Zumba class - anybody takes zumba classes?

Options

Replies

• faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I take Zumba at the YMCA here. I am not sure if I like it or not yet but it gives you a great workout.
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba; it is a high calorie burn and so much fun!
  • juleana1
    juleana1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I take land zumba once a week and aqua zumba two times. Yes, there is aqua zumba. Both are a really fun high-calorie burn class. The time will fly by. Have fun!!
  • SLewis74
    SLewis74 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba for the past 2 years and I absolutely LOVE it!!!! It works for anyone, any body type, any weight, any athletic level. My best advice, start out slow and work at your own pace. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll "advance" and can start doing it at a higher impact. Don't start out expecting too much too fast until you've had a chance to get your body coordinated and you learn the routines. Once you learn the routines, then you can focus on the different areas of your body that the "routine" is trying to tone.

Don't get too overwhelmed with the first class, it'll take 3 or 4 classes to really become accustom to what Zumba is all about. If you stick with it you'll be pleasantly surprised at the result you see. I am amazed at how differently my body has changed in such a short amount of time!!

Most definitely take a water bottle and maybe a small towel!! Be prepared to sweat, but most importantly to have a great time!!

Enjoy! Keep us posted on what you think!!!
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I do it at home on the wii but I also go to class 2 x week, 2 different instructors. Honestly, it's much more fun to go to a class. It's so much fun. Don't worry about what other people are doing. Trust me they aren't looking at you or judging you. Everyone is just having a good time and probably just trying to keep pace. I have one really good instructor and one mediocre. Even with the mediocre instructor I keep going just because I want the music and I want to dance. My last choice is at home with wii. It's lonely and I don't have a great sound system so the music isn't as engaging. Regardless of what you choose to do just do it. It's so much fun.
  • mpholld6
    mpholld6 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am an Instructor for Aqua Zumba and Zumba. They are both amazing workouts! If you are worried about your knees, you can always try the Aqua Zumba class first, it's a little less strenious on them. The regular Zumba class is amazing as well, but does require you to be a little more flexable with your body because Zumba is based on Latin rythms, like salsa, merengue, etc. I'd say go for it! You'll never know if it is for you until you try it, right?!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,844 Member
    Options
    I love zumba! If the knees need to be babied, just step instead of bouncing on the bouncy moves. The first time you will have a hard time with the steps and with keeping up, but just enjoy yourself and keep moning. I do "Zumba Gold" which is supposed to easier on the joints. I take one class a week because I like to do other things, too, but some folks go every day. Different instructors definitely make for a different experience. I have a favorite, but the others are okay, too.

Enjoy!
  • brm12450
    brm12450 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been doing zumba twice a week for the last 2 years. My main advice is stand closer to the front of the class. don't go in the back. Remember everything is a pattern that repeats a few times a song. try to go in the same direction. when people jump keep your toes on the ground and kinda bounce. if you can't see the instructor too well, look for the people who seem to know what they are doing and try to follow them. those people will be obvious after a couple of song. Bring water and a towel. sometimes i bring a frozen wash cloth. Just have fun and don't be intimidated cause everyone has their first time and NO ONE IS LOOKING AT YOU.
  • scottydewwannalosewt
    scottydewwannalosewt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    it's funny that you should mention not doing the moves right. That's going to take a while to get the moves down. I'm a guick learner but my hips and my butt just don't want to move in certain directions. I did read that you should pretend that when your at the gym you should think like nobody's watching so I think that's going to be good advice I can hold on to let go of my inhibitions to shake my stuff.

Scott
  • scottydewwannalosewt
    Options
    TinkrBelz

My knees were so sore after I worked out with Zumba that first day. What advice can you give me so that my knees aren't so sore next time? I'm a big guy (320) so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it, but there should be something I can do so they aren't as sore next time.

Scott
  • scottydewwannalosewt
    Options
    What would you recommend as a beginner watching zumba? Should I be behind the instructor or in front of the instuctor or doesn't it really matter where you stand?

Scott
  • scottydewwannalosewt
    Options
    shanae

I would love to shake my hips. But to be honest I need to learn how to do it because they ain't moving. Maybe with a few more practice sessions I'll figure it out and I'll be able to start shaking my hips. Right now I'll have to be content with watching and trying to figure it out on my own until I can get them relaxed enough to start moving on their own.

Scott
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Depending on your fitness level, you can burn up to 800 calories in an hour (e.g. higher jumps and lower squats = more calories burned). However, most hover in the 400-600/hour. Like another commentator wrote, don't feel discouraged or embarrassed if you struggle. It takes time and eventually you learn everything pretty well. Every instructor and routine is different, so you may want to try a couple different instructors. I like to mix it in to diversify my cardio and confuse my muscles a bit. Plus it helps when you hit a real dance floor. :) Enjoy!

Yeah I used to burn more but I lost a lot and now if I burn 600 I'm through the roof...I burn around 450-525 most even intense classes now. However, I love it soo soo much I can't imagine keeping motivated w/o zumba.
  • FitRican
    FitRican Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yesterdya when I went to the YMCA for my regular swimming routine. I noticed they were dancing and when I looked at the group exercise schedule the name of what they were doing was a zumba class. I have thought about taking some dancing at home so tomorrow I'm taking the first step and trying to add zumba dance class to my exercise routine. It looks pretty strenous. I hope it's not too hard on my knees. That's going to be my biggest concern.

I'd love to hear what you have to suggest since tomorrow will be first routine and what I should be on the lookout for (i.e. I'm planning on bringing my water bottle to stay hydrated).

Scott :drinker:

I love ZUMBA, my wife is an instructor an I attend her classes. But if like me, you have knee issues, I recommend you to be careful. Some Zumba instructors have no fitness certifications at all, or little or no formal education or knowledge of group training. Make sure you train with a certified group fitness instructor, not just a Zumba licensed instructor. I do Zumba at my own pace, I am a god dancer and can perform all moves, but safe workouts come first. .
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy zumba but I cannot seem to find a class that gives me a hard work out. They all seem so pedestrian. I barely break out into a sweat, and I bounce out of there feeling deflated. I want to pushed hard and I want feel have worked out.

I signed up to boot camp, thought Id give that a go
  • nerolimoon
    nerolimoon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been doling zumba for around 3 months. I do a "zumba - lite" class once a week, it's 45 mins and is meant for people who are on the older side or who, like me, are new to exercise or haven't exercised for a while. I think the idea is that you eventually upgrade to the normal, 60 mins class. I do enjoy it, even though I'm not very good at dancing or co-ordination, but the instuctors make everyone feel at home.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Zumba is fun..and dont expect to learn the stuff overnight..heck..I still can't get my feet to go one way..and arms to go another...So..just enjoy it..and have fun! And its ok to feel weird..I do..still..but..at the end of the day...I get a burn close to my bootcamp classes...and those classes aint no joke!

I had issues with my one knee in the past...and have never felt any pain with Zumba...If they maybe go low with a move..just modify..and dont put that pressure on your knees... Just dont push it..at first :) When in doubt..just tap your feet and twirl around..hehe and remember...shake that bootie! woot woot!
  • jhohn96
    jhohn96 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Zumba is such a great workout! You hardly notice that you're working out because you're too busy shaking it :tongue:
  • ErinLua
    ErinLua Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba three times a week, I feel wonderful after. It's so much fun!
  • ErinLua
    ErinLua Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I started Zumba I stood in the middle but off to the right against the wall. That way I could see the instructor and not feel too insecure about my moves. Sometimes it helps to find someone in the class who knows the moves and stand behind them. Don't be afraid to stop and watch the steps then slowly try to copy them. You'll get it! As long as you are moving and having a good time that's all that matters :)