Need advice from "Bulkers"...

Options
2»

Replies

• wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    As a total novice lifter, he can probably put on ~2 lbs./month for a while, and should take advantage of that while it lasts. Eating about a 500 cal daily surplus should work. It is almost obscenely easy for a noob lifter to get great results, so just getting in the habit of lifting and eating right should be all he needs to see great results. Later on if he sticks with it and starts slowing down, feel free to post again and you can get advice on a more involved routine, but for now simple is best!

Here's the rundown:

Diet:
    Eat ~500 cals/day surplus.
    Eat 1g protein/pound lean body mass.
    If fat gain seems excessive (it shouldn't), reduce caloric suplus.
    On lifting days, after lifting, get at least 300g carbs, around 100g of which can be sugar (I like Frosted Flakes for this personally). This will aid recovery and help with muscle synthesis.
    Lean meats, fruits, and veggies are preferred, but eating a little bit of junk won't hurt.
    If sufficient caloric intake is difficult, whole milk is amazing for adding calories.

Workout:
    Look at Starting Strength, or StrongLifts 5x5 or 5/3/1 for good beginner programs (any one of those should work). These should give great results until around 'intermediate' strength levels (www.strstd.com for nice strength standards calculator).
    Work out in the morning if at all possible.
    The only cardio that should be done is walking or very low intensity steady state. If he really wants to do cardio, 1-2 days/week of HIIT is probably OK as well, but make sure to account for calorie burn to maintain your caloric surplus.

As long as body fat gain isn't excessive, I wouldn't worry about it... it's a _LOT_ easier to get rid of body fat than it is to gain muscle.

Hope this helps!
  • icculus19
    icculus19 Posts: 39
    Options
    he can hit the gym hard all day and eat like 4000 cals a day but it all comes down to genetics. if he is a small framed guy his body more than likely wont let him blow up like the hulk, however he could put on some really good lean muscle mass and look shredded. he needs to add like 20 lbs IMHO but he does ot rite he could look like tyler derdant. he should def up his diet to atleast 200 cals per day i would recommended a mass gainer. you can find these at gns or vitamine shop. def go to the gym start off slow dont go so heavy where he cant move for like 3 days. he should bench fles, lat pull downs, tbar rows shoulder press, squat or leg press, leg extensions. i would have him start off at 4 sets of 8-12 reps. from there he can adjust the weight up or down the reps a sets up or down.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    have him start his own account and ask for himself

that would be a good start on his road to being a "big boy"

He needs to eat ALOT and lift ALOT, and skip cardio, it will only require him to eat more. I haven't weighed 130 since i was 12, and i am only 5' 7"
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    have him start his own account and ask for himself

that would be a good start on his road to being a "big boy"

This is pretty much my thought on it too. I was going to say something earlier but laid off, but I'll cosign this comment.

There are stages. " I need to go to the gym" has to be replaced by" I want to go to the gym" which has to be replaced by "I JOINED a gym". Then point him in our direction.

If I were you I wouldn't lay out any of this info to him right now, especially if he's already feeling insecure. Giving him bodybuilding advice is about the same as me bringing home breast implant brochures and putting them with my wife's mail. It's going to feel like pressure, and pressure and insecurity do not a good cocktail make.
  • xd2005
    xd2005 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't worry...give him a couple years and the pounds will just magically appear. I'm 31 and have, what sounds like, the same frame as your husband (about 5'8, around 130-135lbs until I was 30). Literally, it seems when I hit 30 a switch flipped and I started slowly gaining. Couple months ago I got up to 145, which is fine, but the problem was I gained it by eating junk (fast food, sweets) and it surely wasn't muscle gain.

I decided to take the approach of losing the weight I'd gained first, then work on bulking up. I've lost the weight (down to 128), now working on making the switch over to bulking (really, just trying to commit myself to the gym time). Eating the calories is easy...eating the right calories to reach the goal is the hard part.

It's also difficult with a spouse trying to do the opposite (lose weight instead of gain). When I'm working on 2,100 calories (should probably up that) and her on like 1,400 makes meals difficult. Best of luck!
  • joeyplatypus92
    Options
    compound exercises and 200g + of protein; low fat/high carbs
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If he's having a really hard time adding weight while eating healthy (i.e. adding muscle instead of fat) he can try the GOMAD diet (or a portion of it at least). Basically, if someone is having a hard time eating enough to gain weight, they can just add a bunch of whole milk to their diet for good, high quality protein, fat and carbs. GOMAD stands for gallon of milk a day and that's exactly what it is. Eat healthy food and if you're not gaining, drink milk and lots of it.
  • joeyplatypus92
    Options
    If he's having a really hard time adding weight while eating healthy (i.e. adding muscle instead of fat) he can try the GOMAD diet (or a portion of it at least). Basically, if someone is having a hard time eating enough to gain weight, they can just add a bunch of whole milk to their diet for good, high quality protein, fat and carbs. GOMAD stands for gallon of milk a day and that's exactly what it is. Eat healthy food and if you're not gaining, drink milk and lots of it.

>recommends being healthy
    >suggests GOMAD

lol
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options

>recommends being healthy
    >suggests GOMAD

lol

I don't see what the problem is. If he eats healthy, protein rich meals high in fiber and good fats, it's really easy to feel full after not eating a ton of calories. If he's having a hard time putting on weight, GOMAD is a decent option. Much better than stuffing himself with lower quality foods that are high in calories but less filling and void of essential nutrients.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Gomad has it's following. If you were going to drink a gallon of milk every day for the rest of your life, I'd be concerned, but as a short term weight gain, I I wouldn't freak out about it.

Nuts and nut butters are very calorie dense, I'd start packing those with his meals.

He doesn't drink a lot of caffeinated beverages like mtn dew, does he? I've seen tons of rail thin guys drink that stuff like water, I don;t know if it is coincidence or not though.....
  • truth_in_action82
    Options
    Whether he has just complained about this or has asked for you help, it seems like it's a touchy subject. My advice is to offer solutions for him to discover on his own, or together with you.

There are many different ways to approach weight gain/loss, which is why it's important for him to find something that will fit his current lifestyle. I would track what he eats for 3 days to find out his caloric intake, how often he eats, and what kinds of foods he eats. This will help identify his behavior with food and help him better understand what plan will work best.

Many people have already posted some great advice which I hope doesn't fall on deaf ears, but here are a few websites that have great articles on the topic of "bulking."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/

http://www.simplyshredded.com/category/nutrition/bulking

Some things to consider:

-Try to limit total calories to no more than 1,000 kcal above the daily requirement. Anything above will go to waste (ie - fat).
    -If you are new to working out, keep it simple with full body workouts 3X's a week, and 2X's cardio. You don't want to get hurt and ruin any new muscle/weight.
    -80% of the program is diet, 10% is sleep, 5% is workouts, and the last 5% is rest.
    -Add variety to your workouts & diet, this will keep you consistently improving.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Best Wishes,

Truth_in_action82
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Gomad has it's following. If you were going to drink a gallon of milk every day for the rest of your life, I'd be concerned, but as a short term weight gain, I I wouldn't freak out about it.

Nuts and nut butters are very calorie dense, I'd start packing those with his meals.

He doesn't drink a lot of caffeinated beverages like mtn dew, does he? I've seen tons of rail thin guys drink that stuff like water, I don;t know if it is coincidence or not though.....

He does - like five sodas a day. I've been trying for years to break that habit. Today - I sent him with one soda and two bottles of water for lunch. I'm probably going to get an angry text around lunch time - but, ohwell. He wanted my help.... LOL
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    Update:

He did make an account this weekend.

He tracked and realized what I already knew - that he is only eating about 1300 calories a day. Mostly in crap.

So, we went grocery shopping together and I pointed out some stuff on labels - and I think he made some really good choices.

I can see how it is going to be difficult to manage two different eating styles - but, since I cook a lot and make most of his meals (my choice, I stay at home so really it's my pleasure) I'll do the best I can.

I made him oatmeal with protein this morning, made a protein drink (PB2 - since we don't have any Whey powder at the moment - its on the list, Kefir, greek yogurt, and peanut butter) to send with him for the ride (he has just over an hour commute), packed a lunch with tuna, light cheese, nuts, whole grain bread, and one sugary snack. For dinner I already have tons of steak and chicken that I grilled up, and some baby red potatoes, and of course whatever veggies I throw together. But last night he was full after 4 oz of steak... So, he said he is going to work on eating more quality foods - in increasing amounts. And, he actually had a plain glass of water yesterday too - which, I don't think I have ever seen him drink just plain water...
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    4000 calories is too much for someone starting out at 130lbs, he will put on weight fast........too fast and a lot of it will be fat.

I'm 190lb and can bulk easily on 3400-3500, even that adds a bit of fat on me.

Work out his maintenance and eat 500 above this daily, I would be surprised if that's even 3250.

There is point of diminishing returns with bulking, once you eat 500 or so over maintenance any more than that isn't going to build any more mass, just make you fatter.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    I think his intake is set at 2430 right now, he said he wants to try that for a week, and then go up from there.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    By the way, Chocolate whey in the coffee is a great way to get some protein in in the morning with everything else.