anyone using unsweetened almond milk?

Options
I got the idea that I was gonna start using almond milk again to make some smoothies. what I had done before, was use almond milk with sugar free pudding powder to make chocolate shakes....I added bananas. I tried the almond milk today using strawberries as that is what I had. It was so aweful I had to pour it all out.

I am trying to get away from using sugar free stuff with artificial sweeteners.......so really dont want to go back to the pudding mix. how do you get your almond milk stuff to taste good?

Replies

• paleirishmother
    Options
    I use it as substitute coffee creamer
  • jmalone71
    jmalone71 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk , are you sure it hasn't gone bad ??
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I like to use the unsweetened chocolate in my shakes and then the unsweetened original for cereal - I find it tastes better then milk.
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I don't like the flavor alone- it tastes very woody to me. I use the unsweetened vanilla in smoothies with protein powder. I'm having one now- almond milk, vanilla protein powder, an apple, spinach and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Tastes like the milk left over after a bowl of apple jacks.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened tastes good as-is. I dont know what to tell you since I've never tried to change it, sorry. Maybe try adding a little bit of a natural sugar substitute, like xylitol or stevia.
  • kristinacottle
    Options
    Personally I think a half packet of Equal makes it taste 10x better in a 6oz or 8oz cup. It's heaven.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I use it for cereal, coffee creamer, and protein shakes. It is awesome and delicious. I don't add any sweetener to it.

Almond Breeze unsweetened chocolate.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I use it as substitute coffee creamer

Unsweetened vanilla. I drink it every day in cereal, with some splenda for a treat... I think it would be awesome in a smoothie!
  • chrishunny
    chrishunny Posts: 1,855 Member
    Options
    I prefer silk unsweetened vanilla, now 30calories a cup (not sure why the change from 35)

I use it in coffee, cereal or smoothies. In smoothies I add stevia in the raw because I only use the almond milk, fruit and plain greek yogurt, the plain greek needs a bit of something IMO.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Personally I love unsweetened almond milk. But if you don't like it, don't eat it. I don't get why everyone keeps trying to force themselves to eat food they don't like.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have an almond milk steamer every morning with my breakfast. I just tried it with the unsweetened vanilla and I put in just a little bit of powdered non-dairy coffee creamer for flavor. I use less than half a serving so it is about 7 to 10 calories. It wasn't quite as yummy as the regular vanilla almond milk but I don't have a hard time drinking it either. Maybe you could try using some of that in your smoothies? I know that it isn't the healthiest option but I don't feel like one teaspoon a day is a big deal...there might be organic brands too but I haven't looked.
  • DaBigChief
    DaBigChief Posts: 146
    Options
    I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, trader joes brand. Use it in place of milk. Taste great
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I use it in everything I make instead of milk. I've never had issues with it not tasting good.

Was this the first time you'd tried almond milk? Maybe go for the original flavor before trying unsweetened?
  • Jackieonappy
    Jackieonappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use it everyday in my smoothies.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I use Blue Diamond Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla for everything. I don't mix any sweeteners with it and haven't found it bad-tasting. Maybe you had a bad batch of it.
  • stephanie_88
    Options
    I like the Almond Breeze coconut almond blend. 60 calories per cup.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I use it in all my smoothies, anything I bake that needs milk, pancakes, any food that needs it... i don't really taste any difference lol
  • nilla32zoe
    nilla32zoe Posts: 18
    Options
    I use the Silk unsweetened almond milk in my protein shakes every day. It tastes great and adds extra flavor! I do also add a "dash' of fat free milk! My daughter even drinks these shakes and she doesn't know the difference from regular milk.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I use Blue Diamond (or Trader Joes) unsweetened vanilla almond milk in cereal, coffee and smoothies.
    It taste great. And I prefer these brands over Silk brand.
    I've used the unsweetened chocolate almond milk in a smoothie before as well (and drank by itself). But because I don't use it for coffee or cereal, it went to waste.

Why don't you use a protein powder in your smoothies instead of the pudding?

I have a smoothie book which I need to peruse, but for now, my standard smoothie is
    unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    protein powder
    1/2 banana
    peanut butter (I prefer 'better n peanut butter, but if not available an all natural peanut butter works good)
    little bit of vanilla extract
    flax seed
    ice cubes
    (its actually a 'recipe' from Jillian Michaels plan)
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I tried the unsweetened and it tasted flat to me. I use the almond breeze vanilla and it seems to work fine.