Do you still feel "fat" mentally after a lot of weight loss?

Options

Replies

• theesfield
    theesfield Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That is so wierd.. I could have written the exact same post..word for word. I feel your pain!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i lost 40 lbs two years ago. Yes, I still feel fat. My skinny friends will offer to let me wear their clothes and I'll always say "i don't think it'll fit." It always does. But I see a tub of lard when I look at myself.

On the other hand, sometimes I am aware that I am "skinny" now too. And I'll be all proud of my body- like lying in a bikini on the beach.

It's weird.
  • MsTaurus30
    MsTaurus30 Posts: 55
    Options
    Absolutely! I've lost bout 25 pounds and still feel the same. My hubby tells me i look so much smaller but i still can't see the difference yet ...but when i go shopping for cloths and i always try to try on a size smaller pair of Jeans and to my surprise they actually fit ....but yeah i totally feel you on that.
  • kindred_fawn
    kindred_fawn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yep, One time I went shopping at a plus size store. I couldn't fit anything it was confusing because to me, I still looked fat.

Ive always had problems with people telling me im either too skinny or too big so I kind of lost perspective. When I was size 6, people said I was anorexic. When I was fitting size 10 people would say "youve put on the beef". Now I am size 12 and I feel enormous still!

So now I just measure myself, if the measurements are going down, then I know I am losing weight even though I see fat in the mirror.
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    Absolutely...
  • AndreaPool
    AndreaPool Posts: 45
    Options
    Just got back from shopping and noticed that I have that exact problem: I still tend to look at the bigger sizes and have to constantly remind myself that those will be too big for me...
    I've lost around 25-30lbs now (not sure exactly, because I only weigh once a month and am due for a weigh in tomorrow), but I know I'm down 5 sizes in jeans, and at least 3 sizes in regular clothes.... (we have different size-systems for jeans here in Holland)
    It seems silly that somehow that hasn't really registered with me yet...

I've been asking people who I'm close with to keep an eye on me, because the idea that I'm still chubby does make me feel that I still need to lose weight while I know I really have to start looking into maintenance now. It's a little scary how your mind can trick you into thinking you're still exactly the way you used to be.
    So I'm hoping that one of these days it will click in my mind :)
  • crystalcumb
    crystalcumb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way and I'm almost at my goal, 2 pounds away but i find myself on mybodygallery.com all the time looking at women who are the same height and weight as me and it make it a little better. but i hate to be the skinny friend that says " I'm so fat, i need to lose weight" and everyone looks at me like "where"?
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I have struggled with this since I started losing weight. And as I started to really gain some serious muscle over the last two months (about 7-10 lbs worth) I have completely been freaking out like I have gained fat or something (I haven't-- in fact my inches are down too. Crazy?) But I still think I am the fat girl everywhere I go... everything I do.... I have a wedding to go to in Feb for my cousins. I used to be the fat one, and I am so worried I won't have done "good enough" for everyone else. It's not ABOUT everyone else, and yet that's all I can think of. :/ It sucks.

But you are not alone.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I really, really get this. I'm down 43lbs since June 18th and I've been shopping twice for new clothes and each time my friend will pick up a medium and I'll go 'no that's too small and pick up the L or XL', I just don't see myself mentally as having lost weight. Whenever I do fit into something that's not a large, I'm always stunned and surprised!

It's like my brain hasn't caught up to my body yet and I'm still just under half way to my target weight!
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I do. I lost 50 lbs...went form a 14 to a 6-8 and still feel like a size 14. :-/...My dream size has always be a 4...so let's see how I feel there.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    All the time. I have "fat mentality" for sure! :/

I'm 5'10 and at one point I was 152lbs (not so much anymore). I had come down from 195. I was "thin" to say the least.
    I felt fat. I looked in the mirror, and I felt bigger than I had felt at 195. I still covered up my entire body in hoodies & sweatshirts, oversized t-shirts etc...
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yes!

Not every day, but some days i do still see the really fat girl in the mirror and its as if nothing has changed but i then remind myself that i have lost over 50lbs and everyone tells me all the time how different i look. Some days i just don't see it.
  • SocialRopes
    SocialRopes Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    every.single.day
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Still do! and, it's really odd becuase I know that my clothes fit better etc, etc. but when I look at my body unclothed there's still so much room for improvement. Guess I'm a work in progress :wink:
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have to constantly remind myself that my former "fat self" is someone that I never want to be again. I keep a picture of myself how I was back then, in my gym locker, to always keep me motivated.

It's hard though, because I know I could lose more. Even 40 lbs less than what I was.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do.

I just do.

Nuff said.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Everyday. I still feel like the goddamned Titanic. Still super fat and tubby. It seriously messes with me sometimes.
  • cheree1969
    cheree1969 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I didn't really realize how much I had lost until I tried on a pair of jeans and a belt that I kept when I started. Seeing all the space in those pants made me finally realize how far I have come.
  • rjwant
    rjwant Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I still see myself as 250 pounds even though its been over 5 years since I was that big. In the mirror I see every bulge and fat roll and I'm afraid it will always be that way for me. I hesitate when I'm out shopping for clothes because I'm naturally drawn to the 3x's still. It's funny to me that I see the big girl I used to be now that I'm not big anymore and when I was big I saw the skinny girl I am now. Losing weight especially a lot of weight can really play games with your mind. So don't worry, you're not the only one that feels this way. :wink:
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest problem right now. I'm down 56 pounds in total, but I look at myself and I still see how I looked a year ago. I wish I could get past this, but it's really hard. I was overweight for 14 years.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!