50-60 olds needing to lose 50

Options

Replies

• winger55
    winger55 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 55 . I started this two weeks ago at 230. ( WOW) I am 5'9". Right now I am at 222. I know the weight loss is going to slow way down- but I do feel better about me now that I am working on it. I set a smaller goal first, to get to 199. Once I am there I will change my goal for the next 20 lbs.
  • CocoKeys
    CocoKeys Posts: 3
    Options
    The Michelan (sp.?) Avatar is great. Congratulations on the weight loss. I started a week ago and lost 6. I really want to make this work.
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! 51 and ready to lose 25 more. Let's do this! Best wishes!
  • groog
    groog Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    right ther with you
  • Coach74sb
    Coach74sb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Update: it's been a little over 3 months since my first reply and I am now down almost 37 pounds. Yes, it is possible to lose weight and get fit when you're over 60 ... and it's very important to keep the weight down because of all of the "new" health challenges that face us when we are overweight.

Good luck everyone!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    58 yo with around 60 to lose, lost all but around 15. Feel free to send a request.
  • czken
    czken Posts: 8
    Options
    I'll be 64 in about two weeks and want to lose 60 lbs. I started a week ago and have lost about six of those pounds. Does that mean I only have ten weeks to go? ;~)
    I'm on medications for Diabetes 2, High Blood Pressure and High Cholesterol. I hope to get off or greatly reduce dosages by the end of the year. I've been heavy all my life and finally think I've found the resolve to make the necessary changes to restore myself to health and a much longer, enjoyable life.
  • rosieintotnes
    Options
    i am 62 and 14st 3lbs, want to get to 10st by my next birthday which is in april non of my friends want to loose weight but they are happy as they are and i am not. My 10 year old dog can out run me! i would love to be part of the group. Thanks Rosie
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm 56 and have been using MFP since the end of January. I'm down 30 lb and am deliberately doing this slowly with an eye to the long term. Check my profile and send a friend request if you feel that we could be of help to each other. Regardless, welcome and every success!
  • TOPsRocks
    TOPsRocks Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    51 year old lady here. I lost 57 lbs before recently joining MFP. Have 63 +/- to go. Sure is a lot tougher in the good ole 50s than was in the 30s,

We just have to work harder to get there. . .On my way!

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • TeTeAngel
    TeTeAngel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am 58 years old. I have lost 26 pounds so far. The past few months despite eating nutriously and exercising 5 or more days a week I have not lost anything. It's very discouraging. :cry: I keep reminding myself of the fact that my routine is good for my body. I keep it up with the hope that some day I will see results. Over the past few months I have seen my clothes get looser, some to the point they are an unflattering fit. I so very much want to see the scale go down.

Feel free to add me as a friend. We can support each other's efforts getting the pounds off.
  • gayelstringer
    Options
    Im 56 and I need to loose 25 lbs , Im having a hard time getting started any tips???
  • bayviewjulie
    Options
    Same here, 55. Planning on losing 50-60 pounds. Just took a nice two hour walk down at the lakefront and loved the feeling of the sweat pouring out of me. Came home, took a shower, and had some ice water and a couple of crackers with some garlic hummus. Feeling good!
  • Timby1
    Timby1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I think there are many like you...including me! I'm 50 and have struggled with weight all my life. I'm at 196 this am, goal is 150. I've been on here for a bit over a week and exercising every day, but not loosing. I know there are several things that can affect the number, and it's not really about the number but getting healthy. That's my real goal.

I don't know if you all know, but there is a group for 50+ that is in the motivation and support forum.

I can use all the friends I can get in this journey, so any that want to add me as a friend - go for it. I especially appreciate people my age dealing with the same kind of stuff that I'm dealing with. I get excited and motivated to read the success stories, but it is even more meaningful when it's someone in a similar situation to my life. Add me - let's be friends and encourage each other!:flowerforyou:
  • 26Nirak
    26Nirak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    We seem to be in good company...sometimes I feel like I am the only one - I pretty much am in my circle of folks....

Turned 50 in May and need to lose 66 pounds. I am worried about the road I have been going down until 11 days ago - ending in diabetes, morbid obesity and lack of life. I've been getting down to business for 11 days now and am feeling much better and stronger already.

This is it - we aren't getting any younger!!

Karin
  • 26Nirak
    26Nirak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just had same health scare as you,got from 245 stone to 210 got to lose between 40-50 pounds more.Giving up smoking 10 years ago and injurying my spine did not help,hope you get to your goal cheers burty

Your picture made me laugh....this one look we all have in common one day!!!
    Congrats on quitting smoking!!!
  • gayelstringer
    Options
    Thats great !!!
  • gayelstringer
    Options
    I like you :) and Im like you !!!!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    50 and about half way to my goal.
  • Nighthawk4
    Nighthawk4 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    59 in two days time.

Even worse, as we get older, our BMR gets lower - so we have to eat even less.

Just past half way to my goal so far.