Canned Tuna Help

Options

Replies

• skwhatley
    skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Tuna Burgers- using canned tuna
    I found this recipe on allrecipes.com... I substituted light Miracle Whip for regular mayonnaise, which along with ketchup and other seasonings gave this a nice tangy flavor... Excellent cheap meal!

Minutes to Prepare: 45Minutes to Cook: 8Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients
    2 six oz cans Tuna, in water
    2 large eGgs
    1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    1/3 cup minced onion
    1/4 cup chopped red bell peppers
    1/2 cup light miracle whip
    4 tbsps ketchup
    1 tsp dill weed, dry
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    Hot pepper sauce to taste (3 dashes)
    Worcestershire sauce to tast (3 dashes)

Directions
    1. Combine tuna, egg, bread crumbs, onion, celery, red bell pepper, mayonnaise, chili sauce, dill, salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to make the patties easier to handle, if desired.

2. Shape into 8 patties (mixture will be very soft and delicate).

3. Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray; fry tuna patties for about 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. These are fragile, so be careful when turning them.

Serve on buns with tomato slices and lettuce leaves, if desired.

Serving Size: 8 patties

Number of Servings: 8

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 154.3
    Total Fat: 3.9 g
    Cholesterol: 62.8 mg
    Sodium: 766.9 mg
    Total Carbs: 15.2 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.7 g
    Protein: 14.3 g

Hope this helps!!!!!!

bumping this recipe for later. sounds delish and easy.
  • aimeem2
    aimeem2 Posts: 35
    Options
    I mix one can with one wholly guacamole 100 calorie pack and serve it on a few romaine leaves. Protein, healthy fats and veggies!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    a box of mac and cheese, any brand. make it a stir in the tuna. Its yummy, I just add some pepper.

In our house growing up we call this "red neck casserole" and it included a can of drained peas. Love it!!!

lol we just called it "tuna mac" Peas, were not ate in my home growing up. My maiden name is "Pease" and my dad would always say not to eat "peas" cause then your eating our family. My dad is crazy, I know. Anyways, I eat peas all the time now :smile:
  • kureiko
    kureiko Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    All these ideas for tuna sound so yummy. Might have to pick some up next time I go shopping!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I like to make something close to a Salade Nicoise . . . the only essential ingredients of which are lettuce, tuna, green beans, and boiled potatoes.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/nicoise_salad/
  • cheetararocks
    Options
    A tuna burrito - nuke with a lil bit of cheese - add salsa and avocado - yum.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all of the ideas guys! Some great sounding stuff here. Will definitely have to try them out
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    a box of mac and cheese, any brand. make it a stir in the tuna. Its yummy, I just add some pepper.

In our house growing up we call this "red neck casserole" and it included a can of drained peas. Love it!!!

Mac & Cheese w/tuna and peas is one of my son's favorite meals. We use frozen peas - added when you boil the macaroni
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Tuna (choose those in mineral water) in pasta (fettucini or capellini) with herbs (dill, oregano, parsley), with garlic.

Tuna with egg (hard boiled) and potato salad - add a dash of salt and pepper and spoonful of low fat mayo

Mix your tuna with low fat mayo, salt and pepper - on a toasted whole wheat bread, lay with cucumber and tomato.

Hard boiled egg filled with tuna mix (mix the egg yolk with tuna and mayo - add pepper and salt), refill your hard boiled egg with the tuna mix.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Straight from the can.
  • briteshadow
    Options
    My ex. used to eat tuna and cottage cheese. It was so so.
  • MDamoun
    MDamoun Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    1) tuna out of can with all brine water/oil drained (I prefer the one without oil)
    2) squeeze one whole lemon (big one)
    3) mix with plain boiled rice (2/3 of the Tuna by volume)
    4) just tiny pinch of salt

If required heat using microwave.

Bon Appetit
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thanks for recipes :smile:
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I mix it with a little bit of Mayo..half a tbsp and put it on a bowl full of greens or spinach and eat....don't need dressing as the mayo takes care of that. It's simple and delish...
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've been eating this for lunch a lot:

Half a can of tuna + half a mashed avocado, (healthier than mayonnaise ;P,) with some tabasco~ I make a sandwich out of it ^^.

PS: In that picture you REALLY look like Daniel Tosh from Tosh.0 @.@.
  • TiffanyAching
    TiffanyAching Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    love tuna. i like it with a tin of tomatoes, pasta and bit of cream cheese/creme fraiche. with a jacket potato you cant beat it, pitta pizzas, with rice, sweetcorn and soy sauce. a tuna and cheese toastie is beautiful but not the healthy option (sadly)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Mash avocado and mix in tuna and chilli sauce (or, we buy tuna with chilli oil). Add a bit of lemon juice and cracked pepper and use it in a sandwich or as a dip, or it would probably be great wrapped up in lettuce leaves for a snack.

Last night's dinner was a home made tomato sauce (onion, garlic, capsicum, zucchini, mushroom, wine, tinned tomato) with a can of (chilli) tuna mixed through. Served with pasta, but good with rice or just on it's own.

Baked potato with tuna, shredded lettuce and a bit of grated cheese.

Tuna patties - tuna mixed with mashed potato, grated veggies (zucchini, carrot, onion) and an egg. Pan fry in a non stick pan.
  • bbrat333
    bbrat333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Tuna Burgers- using canned tuna
    I found this recipe on allrecipes.com... I substituted light Miracle Whip for regular mayonnaise, which along with ketchup and other seasonings gave this a nice tangy flavor... Excellent cheap meal!

Minutes to Prepare: 45Minutes to Cook: 8Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients
    2 six oz cans Tuna, in water
    2 large eGgs
    1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    1/3 cup minced onion
    1/4 cup chopped red bell peppers
    1/2 cup light miracle whip
    4 tbsps ketchup
    1 tsp dill weed, dry
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    Hot pepper sauce to taste (3 dashes)
    Worcestershire sauce to tast (3 dashes)

Directions
    1. Combine tuna, egg, bread crumbs, onion, celery, red bell pepper, mayonnaise, chili sauce, dill, salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to make the patties easier to handle, if desired.

2. Shape into 8 patties (mixture will be very soft and delicate).

3. Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray; fry tuna patties for about 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. These are fragile, so be careful when turning them.

Serve on buns with tomato slices and lettuce leaves, if desired.

Serving Size: 8 patties

Number of Servings: 8

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 154.3
    Total Fat: 3.9 g
    Cholesterol: 62.8 mg
    Sodium: 766.9 mg
    Total Carbs: 15.2 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.7 g
    Protein: 14.3 g

Hope this helps!!!!!!

bumping this recipe for later. sounds delish and easy.

Ditto
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Bump
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bump for later - thanks!