Did you lose weight after having the Mirena taken out?

Options

Replies

• DestinedforSuccess
    Options
    I gained 14 pounds in 3-4 weeks of being on mirena..i just had mine removed last friday. i have way more energy just have to re-regulate my body and let it do its job on its own and lose this weight that i put on because of it. it was a horrible experience having 2-3 periods a month and sometimes just being mean and tired...now that its out i have soo much more energy
  • abagwill
    abagwill Posts: 222
    Options
    I have to share my experience because it is crazy! I had my baby boy on 2/10/12 and had my Mirena inserted on 3/26/12. I had it removed today and from the day I had it inserted I have gained 16 lbs! 16! I looked completely bloated, had horrible mood swings, was constantly exhausted and felt so blah! I had the Mirena inserted after my first son in January 2009 and it took 2 years for me to notice the symptoms but the mood swings, the weight gain, puffiness were all the same. What the real kicker was was that I wasn't changing my eating style was watching what I ate, drank water a lot and walked at least 3 times per week and yet I continued to gain every week. I went from 216 to 230. I just had to have it removed. Now just a few hours later and I feel relief. I was actually able to put my wedding ring on after not being about to wear it for the past few weeks!
    I didn't have a period or anything and I didn't get acne but I am just waiting for the weight to come off as it did after having it removed.
    BTW I had my previous one removed April 2011 and was pregnant in May 2011 but only gained 10 lbs... I attribute it all to the Mirena.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Only found this thread just now. Was at a pretty solid 138 for years and gained 20+ since having this thing in. Had it uninstalled on Friday.

If anyone's still checking this thread, I would love to know if any of you have had any weird side effects after having it removed...

- bizarre mood swings, like worse than PMS induced ones.
    - hot flashes
    - sweats
    - fatigue followed by a deep, deep sleep when I do go to bed
    - low grade fever (I usually run low (97.1) so a fever of 99 is nothing for "normal" people, but slightly elevated for me.)
    - palpitations

My doctor told me that none of the symptoms I was having with the Mirena installed were attributed to it, so I doubt he's gonna want to hear anything about what I'm going through now that I've had it removed.

Please feel free to send a private message if that's easier. Just looking for someone to validate me, since my gyn is a complete tool, but the only one who will take my insurance.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I didn't have an side effects when mine was removed. Quite opposite, everything I had been experiencing went away. But every body is different. Has your doctor suggested any other causes?

The one thing I have realized in my whole journey, if your doctor isn't listening to you or you feel like you are being blown off. Get a new doctor! :flowerforyou:
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've gotta say, I LOVE my mirena. I didn't gain weight because of it. I gained weight because I was a Fatty McFatFat and ate everything in sight. I also haven't had any problems losing weight. I love the fact that I don't have periods with it, too. I never worry about TOM weight/bloating. [:

^^This lol!

While I don't love the thing (holy crampage for the first full year! Thank god that's finally sorted itself out!) I 100% prefer it to the other options I've tried. That said, when I got my s**t together and wanted to lose the weight, the Mirena did not hinder that in any way. I just started watching my intake and exercising the same way I would have without it.
  • lydt5880
    lydt5880 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Had Mirena installed 14/5/12, the installation was agony and so was the 1st week as i ended up hospitalised due to it getting infected within the 1st two days! My stomach has always been flat and my eating is better than ever and have always bee able to lose weight no problem- however i have gain 14lbs and 10 inches all over and look 6months pregnant.

I have not had any children but have had years of different BC and was recommended the Mirena. I am going to give it one more month of health eating and exercise and if nothing changes I am going back to my old BC.
  • ClaireSD35
    ClaireSD35 Posts: 38
    Options
    I've had my mirena for around 1.5 yrs. I am moody and gained around 30lbs since having it put in. I have lost over 50 lbs whilst it's still in though so don't believe it to be hindering my progress. I will be having it removed due to sleep issues and mood swings, oh and the fact that I spot/bleed constantly with mine!!

I worry that the hormone changes when i have it removed will halt my weight loss??
  • LisAllum
    LisAllum Posts: 55
    Options
    I've had my mirena for over 10 years now and am due (overdue) getting it replaced with #3! I've had no problems with weight gain due to the coil at all, that was because of what I have been shovelling into my face for years! The advantage for me is no periods, which has to be THE Best side effect ever! I've never had any side effects, pain or the bloating and cramping that others seem to have had. I've had no problem losing weight in the past at all with having the mirena and I don't foresee any problems this time either .. other than myself and my will power. :-)
  • shinynewme
    shinynewme Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost 5lb in the week I had my mirena removed!
  • khouston22
    khouston22 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I stumbled upon this because I am finally having mine removed next week after 6 months of general 'weirdness'!!

I had a copper coil for 5 years but with really, really heavy periods and so GP said 'let's try this' after a load of scans and blood tests showed no particular reason for the heavy bleeding - in fact they just put it down to 'me' as I have always had them so heavy.

2 children (usual weight gain), then lost 4 stone which was really inspiring. I had another 2 stone to lose and then I had the mirena fitted.

Within 5 days I had put on 10lbs and it has just 'stuck'. I permanently feel bloated, I have taken 3 pregnancy tests because I 'felt' pregnant; I have pain in my left side (which feels like a bloated ovary - ridiculous, yes I know!); spots; headaches; general wooziness; decreased sex drive. Anyone's GP who says lower sex drive after kids is 'expected' is bloody nonsensical - yes, you may be tireder but unless you really don't find your hubby attractive anymore, feeling like it would take a rocket to ignite you is really not acceptable when prior to IUD insertion you've been more than capable of having an active love life. I wouldn't be surprised if the mirena is the cause of many a divorce as wives become more like placid stepford wives everyday.

I haven't had a period since the day of insertion and this seems to be the critical factor for most people.

Anyway, as I say, I'm having it taken out next week and cannot wait because exercising heavily 4x per week and sitting under 1200kcals each day should allow my body to lose weight like it was previously.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Had Mirena installed 14/5/12, the installation was agony and so was the 1st week as i ended up hospitalised due to it getting infected within the 1st two days! My stomach has always been flat and my eating is better than ever and have always bee able to lose weight no problem- however i have gain 14lbs and 10 inches all over and look 6months pregnant.

I have not had any children but have had years of different BC and was recommended the Mirena. I am going to give it one more month of health eating and exercise and if nothing changes I am going back to my old BC.

No kids here. Had it installed in May 2011. The first month was very crampy. Cramping never went away.
    Had it uninstalled on 13/7/12 because I gave it a year.

Like you, I've been eating healthier than I ever have (with the exception of the ice pops that seem to help with the hot flashes), have been getting more exercise, and managed to pack on several pounds and inches around the belly that I looked pregnant. I used to have beautiful abs. I finally got tired of sucking in my "gut" in front of my husband, when he watched me struggle to get into clothes for work. I let the doctor know about this and his response suggested that I'm the first woman on the planet to every have an issue with it. (I usually see the NP, since she's less of a tool.)

It's been out / uninstalled a little over a week. I've already lost 2.5 inches of the belly that you mentioned plus .5 on my actual waist. Finally plateaued and dropped 1.5 of the 22 lbs I managed to gain and it's distributing itself a little differently. I was actually able to get into a pair of jeans that haven't fit in forever and my fingers don't look like sausages.

Since it's been out, I've been having wicked hot flashes and feel "mononucleosis tired" or "influenza tired" where the whole body just feels weak and achey, but I feel less like a space cadet and a little more human.
  • tashjs21
    Options

. Anyone's GP who says lower sex drive after kids is 'expected' is bloody nonsensical - yes, you may be tireder but unless you really don't find your hubby attractive anymore, feeling like it would take a rocket to ignite you is really not acceptable when prior to IUD insertion you've been more than capable of having an active love life. I wouldn't be surprised if the mirena is the cause of many a divorce as wives become more like placid stepford wives everyday.

I completely agree with this!! I told my doctor it was effective birth control because I never wanted to have sex. Can't get pregnant if there isn't any action going on. Within a week of having it removed my sex drive was back in swing and is steadily getting back to full force.
  • emtb319
    emtb319 Posts: 87
    Options
    I gained while I had the mirena in and I had a tough time losing weight over the 4 years I had it in...finally got it removed a few months ago due to excessive bleeding and cramping...I wish I could have had the research that's out now when I got the stupid thing put in, I would have never bothered with it.
  • khouston22
    Options

. Anyone's GP who says lower sex drive after kids is 'expected' is bloody nonsensical - yes, you may be tireder but unless you really don't find your hubby attractive anymore, feeling like it would take a rocket to ignite you is really not acceptable when prior to IUD insertion you've been more than capable of having an active love life. I wouldn't be surprised if the mirena is the cause of many a divorce as wives become more like placid stepford wives everyday.

I completely agree with this!! I told my doctor it was effective birth control because I never wanted to have sex. Can't get pregnant if there isn't any action going on. Within a week of having it removed my sex drive was back in swing and is steadily getting back to full force.

Better warn my husband!!!
  • khouston22
    Options
    Did you notice a difference after you had it removed? I have another week to wait, but can't stand the bloated tummy much longer....
  • tashjs21
    Options
    Did you notice a difference after you had it removed? I have another week to wait, but can't stand the bloated tummy much longer....

The difference was immediate with me. I don't know how to describe it other than it was like a pressure valve being released. The bloating went down drastically in the first few days and was gone completely in a week or so.

It just blows my mind how different it can be for everyone. A really good friend of mine loves hers and is already back to her pre-baby weight. :huh:
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I love mine and I have had no issues losing weight.
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've had Mirena for the last 5 years and Love it. Only cramps I had was the week after I got it placed. I can't claim I have gained weight on it since I have been on BC since I was 15 (to regulate the god awful periods). I can bet some weight gain was from the hormones but thats a given with anything affecting hormone imbalance.
    I will be getting my IUD pulled in November and get a new one reinserted. My OBGYN promises to sterlize me on my 30th bday so I never have to worry about being burdened with kids. (if you like kids- more power to you. I don't and would make a horrible mom.)

So I won't know until I'm 30 if being on BC for most of my life caused my weight gain but I would bet more money on my lazy butt who knew nothing of nutrition growing up and making bad choices. I am not gonna wait and see- making my lifestyle changes today :)

BUT as it was already said- everyBODY is different. I just hope everyone achieves their goals! Good luck!
  • birdsflyibike
    Options
    I just took mine out (like literally, just a few minutes ago, by myself) after too many side effects!
    Before I mention side effects, let me just say, getting it inserted was the WORST pain I've ever experienced in my ENTIRE life!!!
    I have a fairly high pain tolerance, and have had broken bones, but this was the most uncomfortable, most alien feeling ever!
    I have not given vaginal birth, so this could be the main reason it hurt so badly! Anyway, side effects:

1. Acne! :mad: Sure I had acne when I was younger, but it was going away. Then when I had Mirena inserted (02/12) it all started coming back! Ughh.
    2. Difficulty losing weight! No significant weight gain, but all my hard work of exercising and dieting had zero effect while using Mirena. So frustrating.:explode:
    3. Constant bleeding. Back to back periods.
    4. Lacking libido. :frown:
    and worst of all...
    5. Horrible cramps!:angry: It was just last night when I decided finally that I had had it! My boyfriend and I had just finished (well, HE finished, I DIDN'T (ANOTHER side effect of Mirena!)) and I had immediate severe cramping! Like, clutching my abdomen, curled over crying in pain type of severe cramping! So we talked about it, and decided to get it taken out (he suggested a Dr. but I'm just too stubborn).

So yes, after all that, I decided once and for all to just take the damn thing out! I'm happy I stumbled upon this post because I'm hoping to see some results in the weight loss department since taking the wretched thing out! I'll try to update on weight loss post-Mirena.

P.S. Taking it out was pretty simple.:smile: Initially, it took a while to find the strings and the searching felt uncomfortable (crampyness-wise, not in the "Oh I'm touching myself" uncomfortable). But once I found the strings and was able to get a grasp of them, it was as simple as taking out a tampon! Seriously, way better than paying $100+ to have a Dr. do the same damn thing!:smile:
  • karimah_jamila
    karimah_jamila Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I took mine out for the same reason and did notice a change in my midsection. It wasn't as bloated.