Options
13»

Replies

• Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    How's your fiber consumption?

Erm... I have no idea!

Just had a look - I've been on 'target' for about 50% of the past 90 days, under suggested for 40% and over for 10%...? x
  • Cal28
    Options
    Hey Cal
    I understand your problem. I didn't want a stall either. Month 1 I decreased my calories to 1300. Month 2 traded all the 100 cal snacks and "junk food" for fruits and veggies/ leaner cuts of meat, and no "fatty meats". Cut out white bread and rice and changed to whole grains. I also started eating 5-6 meals about 300 calories each. Month 3 Started exercising at gym and started back playing tennis. I uped my calories to my BMR -600 calories. Month 4 I cut out Coke Zero totally. I also started eating dinner by 6. I don't eat any more after that. I've lost 42 lbs and have like 30 more to go. I thought that changing it up a little each month wouldn't be hard for me and would help my weight loss and it has. My diary is open and I'd love to be your friend if you'd like. Good luck!
    Beth

Love how you took it step by step! :happy:
    Is Quiona better than white rice? I like it more than brown rice but will go with whatever is 'best'.
    I'd love to eat tea by 6pm but I'm either driving home (I'm usually at work/commuting 7am-6pm) or just about made it to the last gym class (there are none after 6!!)

Ooh I do have about 1 Pepsi Max/Diet drink a day - did you find that made a big difference? Would love to add, thanks x
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I just had a quick look. You definitely do eat a lot of sweets/chocolate/junk/bad foods lol. Whilst it's true that some people believe as long as you are in a caloric deficit you will lose weight, I read an article recently on those who DO have a deficit, thereby increasing a certain enzyme that stores any 'bad' or easy to grab calories such as sweets, and you get nowhere with it.

Do you take a mutivitamin and mineral supplement? You really don't eat nearly enough leafy greens/salads/healthy vegetables. And your protein is pretty low, thereby stopping you from building muscle, which in turns makes it easier to lose fat.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but I'm learning as much as I can and happy to pass on what I've seen suggested that has worked for me so far :heart:
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    How's your fiber consumption?

Erm... I have no idea!

Just had a look - I've been on 'target' for about 50% of the past 90 days, under suggested for 40% and over for 10%...? x

I'm not an expert, but I find I do much better when I'm over the MFP guideline on fiber. Other sources recommend more that MFP does. For instance, a common recommendation is 25/g per day for an average woman. At the 1,200 calorie minimum, MFP only recommends 14 g; I try for 20 (and don't always make it, but I do better when I'm close).
    I may have just missed it, but of all the "help, I'm at a plateau" postings I've seen, none of them were regularly eating at or over on fiber. Since you have the history... I suggest that you look at whether you lost better or more often on the days after you ate at or over the target.
    Try fiber and water to go with it. I don't know if it's the filling effect of the fiber and water. The fact that they help your body clear out other stuff. Or that it's hard to eat lots of fiber without eating more healthy foods.

Hope you find something that works for you!
  • Cal28
    Options
    And your protein is pretty low, thereby stopping you from building muscle, which in turns makes it easier to lose fat.

Low? I thought I was going over most days... :ohwell: What should I be aiming for?

No supplements - I'll up the veg & fruit :smile: x
  • Cal28
    Options
    Try fiber and water to go with it. I don't know if it's the filling effect of the fiber and water. The fact that they help your body clear out other stuff. Or that it's hard to eat lots of fiber without eating more healthy foods.

Hmm interesting...! I'll have an analyse!

Despite the growing embarrassment of my sugar addition :blushing: I'm really glad I started this thread (and that you all posted) as not only has it called me up on the junk (I never worried too much about it with being under calories) but given me some other good ideas too!!

Thanks so much x
  • Ayla70
    Options
    The PT at my gym recommends around 100 a day, and I've seen plenty of people on here agreeing with that. Protein is really really essential. It not only builds muscle, but it also keeps you satiated longer. I've also discovered by trial and error that when I eat a big protein meal before the gym, I have a bigger and better workout.

FIbre is really important too, as someone else suggested. And I also read a lady who posted on the link between potassium and sodium. We should be eating around 4.7 grams of potassium daily (VERY hard to do!), and your potassium should be up to 3 times the amount of your sodium intake.

Just remember that while we rely on the scales to help us along the way, water and waste weight account for quite a bit during the day.
  • Ayla70
    Options

Despite the growing embarrassment of my sugar addition :blushing: I'm really glad I started this thread (and that you all posted) as not only has it called me up on the junk (I never worried too much about it with being under calories) but given me some other good ideas too!!

Thanks so much x

You obviously have a sweet tooth :wink:

I've always loved chocolate and cakes and lollies and anything else sweet...but for some reason the only thing I crave is chips (crisps). However I have to share this...in Australia here, we get a fibre supplement called Benefibre. It's really REALLY good! I get the orange flavoured one, it is so delicious and so sweet! It seems to satisfy my sweet tooth, while giving me the benefit of a very safe non chemical boost of fibre.
  • Mamarose416
    Options
    I am having the same problem I lost 28 lbs and have stayed at the same weight for over a month, my coach said to eat a few hundred calories over for 2 days and switch my exercise routine even doin eqiptment in different directions can help.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options

REALLY struggle with quick lunches for work... some ideas would be great if you have any... :smile:

Pre-peeled egg whites
    Veg and hummus
    lettuce wraps
    good old sandwiches (good bread, protein filling)
    celery and peanut butter
    almonds and fruit

Good luck.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I also have a sweet tooth, especially for chocolate. The fiber and water helps me with that, but I still have some chocolate... usually something like one small piece of dark chocolate each day or about 5 dark chocolate covered almonds. It keeps me from feeling deprived or binging too much (at least most of the time :wink:).
  • LovelyNFit
    LovelyNFit Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Thanks so much x

TRUST ME we are not posting to embarrass you! we want to help you. I could eat chocolate and sweet pastry / donuts day & night !!! if I did not gain weight. I had a Nutella jar at home all the time. ITs not easy giving it up. I would love a chocolate bar every day.

When I started I thought ok I will have to give up ice cream / chocolate bars / chips and I am good ...NOPE...I was given a reality check that I had to give up everything that had sugar....You know what has sugar too AND I was SO SURPRISED...Fruits! watermelon, red grapes - I gave that up too - this is more temporary but ....I am a lower body fat so I have to reduce more then you. you can eat fruits.
  • LovelyNFit
    LovelyNFit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I read labels all the time....check for SUGAR (my weakness too) & sodium < another reason why I don't eat out. I cook everything. Cant have too much Sodium.
  • Ayla70
    Options

Thanks so much x

TRUST ME we are not posting to embarrass you! we want to help you. I could eat chocolate and sweet pastry / donuts day & night !!! if I did not gain weight. I had a Nutella jar at home all the time. ITs not easy giving it up. I would love a chocolate bar every day.

When I started I thought ok I will have to give up ice cream / chocolate bars / chips and I am good ...NOPE...I was given a reality check that I had to give up everything that had sugar....You know what has sugar too AND I was SO SURPRISED...Fruits! watermelon, red grapes - I gave that up too - this is more temporary but ....I am a lower body fat so I have to reduce more then you. you can eat fruits.

I have no idea why this happens, but if I eat anything like KFC, or chips, or the other night I had the tiniest piece of sticky date pudding...even if I have stayed within my allotted calories for the day, I STILL put on weight the next day. I am convinced there are good calories and bad calories, even without taking into the equation nutrition. The days I avoid anything bad, and eat only raw, unprocessed, 'clean' foods, I lose.

Also, I know I've already mentioned it, and I don't mean to get personal, but the thyroid replacement I take makes me extremely constipated (has done for 19 years). When I don't go to the toilet regularly, I also gain that weight. So if that's you too, try the benefibre, or another great natural fibre supplement.

All the best :flowerforyou:
  • imcatbear
    imcatbear Posts: 38
    Options
    How about making your own candied/caramelized nuts? Walnuts and almonds have a lot of nutritional value. You don't have to use all the sugar that is suggested in recipes. I find crunching helps with the general catharsis of emotional eating...
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I gained 12 lbw eating Nutella during the winter while going to the gym 6 times a wk. CLEAN food must be implemented. keep trying to substitute it.

What do you eat for breakfasts? Be good to hear some alternatives that will still keep me full. Thanks :smile:

Try a breakfast burrito - Made with scrambled egg whites, 20gms (optional) low fat cheese grated, light tortilla, salsa! Yum
    Try Uncle Tobys quick oats - Made with water - can mix in some low fat ricotta for extra protein
    Try a smoothie - Banana, 20gms oats, LF milk :)