What do you do to get up at 5 am to work out?

Options
That's the only time I have to work ou so I need suggestions.

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Go to bed early. Earplugs and blindfold if necessary.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I start mentally listing all the things I need to get done, get the kids up during school, feed the critters, laundry, dishes, etc. Or I start thinking about finances. I physcially cannot sleep when I start thinking of finances.
  • sashalee2001
    Options
    I set my air conditioner to go off at 4:30 a.m. and like clockwork I am up at 5:00 a.m. because it's hot.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Go to bed early. Earplugs and blindfold if necessary.

Kinky bugger.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I don't miss the joys of communal living
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    I get up at 4:40 am to workout at 5:30 am 3 days a week. It all boils down to preparation making it an easier start to the day.

I like to make sure my workout clothes including socks and shoes and all are laid out the night before.
    I also prep some food for the week on Sundays (since I always have Sundays off work) like snack bags of pre measured nuts/cut vegetables, oats and other items.
    I've also been making a protein shake the night before kept in the fridge in case i'm too pinched for time to make a balanced breakfast after my workout/before work.
    And those are the easy things...lastly I TRY to go to bed before 10 pm
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:15 every day to workout. I lay my clothes out the night before, and put them in the front bathroom so I can get dressed in there & not disturb hubby. I make sure I get to bed at a decent time the night before, and just have to tell myself that I am getting up to workout - no arguments. You just have to resolve to do it!

I've been doing that consistently for about a year, and now I usually wake up before my alarm goes off. It's habit. I love getting it done first thing int the morning!
  • luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am going to start working out in the early mornings soon- so my plan is to use my cell phone alarm and put it clear across the room on my dresser. I know I'll jump right up and get it or (God forbid) my 2 year old son will hear it and then be a hellcat by bedtime...
    Once I'm out of bed I know I won't go back.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    After getting up at 4am for a few years now (on and off), it takes a couple of mornings of getting used to it. I also have the attitude that i NEED to do this, and that it will benefit me in the long run.
  • jamm2000
    jamm2000 Posts: 79
    Options
    I try to go to bed by 9-930 and wake up at 4:30am. I am accustomed to only getting 5-6 hours of sleep so if I go to bed by 9:30 I'm wide awake, ready to rock and roll when the alarm goes off at 4:30, with 7 full hours of sleep.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    So that I don't burn up while running outside... thats my motivation for getting up at 5 am.

What I physically do though,is just tell myself you are waking up at 5 am.. and I do wake up at 5 am.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew! I tried that for a few days, and it didn't work out so well for me. lol
    Waking up wasn't the hard part. Doing interval training 30 min later was the hard part for me. I'm just not the type that likes to get right to it 1st thing in the morning...
    I guess if you really want it, you will do it :) Good luck!
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    bump! I need help with this to. I get frustrated with myself because I Have ZERO energy to do my workouts. then it starts a cycle of i'll start tomorrow. #EXCUSES
  • Fabulocity
    Fabulocity Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I try to plan ahead.
    Have my workout bag ready the night before.
    Also, I agree with others.
    It's definitely a mindset---
    I wish you the best.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Early bed time and an alarm that'll give you a heart attack and basically force you awake. Once it becomes routine sometimes you don't even need the alarm. You're up, your body knows to be awake even if you're yawning, and you can go.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I put my phone (my alarm) out of reach. Once I'm out of bed to shut it off I figure I might as well stay up. I also make sure I work out first thing so there's no time to convince myself not to or get distracted
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Got a "butler" alarm clock and set it for 4:50, wake up gently to the soothing sound of Stephen Fry's cultured tones, already have my workout clothes set out, protein shake made, and I'm out the door by 5:15. I can't even sleep in on rest days any more, I'm so used to this routine.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    My alarm is on my phone so I make it something annoying and put it in the bathroom beside my gym clothes and shoes. Or somedays I sleep in my gym clothes (yep...sure do). But most of the time I put my clothes and shoes by my alarm.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    bump! I need help with this to. I get frustrated with myself because I Have ZERO energy to do my workouts. then it starts a cycle of i'll start tomorrow. #EXCUSES

Try eating foods that will give you the energy. If you're not eating right for what you're trying to do, you'll never get anything done.
  • Runner50266
    Options
    I go to bed early and set my alarm for 1/2 hour before I have to get up. Then I know I have the luxury of hitting snooze twice and that is my absolute limit. plus I have a workout partner and I don't want to let her down. That and I can't run in the 100 degree temps outside in the afternoon so if I want to get my run in, that is when I have to do it because I detest running on a treadmill indoors.