Why does my chicken breast come out dry

Options

Replies

• Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Sautee in a pan with some chicken broth(low fat/low sodium), salt and pepper. Cook til almost done(just a hint of pink in the center). Set the meat aside for 10 min covered to rest. I got this from Giada De Laurentis on TV.

It is simple and comes out moist and amazingly flavorful.

This is how I make mine, but I use Extra virgin Olive oil. I've been cooking for 40 years.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Overcooked
  • babsbrack
    babsbrack Posts: 20
    Options
    i find that if i season the chicken and make a pocket out of tin foil, put it in there, seal it up by folding all the sides together and the steam cooks it until i open the tinfoil to brown it a little. i do the same for any small meat portions of meat that i want to cook in the oven, it really prevents them from going dry without using oil etc
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Get a Jaccard Meat Tenderizer. Best purchase ever. I bought it for grassfed steak, but now I use it on every kind of meat. Everything comes out so tender. Amazon has a good price on them.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    what time/temp are you cooking at? 350 ~20 mins works like a charm for me. So lowering your temp probably isn't needed, it's your cook time.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Lowering temperature is probably the worst thing you can do. A 25 degree change in oven temperature can equate to a 30 minute difference in cooking time, depending on what your cooking.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Bumping for ideas!!
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I marinate mine because I had same problem.
  • ASDavis72
    ASDavis72 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure what temperature you’re cooking at but you should try cooking it at 375, squeezing lemon juice on it or cooking it with a lemon should help to make it tender and juicy.
  • coffeebrown5
    coffeebrown5 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Do you cover it and also keep basing it (pouring the juice that it makes over it). Maybe cook it about 35 minutes on 300.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    1) Because it is skinless and boneless. Both help retain moisture
    2) If it is skinless and boneless marinate it first
    3) Don't overcook it. Grilling is faster and better imho
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    I usually pan-sear my chicken in a little olive oil (I actually discovered that by accident. I was cooking chicken for myself and had an extra breast that I couldn't re-freeze. I sauteed it up for my dog, and tried a bite while waiting for it to cool down. Yum!), but when I do it in the oven, I usually bread it before baking it. You could try dipping it in milk or egg and rolling it in breadcrumbs or cornmeal. Ifyou have low-fat mayo, try spreading a bit on the chicken and then rolling in breadcrumbs. That is the only way I've found to keep porkchops moist in the oven. The only time I did it with chicken I pan-seared it, but I don't see why the principle can't be extended to oven cooking.

And check on it frequently. It should be completely white in the middle and not pink, but it shouldn't be so dry that juices don't run out of it (and by the way, those juices should be clear, and not pink). If you're like me and don't have a meat thermometer, they're handy things to know. :P
  • ctwm84
    ctwm84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I cook it in a pyrex glass dish with just about an inch of water and cover it w tin foil. I bake it at 350 degrees for an hour. The water keeps the chicken moist and the tin foil on top keeps all the moisture in.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    A tip someone told me that he learned from Rachel Ray shows is that chicken should sit at room temp for 30 minutes before cooking. The shock of heat on really cold meat can make it tougher and drier.

marinate it in olive oil and vinegar dressing and it comes out SOOOO juicy.
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    What I do is cook it on a skillet, pretty much sear my chicken breast like a steak, then throw in in the oven for a few minutes, and it seriously gets juicy.

This!

In a cast-iron frying pan (which can go in the oven), but I cover about 1-2 inches of the bottom of the pan with some chicken stock, then put it under the grill to finish cooking - it sort of poaches it. Then I rest the chicken breast, covered in foil, while I reduce the stock back on the stovetop, with some herbs and mustard in it, to make a jus.
  • AmandaDutra
    Options
    Soaking it in lemon juice for a while before you cook it will also help it to stay moist, then add some thyme, salt, pepper and garlic and mmmm mmm! Cook at 350 for anywhere between 15-20min!
  • JimTriche
    JimTriche Posts: 2
    Options
    Get a thermometer, (from $5-$20 depending on fanciness/functionality) Chicken is done at around 160 degrees internally. Before you cut the chicken, let it rest for a few minutes, this allows the juices to incorporate back into the meat instead of running out when you cut it.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You can cook it in a covered dish or Dutch oven, which holds in the moisture. Also, a chicken breast with bone and skin will be a little tastier. You can take off the skin after cooking if you don't want the fat. I also buy the highest quality chicken possible, depending on my budget. I love Bell & Evans. The quality makes a big difference to me.

The crockpot is also a great idea.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I cube mine and cook it in a teflon pan or a cast iron pan and season with garlic salt. you can steam veggies and add it in or eat separately. :) if you want to cook it in the oven, wrap it in foil to keep the moisture in and season it before you cook it. :) hope that helps!
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I agree.....sear it quickly high temp on both sides on stove top and then bake 15 min at 350...check to make sure inside is cooked.