• doloreskent
    doloreskent Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just love your post!
    Thanks.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    hi my name is carol and im 48 years old almost 50 i am a very big gal have over 200 lbs to lose so far lost 24 lbs im new to this and dont really undrestand how all this works but im trying i have 7 kids which are all married except for three and they are teenagers been married to the same guy for 34 years live in Eastbernstadt ky would love all the help i can get help please

:flowerforyou: :drinker: welcome, Carol, just keep coming back and you'll learn how things work here....when I found MFP three years ago I was trying to find out how many calories there were in something and I took the plunge and tried something new every day...this is a great thread for support and encouragement and a great place to ask questions.....we are a varied group with many different approaches to weight loss and exercise.

:drinker: a good way to start is to plan your food for the day and log it on MFP and go for a walk, even if it's a short one.......take baby steps and learn new things and you'll gradually have a plan that works for you.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I awoke this morning to rain and walked the dogs for almost two hours in the drizzle.......by the time we were ready to leave for the Lavender Festival, the rain had stopped but it was gray and cold all day
    we visited three farms and the fair in the park, ate lavender ice cream twice, ate Mexican food for lunch, bought a lavender plant, and listened to some great country music played by a group that said that their average age was 74

:bigsmile: when this thread gets to 500 posts there is a tiny notice at the bottom that tells you to click on it and you'll get to where the thread is continued.......it's just one more thing to learn :laugh:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Meg - glad your hubby is getting in the habit of using MFP. As you said, one step at a time. The next step is when he starts to measure. At least he's starting, and that's a good thing

mailaig - welcome! You've come to a great group. I think every one of us has had a bad experience with other groups...but not this one. So glad to have you.

Mary - your trip sounds absolutely wonderful! I, too, am what Vince calls "the eternal optimist", but I like that

Sue - prayers and good thoughts coming your way.

petalsandpaws - dogs have masters, cats have servants. I have a magnet that says "how wonderful it is to do nothing all day and then nap afterwards". So true, so true

roly - what part of France are you in? My son lives in Bordeaux

Welcome everyone new! You've come to a really good forum, the best if you ask me.

DeeDee - they're only going to remove one of the wisdom teeth. Evidentally, there is a bit of infection there, but not on the other side. I eat a little of the desserts, and then I give the rest away. Better on their hips than mine....lol I only post on this thread, too. People here are in the same stage of life, we're not 20 any more. It's also good to see what someone older than myself is going thru to know what is most likely coming down the road for me and the best way to handle it. Our cats think the yardstick is "the magic toy finder" because we many times use it to get under the refrigerator, etc.

I've started x-stitching a bookmark for a friend. She mentioned that she likes to read, so that's probably what I would give her for Christmas

Robin - so happy to hear that the new job is working out. That's wonderful!

Lin - it's noon and so far I've had 48oz of water. Did an hour of a downloadable spin workout today. Tomorrow...farmers market and then yoga then go to one food store. If I go on Sat. I can get 2 dozen eggs for 88 cents each, so it's worth it. One thing I like about this store, even tho it isn't exactly big by any means, you can add your purchases for 3 months and then get a certain amount off a gallon of gas up to 20 gallons. So far, I get 75 cents off a gallon with 5 cents expiring at the end of the month, so Vince will probably go and fill his SUV up since it takes more gas than my car.

Linda - you've taken the first step to losing that belly of yours by coming here. Log in every day. If you're feeling down, tell us. We're here to listen and will give you support. If you're feeling good, tell us. Welcome to a great group!

Meg - congrats on the fantastic weight loss despite everything. I KNEW you could do it!

kackie - I don't like anyone to make a fuss about my birthday. As a matter of fact, you have no idea how upset I was when Vince told someone my birthday last year because I know her, and she's just the type of person who would make a big deal out of it. As it is, we have a "secret santa" for some of the mahjongg people. I'm pretty sure I know who mine is. She gave me a "birthday" present. Come on...it was supposedly left on her doorstep! I commented "why would anyone give me a birthday present, it isn't my birthday", but I know that she's the type of person who thinks that birthdays are a big deal. To me, my birthday is just another day in the year.

Well, Ken and Lynette were here for dinner. Next time I'm going to make a roast. Anyway, as you know, Lynette doesn't like to cook. She (supposedly jokingly) said that she would ask me to make something, she has to go to a cookout for her accounting group tomorrow. So...I gave her 1/2 of the cheese pound cake. I also gave her a zucchini chocolate bread that I had in the freezer. She kept saying that she'd buy something at the store, but I really wanted to get rid of that cake. Vince finished it, I just told him it was a lime pound cake, I didn't mention that there was cream cheese in it or he wouldn't have eaten it. He just finished it. I took a piece for the people at the farmer's market tomorrow. The man (his wife is in charge) gives me good advice like "his cantaloupes are really sweet" (they were!), his corn is really good (it is!), so in the end, it's worth it. I get good advice plus I get rid of things that I make.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone, Sorry to have missed yesterday group! It has been such a long week not sleeping well. Burning the candle at both ends so to speak! Yesterday and today at work was good so grateful for how busy it is there helps but I didn't feel very alert. The weekend is here so looking forward to some R&R! This is a quick note just wanting to say Hello hope all is doing good. I enjoy reading your posts. Thinking about all who are going through surgeries and not feeling well. Hope all goes well & feel better soon.
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi you wonderful women!
    I don't think that when I join this blog that I told you anything about myself. so here goes!
    I am an (older) mother of two teenage daughters. They just turned 15 and 13 in May. I will be 55 this August. I didn't meet my husband until I was 35. In 2014 we will celebrate our 20 years of marriage! :heart: :drinker:
    I am a Registered Nurse and I have worked in many wonderful places and have had a wonderful career that has taken me many places. I did work in the middle east and got to travel all over the world. I was having so much fun and never met the right guy to marry until I was 35! My husband also needs to lose weight,but he could just exercise and cut his calories and he will lose weight :angry: :mad:
    I am currently working remotely at home as a R.N. doing telephone triage. A perfect job for me. I had a fall at work and now have a new bionic knee and hip! Lol:smile::smile: I need one more knee replacement,but need to lose this weight first.:sad: :sad:
    We have 2 labrador retrievers, , yellow and chocolate, and a mexican hairless dog, who is coated,plus we have 2 tabby cats. My SIL is a Vet, so every homeless animal finds a home within our family/relatives.:tongue::tongue:
    I have 100+ pounds to lose, but just taking it one day at a time. It's strange how I don't see myself as being so overweight,but I guess denial is not looking in the mirror.:blushing: :blushing:
    I found this group and have been very loyal to logging my food and reading these posts. This will make the difference for me on this journey this time. When I read the posts I am motivated and feel accountable to all of you! This is a GOOD thing!
    Welcome to all the new ladies, just keep coming back and you too will feel the love and support We have 2 Linda's in the group,So I will be Linda-Sundance(my yellow lab).

arewethereyet I had mine done this last year and it wasn't as bad as I imagined! I got a clean bill of health for 10 years until the next one. I am glad that these screening tests are available to us now, so we can find abnormal finds and get treatment if necessary.

Amanda ,thank you so much for reminding me to think about the gifts in my life and to be grateful for them.

Kat, Migraines are awful. I don't have then,but I do get sinus headaches and they are not fun. Migraines are much worse and glad that you are feeling better.

Barbie, I will have to read those books! Reading is something I miss doing. Thank you so much for starting this post and keeping us moving forward!:wink::wink: Have a wonderful retreat!

Michele , Ummh, desserts . Don't let me even go there! Lucky you!:drinker:

Sue, praying for you. Keep thinking positive! Hugs to you!:flowerforyou:

lizmil79 Hope you will get some sleep this weekend. Sleep is so important to feeling well. I also burn the candle at both ends,especially when my girls are in school.. We got to get better at taking care of ourselves first!:explode: :explode:

Gillian ,Karmakat50 ,roly59 ,Carol, Dora and mailaig- welcome to all of you! You came to the right place for motivation and support!

Robin - Glad that the new job is going well! yea!!!:drinker: :drinker:

Meg - Hi , that is a lot of sodium! Glad that the water is off now! What type of tests are you writing? Sounds interesting!

petalsandpaws - Somedays, I think that all these animals in our home, have it great. What a life. They give us so much unconditional love that they are entitled to such a life!:tongue:

DeeDee - Hi , hope all is going well.

Lin - Hi hope all is going well for you!
    You keep me motivated and working on myself one day, one step at a time! Thank you all !:heart:

Linda-Sundance :love: :love:
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone, sorry I've been MIA for a few weeks(?) not sure when I last posted :embarassed:

:ohwell: So many posts that I haven't had time to catch up with everyone. I hope all my old friends are doing well. I notice a few new faces - welcome I look forward to getting to know you all.

:noway: I think the last time I posted I mentioned that I'd found a great work out on line and had started to exercise every morning - well the very next day I tried to log on but the work out had been taken off youtube - I was so disappointed, I tried to find it to see if I could buy a copy from Amazon, but can't seem to find it anywhere. I've managed to find a few other work outs to do but they are not as good. I've also bought a few Rosemary Conley fitness DVDs , so I am trying to keep up with the exercise.

:frown: As for the weight, I can't seem to lose it! I'm obviously doing something wrong, and I feel I know what part of it is, but you'd think by now I'd be able to do it. I get so frustrated with myself.

:flowerforyou: Had a lovely night out at a friends house last week, (it's supposed to be our book club, but we spend most of the time chatting and having a good time :bigsmile: :bigsmile: ) it's good to catch up outside of work, the last book we read was "The Help" we all found it a good read. The next one is "The Marigold Hotel" I've recently watched the download of it and enjoyed it, I've just ordered the book from Amazon so we'll see how it compares.

Well I'd better get moving , been sat at the computer long enough.

Chat again soon.

Viv xx
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning my lovelies.

Welcome to all the newbies - you are in a loving place when you post here. The ladies in this post are thoughtful, supportive and do not judge. What more could you ask for!

I'm continuing in my more positive frame of mind - which is one more thing to be grateful for. Now that I can walk a little faster, I'm finding it easier to outrun the blues when they try to catch up with me.

Last night DH and I babysat the grandtwins. We got there just in time to give them their bath. Honestly, they are such little angels! My DD has such a good routine set up for them. They get out of their bath and into their bathrobes, toddle into their bedroom where she has a nappy (diaper) waiting for each of them with their cup of warm milk sat next to them. They each go to their cup and sit and drink, then come over with their nappy to be dried and have their nappy put on. They then help themselves to a soother each and are lifted into their cots where they immediately lie down and are asleep within two minutes. Not a peep from them after that until they wake at around 6:30 am. Truly awesome - I wish I had managed to train my children so well. To be fair though, I was bringing them up alone after divorce etc and quite often had to work nights, so it was much harder to create a routine. Still, my DD who didn't have an ounce of maternal blood in her bones before she got pregnant, has worked so hard to make these babies feel safe and comfortable. (Even with the SOBSIL - but that's behind us now).

We are hoping for better weather over the next few days, but just in case of rain, I'm going to give my gym a big overhaul tomorrow. I want to start using my recumbent exercise bike again - I've been avoiding it recently because of my arthritis flare up, but I need to start building on my strength.

Well, I'm at work, so I'd better do some!

Have a great weekend if you possibly can. For those of you with struggles and difficulties, I send a virtual hug and a hope for more sunshine in all our lives.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • debrawallin
    debrawallin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new. Definitely in the 50+ range!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for your motivation and support. I am pleased that I lost 6 pounds in my first 7 weeks here. During the first 4 weeks, I faithfully logged my food, water and exercise daily, and consumed my recommended calorie intake. Then I was away from home and internet service for a week. Enjoyed more treats that I should have during vacation, but still maintained a fairly healthy diet. Now trying to get back into the routine of logging daily.

I am having out-patient laparoscopic surgery on July 25 to remove my ovaries. The doctor has been monitoring a cyst on my left ovary for the past 5 years. A recent ultrasound indicates it has grown in size. He is not suspecting cancer at this point, but wants to remove the ovaries as prevention. I'm 58 and post-menopausal. I have endometriosis on the left side and have endured pain on and off for many years. I am dreading this surgery terribly because I had experienced nausea and much pain following a laparoscopic procedure 18 years ago to cut away adhesions from the endometriosis. I would greatly appreciate prayers! Thank you for your kindness.

Sue

Sue, so sorry you are going through this. Please ask your doctor to review the meds used for anesthesia in your last sx. It may be that you had a mild alergic reaction to something. When I went for my procedure, and had to be put under, I discussed at length with my dr the issues I had with nausea on my last sx 29 years ago. He tweeked the meds and I was fine an hour after the procedure!

Sometimes we defer to the experts, when in fact we are our own best expert!

Jeannine
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    YIKES!! I thought I had lost all of you.. I was in a royal snit until jb helped me find my way. Thank you jb. How on earth do you find the thread when you reach 500 posts to the next thread??

Go to YOUR TOPICS, find the old thread, go to the last post. In that post it will have a link to the new thread.

If a topic rolls, meaning it has the max posts allowed by the site, then you can just follow it to the new thread.

May have to turn you ladies onto the "ROLL THE THREAD" contest! :laugh:

On my other thread we are in number 28 or 29 I think. When it gets to the end we all fight over who gets to 'roll' Fun times.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Hi, I'm new. Definitely in the 50+ range!

:wink:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Let's see. Not sure if I told y'all anything about myself. I am 51 yrs old, almost 20 yrs at the same job and thankful every day for it, I have 3 grown children 25 daughter, 26 son and 29 son. They are all doing well and it makes me happy.

I am a bit kooky, as in will break out in dance to the rythm of he copier spitting out my daily work. Or burst into song when the dog barks, weird I guess:tongue:

Last year I had had enough, and left a 27 year marriage. It is not official in court, but official in mediation, that I find myself single.

This has brought up many things for me. At first I thought my life as a partner was over. I never intended to be single, and worked hard to stay through out the years. Just reading bios on y'all brings tears to my eyes at the years you have been happily married. When I see an elderly couple gently holding hands it makes me tear up.

Today I do realize that it is a new life. I mean when we are born we think we have this ONE life. 0-100...........just a continuum. Now I feel like we have all these little lives inbetween those years.

Just as I would not want to go back to mommy taking care of me at 3, or those scary teenage years at 13, I also don't want to go back to the married and very unhappy years of yesterday. All the changes I have made in the past year are because of my new life. (and I wish him all the best:flowerforyou: )

Now there is a gentleman who is interested in me, and I in him. So looks like my 'partner' life is not over:tongue:

As for a healthy lifestyle, I am working on it! This thread and another are getting me back where I belong.

"I am going to eat healthy and exercise more. If I lose weight, then BONUS!!:heart: "

Jeannine
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Well Hello thought I log in before the day gets away from me. Yeah for Saturday. nothing special plan for this weekend. I am sort of glad about that. It is just the basics cleaning house laundry, grocery shopping. It also means spending the day with my 19 yr daughter who has special needs she loves the days that can be relax not so busy where you from the minute you get up till bed. She is calmer and so is the household than. I didn't realize how busy we had gotten till last week she kept having melt down after melt down which isn't her normal except when I get too busy than must dail it back, So we are today.

@Jeannie welcome and thank you for being so open. I can relate to knew beginnings starting over this is the 1st step in that process for me too. I really enjoy this group I have found everyone to be very supportive.

Sorry for such a general note @ everyone I wish you a a good Saturday .
  • Suesana64
    Suesana64 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, this is really for anyone..I have celiac disease and I'm really truing to lose weight but haven't been able to find the right combination of food to stay full and within guidelines. any suggestions?
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good morning all and :smile: Welcome to Sue and Jeanine. I loved reading your stories, such strength and inspiration. There are a lot of inspirational women on this thread and I look forward to our journey together.

:wink: congratulations for all the "losers" and prayers for those who are facing challenges.

:noway: I am going to be away for a week, but will have my lap top to keep logging and checking up on everyone.
    :heart: My grandson Matthew (who turned 5 yesterday) is having open heart surgery at AI DuPont on Tuesday. I will be staying at the Ronald McDonald house in Wilmington to look after my GD Rowan (his 2 year old sister) and still be able to visit him every day. The RMH is in walking distance to the hospital and part of it is uphill. I will put Rowan in a stroller, so should make for some great exercise.
    :smile: Weigh in was yesterday and I am down 2 more pounds.:blushing: I am going to take food with me to Wilmington so I can try to stay on track.
    :smile: I have a lot to do before Monday morning so I better get started.
    :heart: Love ((((HUGS)))) and Prayers for everyone, Rose
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies - first to everyone who's facing health challenges---their own or the illness/surgery of family members, prayers and good wishes go out to you. My mother is gone now but over her lifetime she had more surgeries than I can even count and I spent a good portion of my life in hospital waiting rooms and in her room often holding her head as she was sick after surgery or trying to run down a nurse for pain meds for her as my father couldn't stand to be around hospitals. ALTOGETHER STRESSFUL! Be strong.

A note to Susana64, I am celiac. I don't think there is any combination of foods that will work for everyone. I know it's a struggle, I still work on it everyday since most of us have other issues and intolerances in addition to gluten. BUT there is another place on MFP, the forum I beleve is GLUTEN and you'll find lots of people there who either are celiac or have chosen to eliminate gluten from their diets. Huge difference in perspective but another place to pose questions. You have found a wonderful place here. Everyone is kind and generous. I don't know how many celiacs or gluten intolerant ladies are here.

I'm starting to revisit some of my earlier days of exercise when I was lots smaller and to that end did a Cathe Friedrich low impact step DVD this week. Now I find I'm waxing nostalgic for other workouts---Gilad, Sharon Mann, and even Jane Fonda for gosh sakes. We'll see what happens next. I'm lots older, much heavier, with various non-functioning joints, fibro and celiac. Probably not the greatest combination to take this on!!

Wishing everyone well. We're heading back to the 100s according to the weatherman. I'll be :drinker: :drinker:

To all of you---health and happiness.

Lin
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Short on time this morning so I've just copied my blog post and pasted it here. Hope everyone has a wonderful Saturday! :flowerforyou:

The Summer of Almost Content

I'm almost happy.

I'm stronger in general and my legs are toning up. As long as I ignore the belly fat that still jiggles on my midsection, I feel I've made incredible progress. I'm 32 pounds lighter than I was last July, have lost a total of 67 pounds in 18 months and have absolutely no back pain or sciatica.

1. I can control what I eat.

2. I know exactly what it takes to make the scale go down.

3. I know what foods help keep my head on straight.

4. Exercising has become almost fun.

Little by little, these realizations are taking hold.

It's a strange feeling, happiness. I spent so many years beating myself up for being so fat and having not one little ounce of self-control. Living with underlying depression on a daily basis for as long as I can remember became habit. When you're used to hating yourself like that for all those years, it seems to take forever (maybe even a coon's age) to learn to like yourself and give yourself some appreciation.

Every so often now I experience a tiny ray of exuberance. Eventually I might be able to jump up and click my heels together in pure joy.

:smile: jb http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jb_2011?month=201207
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday, I have been so busy and spent this morning catching up on you ladies. Lots of new Ladies, Welcome. I have not been logging but still eating healthy. Scale as you know is not my friend, but I saw a friend I had not seen in a month and he said, hey you have lost weight, soooooooooooo either I really am or he was being kind lol

Last night was GS last Biddy Ball game (t ball for 2-3 yr olds) they got trophy which is the start of all those you collect and don't know what to do with when they are older.

Like some of you I too had to start over life, Thursday would have been 32 yr anniversary, but I was celebrating the 7 yr divorce :) which now I wish I had pushed back to the 19th instead of it being final on the 5th. It would have been our 25th anniversary if I had used my head :laugh:

Will be watching the grandkids 3 days a week starting in Aug and for my Birthday a friend gave me a gift card for Target, not my favorite store so will go today to buy some things for the house for the grandkids. I find I am not spoiling Paisley as much as I did Trevor when he was a baby. Guess cause he was first? Doesn't mean I love her any less.....

Drink your water
    Sherry
  • lindamr1957
    lindamr1957 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Goodmorning Ladies, I made it through yesterday and today is going to be a better day. Oh I did fine with eating (hate calling it diet) and will do great today. I am trying to eat every three hours and find it to be challanging but it worked out.
    Thanks for the support
    Everyone have a great Sunday