the disappointment of not reaching a mini-goal to be devastating to my psyche, so I stick with more general goals. My current goal is to have a better summer by being smaller and more fit. If I attach a number to that, and don't reach that number, it will mean disappointment for me. If I don't have a specific number, and I'm simply smaller and more fit by summer, then I've accomplished my goal. I would love to be able to set more specific goals and know I would have the dedication to commit myself and reach them, but I know myself well enough to know that the best I can do right now is to try to do better without specific limitations. Eventually I hope to be strong enough to set specific goals and work to attain them. I have so many issues surrounding this whole weight/ food thing. I have to try to get them in order one by one. I guess my first goal would be to overcome this sweets addiction, but even with that, I can't be too specific.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    So for a woman just trying to get lean arms, some definition in the abs, lean shoulders, thighs etc the best to do would be lower weight/higher reps right?

essentially that is correct, except for abs. Abs (and really all your core) are a different beast. I could talk for hours about why they are different from other voluntary (well, partially) muscles. OK maybe not hours, but AN hour at least.