Back fatttttt. eeek.

Options

Replies

• clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    How can you say the muscle isn't metabolically active? Show me a peer reviewed journal saying the muscle isn't metabolically active. How can people that do compound lifts that work more than one muscle at a time have less body fat on them then people that don't?
    keep in mind - he didn't say that they aren't metabolically active or that workouts do nothing - just not much

Correct. People with very low bodyfat simply lose the fat.

This is a crude analogy, but very emaciated and wasted people have very little fat, but also very little muscle.

There are methods to lose body-fat and keep muscle.

Google Intermittent Fasting and Ketogenic Diet. Combine those and very low fat body percentages are attainable.

Really? People with low body fat simply lose the fat?

* listen to taso. :smile:

I didn't say they "simply" lose the fat. I said there are ways to do it and a great many do it all the time. It's no secret. It can be done without weight lifting with the right knowledge.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Didn't OP say she wanted to strengthen those muscles? Why did it immediately turn into a "you can't spot reduce fat" discussion?

Or am *I* the one being dense and everyone else figured out what she *meant* to say was that she wanted to lose fat in that area?

Because my answer for strengthening the back muscles (and pretty much all of the other muscles) would be deadlifts, rows, and squats (in conjunction with OHP and bench).
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Didn't OP say she wanted to strengthen those muscles? Why did it immediately turn into a "you can't spot reduce fat" discussion?

Or am *I* the one being dense and everyone else figured out what she *meant* to say was that she wanted to lose fat in that area?

Because my answer for strengthening the back muscles (and pretty much all of the other muscles) would be deadlifts, rows, and squats (in conjunction with OHP and bench).

the thread title is "Back fatttttt. eeek."
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Genie bra. problem solved.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Exercise does little to promote fat loss. Being in a deficit will. Carb control is important to control insulin. (the fat storage hormone)

Fat loss is diet.

Exercise and specifically strength training causes postive hormonal responses that aid in fat loss and help to maintain deficit. Also, insulin is a critical hormone for regulating blood sugar. It's is not for storing fat. How would you account for the fact that protein also spikes insulin. Some attached reading for your enjoyment.
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

FTR, I am an advocate of being judicious with carbs for craving control and blood sugar stability.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Exercise does little to promote fat loss. Being in a deficit will. Carb control is important to control insulin. (the fat storage hormone)

Fat loss is diet.
    pretty much this

Exercise promotes healthy muscles which are needed to aide in healthy weight loss.

Muscle is not very metabolically active. Building muscle in a deficit is very limited.

The aim generally is to preserve LBM as much as possible. Strength training is one of the things that will mitigate LBM loss while eating at a deficit. The actual act of exercising can create a deficit. Win/win imo.
  • reshapemariah21
    reshapemariah21 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Chalean Johnsons "Chalean Extreme" and "Turbofire" really got my back fat BLASTED.. I know it's not COMPLETELY gone but you look small so I'm sure yours isn't as massive as mine once was lol.. But here's a look at what happened with those programs. I'm sure it's changed more in the last month but I don't have a picture of it yet.

marchapriljune-1.jpg
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    HIIT w/kettlebells.

I may have pictures on my profile.
    From my blog

start sept 2009 second photo dec 2009
    12-29-09+back_SEPT-DEC.jpg

I need to have current photos done.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Looking at it from a different perspective.. do you have the right size bra??

I still have some after 84lbs lost, so hopefully with some more weight loss it will improve, but once I got new bras it helped ALOT... so maybe both things to consider (weight loss and bras)
  • clobercow
    Options

Fat loss is diet.

Exercise and specifically strength training causes postive hormonal responses that aid in fat loss and help to maintain deficit. Also, insulin is a critical hormone for regulating blood sugar. It's is not for storing fat. How would you account for the fact that protein also spikes insulin. Some attached reading for your enjoyment.

FTR, I am an advocate of being judicious with carbs for craving control and blood sugar stability.

I did not say anything about protein. Are you assuming I advocate a high protein diet? I don't.

I eat a 75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carb diet. Packing in additional carbs only forces the issue with insulin. A high protein does does stimulate an insulin response.

Insulin does take that excess glucose that can not be received by organs and muscle and stores it as fat. This is how it keeps the glucose from reaching toxic levels.

We need between 0.1 to 0.3 grams of protein per lean pound of body fat to maintain muscle.

The article you listed is for a high protein diet. It's relevant based on your assumptions, but not relevant based on the advice I gave.

I also fast daily to keep my insulin at minimal levels to lose fat.
  • Lay821
    Lay821 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I know that I need cardio - got that - but what are some good exercises to strengthen the muscles in your back? Seems that one of my problem areas (probably like most women) is the area right under where the bra is.....

any help is appreciated! thanks!

I heard Pull ups help alot.....Im going to try that myself
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I know that I need cardio - got that - but what are some good exercises to strengthen the muscles in your back? Seems that one of my problem areas (probably like most women) is the area right under where the bra is.....

any help is appreciated! thanks!

I heard Pull ups help alot.....Im going to try that myself

Pull ups are very good for working your back muscles.
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    We need between 0.1 to 0.3 grams of protein per lean pound of body fat to maintain muscle.

More like .8 grams per lb. of lean mass minimum. Even more if you're in a deficit or not eating many carbs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Fat loss is diet.

I did not say anything about protein. Are you assuming I advocate a high protein diet? I don't.

I eat a 75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carb diet. Packing in additional carbs only forces the issue with insulin. A high protein does does stimulate an insulin response.

Insulin does take that excess glucose that can not be received by organs and muscle and stores it as fat. This is how it keeps the glucose from reaching toxic levels.

The article you listed is for a high protein diet. It's relevant based on your assumptions, but not relevant based on the advice I gave.

I also fast daily to keep my insulin at minimal levels to lose fat.

Wow...just wow.
  • clobercow
    Options

More like .8 grams per lb. of lean mass minimum. Even more if you're in a deficit or not eating many carbs.

Proof? I'll be happy to take a look.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have a good deal of back fat, too, and I also despise it. But when you lose weight, it will come off all over your body, including your back. I would suggest upping your cardio sessions and do interval training during them.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

You are right, and helpful. :)
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I love assisted pull-ups and bent-over rows...and the conrarption you do kind of like upside down sit-ups on(sorry, dont know the name) but its great for the lower back...
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    How can you say the muscle isn't metabolically active? Show me a peer reviewed journal saying the muscle isn't metabolically active. How can people that do compound lifts that work more than one muscle at a time have less body fat on them then people that don't?
    keep in mind - he didn't say that they aren't metabolically active or that workouts do nothing - just not much

This is a crude analogy, but very emaciated and wasted people have very little fat, but also very little muscle.

Google Intermittent Fasting and Ketogenic Diet. Combine those and very low fat body percentages are attainable.

I didn't say they "simply" lose the fat. I said there are ways to do it and a great many do it all the time. It's no secret. It can be done without weight lifting with the right knowledge.

yes, you said exactly that. I quoted you. ?
  • clobercow
    Options

yes, you said exactly that. I quoted you. ?

Multiple meanings. What I said can be interpreted in different ways. Do you wish to argue over semantics? Or do you want to discuss the actual information?

Edit: If anyone wants to discuss this further, feel free to PM me. I'm going to bed.