Purpose of dating?

Options

Replies

• alleycat88
    alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Sex and having someone to share your days with.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    For me, it's to find the ultimate companion and best friend who you can share everything with and love in a deep and profound way.

Everyone else's reasons for dating are perfectly valid as well though!
  • captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    to find someone who annoys the *kitten* out of you, but that you like just enough not to send to an early grave...? Is that it?
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I think the purpose is companionship that will hopefully lead to marriage. The benefit, is sex.
  • Meloyelo2010
    Meloyelo2010 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Procreation if not stimulation in between birth and death.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    The last time I dated (a couple years ago when my husband and I were seperated) I was honestly just wanting somebody to talk to.. Someone that would listen to me.. I guess that's what I really look for the most.. companionship.
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Don't know anymore, haven't dated in a good long while. Guess I'll figure out what I want from it when I start again.

This! LOL!!!
  • DaSavedSinner
    DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    In all honestly I have always been a romantic and caring guy...its been my curse. I am an Empath so I can relate to people's feeling easily and sometime too easily, This caused many times with dating that I have felt...Used. Its a hard thing to admit as a guy but there are some of us that do love with all our hearts and get hurt because of it. I was in an ending divorce....due the previous staement, and while this was happening I was on an online dating site but not for dating just to find a friend to talk to.....That friend and I fell in love and have been married for 2.5 years and together for over 4 years total. This also includes me being the ONLY father in her daughters life. Don't look for love you will only find pain look for a friends to spend your days with and one day love with find you.

But if I had to pick whats important......

Companionship and a loving partner, learning life lessons together while enjoying the time together.

1 Corinthians 13:4–8a
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
  • LatinaButterfly
    LatinaButterfly Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I believe dating is to find a marriage mate. :)
  • Stinaa91
    Stinaa91 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    My purpose of dating... My boyfriend is my best friend, without him I'd be lost.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Companionship and marriage. I wouldn't continue dating somebody if I could not see a future with them even if I don't plan on marriage for quite a while.
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    In all honestly I have always been a romantic and caring guy...its been my curse. I am an Empath so I can relate to people's feeling easily and sometime too easily, This caused many times with dating that I have felt...Used. Its a hard thing to admit as a guy but there are some of us that do love with all our hearts and get hurt because of it. I was in an ending divorce....due the previous staement, and while this was happening I was on an online dating site but not for dating just to find a friend to talk to.....That friend and I fell in love and have been married for 2.5 years and together for over 4 years total. This also includes me being the ONLY father in her daughters life. Don't look for love you will only find pain look for a friends to spend your days with and one day love with find you.

But if I had to pick whats important......

Companionship and a loving partner, learning life lessons together while enjoying the time together.

1 Corinthians 13:4–8a
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

I was exactly like that too until women made me cold. Ive seen too much.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Learning how to love and be loved. And by love, I go by that verse posted earlier:

It's not easy
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I think it's to get to know each other and figure out if you're compatible enough to stay together forever or not.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

I don't need a man in my life, I'm a whole person in my own right. Yes the company would be nice, but I have a ways to go yet, to be the best person I can possibly be, FOR ME, before I can share that with anyone else.

True words
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get married, no more children, I like to travel with some friends or my daughter but am pretty confident traveling on my own, I attend concerts and shows the same as travel so I don't really see any point in dating..... As long as there are always batteries :blushing:
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Partnership. I like the word "companionship", but I have plenty of friends, family, etc. to keep me company. I want someone on my team to share mutual experience, take on the world, overcome struggles and celebrate in triumph. i want someone who, at the end of the next 30 years, will know exactly where I am coming from, what we went through, and can hopefully laugh about it right along with me.

Ironically, I met me wife when I was ABSOLUTELY 100% not interested in dating, I was just hoping to find a friendship circle outside of my profession. She is far beyond any partner I could have dreamed up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Free BJ's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BodybyPlants
    BodybyPlants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The point of dating, at least for me, is to find that one person you are meant to be with for the rest of your life...
  • chimpy_chimp
    chimpy_chimp Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    For me, the purpose is to find a marriage partner. It can take years of dating the same person before you are sure.