Solo dude attending a yoga class, non-creepy style

Options
jesusHchris
jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
I have been psyching myself up to attend a local beginner's yoga class for a while now and have finally locked down a gym and schedule. I'd like to also try out their "restorative yoga" class after I am not a complete n00b. This has been suggested to me for many reasons - to improve my balance and focus while kicking people, stress relief, and core strength. I also think it would help with my goal of mastering planche pushups.

I've got to admit it terrifies me, though. I don't mind looking like an idiot for a little while, but there is a little fear of that. I also don't want to intrude on what is typically a chick-fest and look like I'm there to perv out on girls while they are just trying to relax.

I do want to attend a class as opposed to just home videos (I've tried a few).

Ladies - do guys come to your yoga classes? How do you feel about it? What should I wear to not look like a tool? Any other tips on how to act?

Thanks!

Replies

• awanderer
    awanderer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My classes always have a guy or two, everyone is pretty focused on the instructor so it never seems weird. If it's your first class, let the teacher know so she can give a little extra explanation instead of just pose names so you can keep up. The guys usually wear a t-shirt & shorts, just regular gym wear but with bare feet. Good luck!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've gone to a few yoga classes at my gym. There's always been 2-3 men in the class. Don't worry about it. I've never assumed they were there to ogle me. It's not like its a zumba class or something. :laugh:
  • drgmac
    drgmac Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I really applaud you for taking this class, and this is a serious post, given all of the goofy stuff I say...so listen up: I don't take yoga, but I started a circuit class a few weeks ago. My point in telling you this is, I am the most ungraceful 45 year old out there and no one really cares. Everyone is so focused on what he or she is doing, that no one has time to see that I am falling off of my left foot and into a wall. I think you will be just fine and that you will put everything you've got into it...once you are there I bet it will be better than you thought. Good luck, Chris!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. :)

I'm off to the park with my dog, will check thread later.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    You will benefit tremendously from Yoga. Who cares what the ladies in the class think? Focus on you and what you stand to get out of adding yoga to your workouts. Own your space :)
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't staring the ladies down, no one will pay any attention to you. Let me recommend that if you are wearing baggy shorts, please also wear underwear. Yoga is not always modest, and you don't want anyone looking up the leg of your shorts at your junk. :)
  • KatieG97
    KatieG97 Posts: 6
    Options
    In every yoga class I've gone to there are always a few guys, never really thought about it. Don't worry, none of the girls are gonna be giving you dirty looks, go for it!
  • jmoneycgt
    jmoneycgt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't staring the ladies down, no one will pay any attention to you. Let me recommend that if you are wearing baggy shorts, please also wear underwear. Yoga is not always modest, and you don't want anyone looking up the leg of your shorts at your junk. :)

Or compression shorts. Cover the goods, yo.
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    We usually have a guy or two in our classes! Doesnt seem pervy at all.. enjoy!
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    we have a guy that attends ours, we give him a hard time. he just wears his reg. gym clothes. our yoga class is candle lit so nobody can really see ya.
    you will be amazed by the benefits of it! good luck on your journey!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would worry me. I don't do yoga, but if I did, I would probably just look, go, "Oh neat. A dude is here." And then continue on with my thing.
  • clairetwoboys
    clairetwoboys Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not at all bothered by guys in my yoga class but just to reiterate what someone said up thread - wear underpants under your shorts - all luggage must be stowed!
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've been practicing yoga now for over two years. Where I go, it is not unusual to have more than half the class men. I do vinyassa heated yoga and it is one of the best and toughest workouts you will ever get. It's very centered on what you are doing. I don't even notice what the others are doing in the class and I'm sure no one is worrying about how good or bad I am doing. My advice on clothes is just to wear enough to cover up when you are bending and doing the splits. Longer shorts and a tank top work well. If you have a Lulu Lemon Athletica store in your area, they can get you into the right clothes. Did I mention the stress relief from yoga is amazing?! Jump right in, you are going to love it!
  • crystalmath
    Options
    There are always a few guys in the yoga classes I go to as well, including my husband. There is never any feelings of awkwardness or anything, they are just members of the class. They wear normal workout clothes (you probably don't want to wear super short baggy shorts though). I like to wear the type of shorts that hug the skin (sort of like biker shorts) so my underwear don't show, though they might not be as comfortable for a guy.

My husband also attends the pilates class with me, and so far he has been the only guy there. There haven't been any complaints or weirdness there either.

Have fun!
  • joypeaceloveall
    Options
    There are always a few men in the yoga classes that I have gone to. Some of the teachers are men as well. Yoga is awesome and I think you should go for it. Arrive a little early and let the teacher know before class that it is your first time in that class. have fun!
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Perv? no. If anything, I might look at a guy in my class like "hmm, he looks flexible and strong... wonder if he's single?" :wink:
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    All luggage must be stowed!

:laugh: Very true!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Perv? no. If anything, I might look at a guy in my class like "hmm, he looks flexible and strong... wonder if he's single?" :wink:

LOL! Me, too!

There are usually plenty of men in the yoga classes I've taken. And yoga by it's nature is very non-judgmental, so you'd probably get less 'looks' than in step or Body Pump class.

Google a pic of downward dog pose. Wear a shirt that won't be sliding over your head in that, and shorts that cover well, too. I've seen more manhood than I care to in classes. :ohwell:
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Given your pic and the reference to kicking people, I'm guessing some kind of kick boxer? Gi pants would probably give you the range of motion you need while ensuring that that everything stays nicely covered.
  • 20diane
    20diane Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My son has been attending a group yoga session for 8 years he is the only guy there. NO problems