Oatmeal & Peanutbutter?

Options

Replies

• tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I make overnight oatmeal and put a serving of PB2 w/ cocoa in it. Major yummy!

ETA: I also like to add some apple chunks to it

This is exactly what I do! I always have some cocoa and yummy fruit in my oatmeal like apples, strawberries, or blueberries. Delicious!
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try to do that unless you want to *kitten* your pants. j/k
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I make room in my caloric budget for peanut butter.. it's one of my most favorite things. On toasted double fiber english muffins, or my "whipped banana" oatmeal:

1 cup water
    1/2 really ripe medium banana (50 cals)
    1/3 cup old-fashioned oats (113 cals)
    2 tsp peanut butter (63 cals)
    1 tsp chia seed (20 cals)
    1/4 cup 1% milk (28 cals)
    handful chopped strawberries, berries, apple, fruit of choice. (4 medium strawberries= 15 cals)
    (I also like 1/4 cup 1% fat cottage cheese= 40 cals)

total= 329 cals. Change the amounts, or ingredients to suit your needs.

- Put water in pot, add chopped banana; when boiling add oats, lower heat to low/ medium & set timer for 5 minutes.

- Add 1 tbsn water to 1 tsp chia seeds in a bowl/container (you want them to swell/expand).

- In the bowl you're going to eat out of, add the peanut butter, chopped strawberries/fruit (and cottage cheese, if you want- it's good!).

- When the timer goes off, use a utensil to whip the oat/ banana mixture, then cook for 1-2 minutes more if you like your oats less "soupy". Add oats to bowl, mix everything up.. the peanut butter is sooooo NUMMY melted into the oats.. you could even let it melt on top, instead of adding to bottom of bowl.

- I like to add the milk on top of my oats (helps cool it down), then I add the chia (you don't want to "cook" the chia, it ruins the benefit).

I think this would be good with nuts/dried fruit, instead of the extra fruit, too.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I would stick to just oatmeal for its less calories instead of adding PB to it. That is for those that are counting calories. Keep in mind, those that are counting calories you need 1 protein and 1 Carb with every meal.

Pretty sure everyone who is on MFP is counting cals seeing as how it is a cal counting site and all.

And don't know what you're talking about needing 1 protein & carb per meal?

Anyway, my normal recipe

LARGE bowl
    ⅔ cup oats
    cocoa/cinnamon
    1tbspn peanut butter & co (or recently I've started using peanut flour)
    Add lots of water

nuke. When done should still be a bit runny.

Add 1tbspn peanut butter & co and let it melt in. Let cool for a few minutes. Then add 1 scoop of protein powder (mine is vanilla casein)
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is one of the those foods that people can cook really nasty. My mom always made us some really good oatmeal and I try to go along with her recipe but I end up toning it down by replacing it with healthier ingredients.

1. Boil Water
    2. Add Salt
    3. Add oats
    4. Lower heat slowly until they look cooked.
    5. Add one teaspoon of olive oil butter w/ omega (this allows the oatmeal to become less clunky and a bit more liquified)
    6. Let the oatmeal sit for a few min or so
    7. Add 1/4 cup of soy milk , garnish with cinnamon.
    8. boil again then immediately turn off heat completely and move the pot to another spot.

I try not to over garnish my oatmeal to be honest with you, and keep it simple.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I do pb and JELLY!!! I like the nutella idea!
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    That's what I had this morning. It was delish
  • mielchat
    mielchat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't usually mix it in, I just put a spoonful of pb in the middle and it melts through. Tastes lovely :)
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    OMG YES!!! It's like a peanutbutter cookie!!! Also try cinnamon oatmeal with apple sauce and a few raisins tossed in and it's like an oatmeal cookie!

Now I have to search for an oatmeal/pb cookie recipe! I never would've thought of this. Thanks.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I can't believe so many like this. OMG, grossest thing I ever tasted. And, trust me, I like everything. It just tasted like butt. Yuk. But, I'm like the only human that can't stand nutella too. So, whateves. You people have bad taste. Lol.
  • eleighb85
    eleighb85 Posts: 11
    Options
    In all my years of eating oatmeal and chocolate novaks (best. cookie. EVER.), I have NEVER thought to put peanut butter into a bowl of oatmeal. Where have I been?!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have it most mornings! I buy the quick cook sachets of Chocolate porridge, (120cals) make with water (0cals!) two teaspoons of coffee mate (20cals) and a teaspoon of whole earth crunchy peanut butter (61cals) and it tastes divine! You could make it with milk so that it would be creamier, but I like it just like that and all in 201 calories! Porridge leaves me hungry afterwards usually, but I do believe the added peanut butter helps! It's my Snickers porridge!
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Does oatmeal mixed with all natural peanutbutter actually taste good?

To me it does. I actually love it. To each his own though
  • TimSPC
    TimSPC Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Does oatmeal mixed with all natural peanutbutter actually taste good?

Yes, it's awesome. For breakfast, I mix peanut butter, oatmeal and blueberries. I buy frozen blueberries from Trader Joe's, let them thaw in the fridge overnight and then I puree them up in a Magic Bullet.

I use instant oatmeal & flax from Trader Joe's, too. I make that and I put it in a thermos and let it settle for about three minutes. Then, I put 2 tbsp of peanut butter on top and about 1/5th of the blueberries over it all. I close the thermos and bring it to work. When I get there, it's still hot. I mix it all together and enjoy. It's like a PB & blueberry jelly sandwich in a jar.

(all total: 382 calories)
  • mamad5
    mamad5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I make an oatmeal almond butter and banana shake that is delicious! Check out the recipe at : http://tasteandsee5.blogspot.com/2013/02/banana-oat-nut-smoothie.html
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Yes. I love it for breakfast. Also add some fruit like kiki or some other kinds.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    hell yes. i can barely stand to eat oats without peanut butter any more.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love it! I've had a friend tell me it sounded disgusting, but I just couldn't see how! Apparently it's not for everyone, but it's definitely my new favorite way to eat oatmeal.
  • dzuli823
    dzuli823 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I first read about this here..so good!! I make my oatmeal with milk, though, because I'm making it for my kids that way, and add dried fruit.
  • francis904
    francis904 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My son is on a low sugar/ high protein diet. Plain oatmeal with a big spoon of peanut butter is one of his favorite breakfasts. He actually prefers it over the sugary prepackaged flavored oatmeals.