Help solve a fight.

Options
amruden
amruden Posts: 228 Member
Help solve a fight.

You will no gain weight if you eat a NO fat diet, and eat 10,000 calories.
Because it is the Fat in food that stored as Fat.

What is your thought on this statement!?

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It's completely idiotic.

Excess energy (calories) are stored as fat, regardless of if they come from fat, carbs or protein.
  • amruden
    Options
    Thank you.

Now how are excess calories stored??

EDIT: beat me to it!!
  • goddamnelectric
    Options
    You can't eat that many cals without gaining whether or not you include fats.
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    **slaps head** the person who said that needs a couple of serious health classes lol
  • amruden
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL!!
  • Jeramie1
    Jeramie1 Posts: 8
    Options
    How does my body take my baby carrot and turn it into a glob of fat?
    If my body does take all of the extra calories I eat and turn it into fat, why do I poo?
    If I were to eat 10,000 cals of carrots in one day, will I gain 3 lbs of body fat?

Please, don't respond "your an idiot" or something else just as clever. This isn't craigslist.
    I know the answer, and asking for information supporting your own reasoning. Thank you
  • JuneBPrice
    JuneBPrice Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Lies. Remember that episode of Seinfeld?
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    That is literally one of the stupidest things I have ever read.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Actually I would like to ask the same question as Jeramie, because I don't know the answer and I think it's a valid point
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Didn't somebody recently post the same thing as the OP?
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Didn't somebody recently post the same thing as the OP?
    I think that one was that you can't gain weight if all you eat is 10,000 calories of fat. I think his premise was that fat doesn't cause an insulin reaction...or something like that.
  • ScottCadi
    ScottCadi Posts: 56
    Options
    If my body does take all of the extra calories I eat and turn it into fat, why do I poo?
    If I were to eat 10,000 cals of carrots in one day, will I gain 3 lbs of body fat?

Please, don't respond "your an idiot" or something else just as clever. This isn't craigslist.
    I know the answer, and asking for information supporting your own reasoning. Thank you

The baby carrot has a certain amount of complex carb in it. That carb lets the body know that the pancreas needs to supply insulin, which in turn tells the blood to bring that to the muscles or the liver to process it. It burns about 10% of it in the process, than, if you're a super athlete, burns a smaller percentage into glucosage (spelling/word?), which is stored in the muscle. The rest gets burned as energy or converted into fat.

You won't gain 3 pounds, you probably won't gain anything but a ruptured rectum from the remains (fiber cannot be processed by the body, and helps flush the bowels), but theoretically, you could gain a modest amount.
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When you have spare cash at the end of the week, you save it, and the amount gets bigger.

If you spend it, nothing to save
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

The baby carrot has a certain amount of complex carb in it. That carb lets the body know that the pancreas needs to supply insulin, which in turn tells the blood to bring that to the muscles or the liver to process it. It burns about 10% of it in the process, than, if you're a super athlete, burns a smaller percentage into glucosage (spelling/word?), which is stored in the muscle. The rest gets burned as energy or converted into fat.

You won't gain 3 pounds, you probably won't gain anything but a ruptured rectum from the remains (fiber cannot be processed by the body, and helps flush the bowels), but theoretically, you could gain a modest amount.

Heh, there we go! Thank you!
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    Each body has a fats cells. Fat cells store energy. We consume units of energy called calories. It doesn't matter where those calories are coming from, it is all stored in the body in the fat cells.

As we burn off calories, it uses that stored energy to provide the body with the fuel it needs to do those tasks. If your intake of calories is more than what you spend, your body will store the calories in these fats cells for later use. Should this be a regular occurrence, you gain weight because of all the stored calories.

Regardless if the calories come from fats, carbohydrates or proteins, the extra calories are stored as fat in fat cells. When your body needs to use stored fat for energy, fat is released from the cells and the cells shrink. This is why you look leaner when you lose body fat - because your fat cells are now smaller.
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    Help solve a fight.

You will no gain weight if you eat a NO fat diet, and eat 10,000 calories.
    Because it is the Fat in food that stored as Fat.

What is your thought on this statement!?

It's basic nutrition. All macronutrients contain calories.

Protein=4 kcals/gm
    Carbohydrate=4 kcals/gm
    Fat=9 kcals/gm
    Alcohol=7 kcals/gm

So yes, protein and carbohydrates contain fewer calories per gram...the reason many people lean toward a low fat (or...I have to say IMPOSSIBLE "No Fat") diet is because fat is actually more difficult to break down than carbohydrate.

That being said, it's impossible to achieve a no fat diet...fat is in small amounts in lots of food that you may not think about.

In the end it's like money. Calories can be spent in different areas. Fat has more calories per gram so maybe that's the reasoning...but I would have to say that whoever is making this statement obviously has no clue what they are talking about.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Your body turns any excess calories into fat. Doesn't matter what you eat. it makes poo because every food has bits your body can't use. It has to come out , it removes toxins. you need to eat some fat because your brain fuels itself with it. It's pretty easy to get this information from your public library. Or google. not a matter of intelligence, just knowledge.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I should also add that having a high fat diet will increase your total caloric intake since the number of calories per fat gram is much higher than carbs/protien.

Fat: 1 gram = 9 calories
    Protein: 1 gram = 4 calories
    Carbohydrates: 1 gram = 4 calories
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    Your body turns any excess calories into fat. Doesn't matter what you eat. it makes poo because every food has bits your body can't use. It has to come out , it removes toxins. you need to eat some fat because your brain fuels itself with it. It's pretty easy to get this information from your public library. Or google. not a matter of intelligence, just knowledge.

Yes...that.
  • Jeramie1
    Jeramie1 Posts: 8
    Options
    I was the other person having the discussion with the OP. My dietician and I have had several conversations about this (I actually have been to a few of them over the years). I have done my own research into the subject as well. It is a multi-layered question without any good answer.
    Here is how it can be explained for those of you whom just reply with nonsensical replies. Let me preface this by saying "this is not the published results from my 20 year study from a scientific view". It is like one of those yogurts with real fruit. You have to get through the yogurt on top (cals) before you can get to the fruit on the bottom (fat). Everybody is different. Some have more yogurt to burn before they get to the fruit, others have less. Some people have a yogurt that comes pre-mixed.
    My point to the OP was that just because somebody eats 10,000 cals in a day or even per day does not automatically mean you will be obese. To prove my point I used baby carrots as an example. I am sure I would have gotten a different response if I used something that is full of fat like....deep fried chicken skin or deep fried bacon.