Elimination of Wheat

Options
I recently heard a discussion on the perils of eating wheat. As bread is one of my biggest issues/indulgences I was wondering if anyone else out there has tried to cut down on their consumption of wheat. Did you replace it with anything? Bread is often the item that makes me feel full weather in cereal or bread or pasta. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    As someone with a wheat sensitivity, I can't ingest wheat or I will get a migraine. If you don't have celiac or a food allergy, there is really no reason to deprive yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I eliminated it (gluten) but I am not replacing it with anything. I don't need to.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    nope
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As someone with a wheat sensitivity, I can't ingest wheat or I will get a migraine. If you don't have celiac or a food allergy, there is really no reason to deprive yourself.

^^^ this
  • momtobe06
    momtobe06 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    to me this seems like another fad... but I have friends who insist on the wheat belly book and say they feel better w/o it. I just think everything in moderation- whole grains, lean meats, veggies & fruits. I tend to shy away from any restrictive meal plan that shuns one particular food group.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    As someone with a wheat sensitivity, I can't ingest wheat or I will get a migraine. If you don't have celiac or a food allergy, there is really no reason to deprive yourself. :flowerforyou:

Agreed!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I was actually just reading a book about this. I guess it depends on your body and how it reacts to wheat. My aunt swears by this method and she's been thing her entire life. Now, that doesn't mean it's related to cutting out wheat, since she's always been thin, but...I guess it works for some people.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am considering eliminating it to see if it makes a difference in how I feel. I'm quite healthy and fit overall, but I do suffer from frequent headaches, muscle and joint pain, and gastrointestinal problems. All of these things could be attributed to a gluten sensitivity (as well as a host of other medical problems, but I figured eliminating wheat gluten might be the easiest place to start). It's going to be hard though because I already don't eat meat, and cutting out yet another food will be daunting. Especially since wheat gluten seems to show up everywhere! I already eat a lot of quinoa and beans and rice, so maybe it won't be so bad...although I ADORE bread and pasta.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to give up wheat, if you don't have to. I can't eat it and I miss it, not as much now than at first. There is no gluten-free bread or pasta that compares to the real thing, imo.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Don't eliminate it... no need. Just set your carbs to 150G. Can easily live this this, but it stops you from going too high x
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any wheat. Bread does fill u up at the moment, but then it leaves you feeling hungry and ravenous not long after.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Unless there's a medical reason you need to eliminate it, I wouldn't bother. A gluten free diet won't hurt you, but chances are it won't help you.

If you really want to though, go ahead and try eliminating it for a couple of weeks to see if there's any difference. But unless you have a gluten intolerance, you won't see much of a difference.
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to give up wheat, if you don't have to. I can't eat it and I miss it, not as much now than at first. There is no gluten-free bread or pasta that compares to the real thing, imo.

^^^^This^^^^ I have an allergy to it and have a horrid reaction if I ingest even a tiny amount...for those who aren't sensitive or allergic to it like the above poser said, there is no reason to give it up. If you are going totally GF it is hard. It's everywhere. Even in things you don't suspect.
  • karoliknee
    karoliknee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've gotten rid of high and sometimes processed carbs like: bread, pasta, cereals, rice, and white potatoes. And that's how I've lost my weight actually. :)

I haven't found a replacement for bread per say, but I do have a replacement for pizza dough. I make my own using almond meal, and it's really low carb and just tasty goodness. And for pasta, I use sauteed spaghetti squash and or zucchini. I also make some almond meal pancakes which are of course low carb too. If you want any recipe links, feel free to email me. :)
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I miss wheat, but if I eat it I get sick. If you want to vary your diet, that's always a good thing, so is moderation. There's really no need to eliminate anything, unless you suffer negative effects by consuming it. I don't mind that gluten free is 'trendy' right now because it makes it much easier to shop.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Whether and NO
  • shirleycatt
    shirleycatt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have recently cut out all wheat/gluten and I feel amazing! I have soooo much energy and I have noticed that I eat less. I gave myself a 2 week adjustment period of not tracking my calories but so far everything is going great! I didn't have to replace it with anything because as it turns out I dont need it. I do allow myself potatoes and corn tortillas. Anything I would have used bread for can pretty much be replaced with one of those two things! When I first started this experiment it was only for 4 weeks. I now think I can keep it up!!! I am also working on cutting out low fat, fat free and sugar free items. These are pretty hard to get in gluten free so, I guess that is a blessing. In summary... I am so happy I did this!!!!!!!!! The thing to remember, it's not limitation that works.. it's elimination!!!
  • girlcube
    girlcube Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A month-ish ago I eliminated wheat and other grains from my diet. I'm not missing the grains, tbh; after a headache the first week from the carb flu, things were fine. I never noticed it before, but not eating grains (or perhaps my lower carb consumption) had really levelled out my hunger. I used to get the stupids if I had gone too long without eating and now its not happening anymore.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    As someone with a wheat sensitivity, I can't ingest wheat or I will get a migraine. If you don't have celiac or a food allergy, there is really no reason to deprive yourself.

^^^ this

X2
  • Carofab16
    Carofab16 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would only eliminate wheat if you are intolerant to it!! I can't see the point of eliminating wheat just because people say it...