WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2012

Options

Replies

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Hi all. Going to be another hot one here today...104 with heat index of 115-ish. Today will be a staying inside day LOL.

My internet was down yesterday, so here I am again. We went with our best friends to a Brazilian grill for dinner. We had wanted to go to the horseraces, but it was absolutely packed and no parking, so we went to a wine bar north of town called Too Far North. It's always fun there...the owners are great, only about 15 chairs, so it's real small and you end up talking with everyone. The man is a paramedic, so I always enjoy sharing ER stories with him...we know lots of people in common. My best friend whom we were with last night also worked in the ER with me, so we all know each other in some way. Then we went back to their house for more cheese and wine. :drinker:

Sorry to say I had way too much to drink last night so it probably spoiled my calories for the day. But it was over an 8-hour period, so no silliness, thank goodness!~ We had some sharp cheddar cheese that had been soaked in cabernet, which made a lovely and tasty rind, so I ate way tooooooooo much of that too! Oh well, today is another day. That's the nice thing about this; I have found that one day's indiscretions doesn't ruin my eating plan. I just get back on track the next day! I used to beat myself up so much that I would get depressed, then eat because I was depressed! No more of that! :ohwell:

Welcome to all the newbies! It is so exciting to see so many people active on this thread! We are all at different places in our weight loss journey, so there will be someone here you can connect with. I have been blessed to recieve so much support and kindness here!

Lin: I think I am in menopause or peri, too. I was having so many problems I chose to go back on depoprovera, so no periods now for 9 months...yeah! So it is really hard to tell exactly what is going on, but I sure feel better! My doc also diagnosed me with Premenstrual dysphoric Disorder and put my on a low dose antidepressant. Now I no longer feel like screaming and shrieking at everyone, which I did regularly. I was so angry and frustrated all the time. Now I feel much better and more in control, and it really reduced the hot flashes. I was having hot flashes that lasted for hours. I hope you can find relief too!

Linda: good job on not eating even though you wanted to and had calories to spare! That shows a great attitude towards food; you had nourished your body and did not eat more. I loved reading that from you.

DeeDee: those headaches are bad, arent' they? I sure hope you are feeling better today.

Jane: I'm so sorry for your family situation. That is a real tough one. I know when my grandmother moved in with one of her daughters, even though they both wanted that to happen, eventually a lot of resentment built up and their relationship deteriorated. My grandma, who was very smart for a woman with a 6th grade education, chose to move into a nursing home in order to give her daughter her house back. It is so easy to feel under appreciated and taken advantage of. I hope you can find a solution to your situation soon. I'll keep you in my thoughts!

Lindamr: I love what you said about this not being a diet. You are so right. It is a healthy eating style we should maintain for life.

To everyone else: I'm sorry I can't speak to all of you personally today; we have to get our daughter going to a mission trip with her church youth group, so time is short today. Keep up the good work and stay healthy! Take care, Meg :flowerforyou:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Just marking my spot, so I can find you all in August.

Jeannie
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I finally found you. :cry: Did I do something wrong that I couldn't find you all. It looked like no one had posted. I've got to go to choir practice before church so I'll talk to you all later.

Micki
  • petalsandpaws
    Options
    Sunshine here and cool. Got a lot of house work done and have energy to spare. I tell you being on this healthier eating plan has given me back myself. I didn't know how bad I felt until I started to feel good again. Eating healthy instead of all the comfort foods has given my body a chance to function again.
    Tomorrow we go for my husbands chemo treatment and I have made my food plan to accomodate the long hours we have to be at the hospital. There is so much fear when we go, as we never know if the cancer has built up a resistance and he will be taken off of yet another drug. They tell us these drugs are just buying us time, but we still pray for a miracle.
    Welcome to all the new ladies, this is the place for inspriation and motivation to be sure. We all seem to have different journeys that we are on, but as women we can share out strength to get us through!!
    I have to tell you that I rely on this site to keep me going strong. Just knowing you all are out there makes one know they are not so alone in the battle we call life.
    So, keep focused and give yourself credit for a job well done.
    Happy Sunday, and may the week ahead be good to all of us.
    Hugs,:heart:
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,147 Member
    Options
    Sunshine here and cool. Got a lot of house work done and have energy to spare. I tell you being on this healthier eating plan has given me back myself. I didn't know how bad I felt until I started to feel good again. Eating healthy instead of all the comfort foods has given my body a chance to function again.
    Tomorrow we go for my husbands chemo treatment and I have made my food plan to accomodate the long hours we have to be at the hospital. There is so much fear when we go, as we never know if the cancer has built up a resistance and he will be taken off of yet another drug. They tell us these drugs are just buying us time, but we still pray for a miracle.
    Welcome to all the new ladies, this is the place for inspriation and motivation to be sure. We all seem to have different journeys that we are on, but as women we can share out strength to get us through!!
    I have to tell you that I rely on this site to keep me going strong. Just knowing you all are out there makes one know they are not so alone in the battle we call life.
    So, keep focused and give yourself credit for a job well done.

Petalsandpaws - I know you're a strong woman and you know we are all here pulling for you!! I hope tomorrow goes well. Please let us know.

Lin

Happy Sunday, and may the week ahead be good to all of us.
    Hugs,:heart:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I am loving my visit in Vegas. Not walking enough. It is tooo hot.

img_5539.jpg

We had some 6 month pictures done today.
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    [
    :bigsmile: when this thread gets to 500 posts there is a tiny notice at the bottom that tells you to click on it and you'll get to where the thread is continued.......it's just one more thing to learn :laugh:
    [/quote]

Hi Everyone,

Didn't know this so I thought I lost everyone!:cry: Posted Friday am but I think it just went into cyberspace and couldn't find this thread again til now!

So many posts to catch up on! Finally lost my first 10-but have a long way to go-just putting one foot in front of the other so to speak.

Welcome to all the newcomers-this is a very motivating and uplifting thread!

Will finish reading everyone's posts and hopefully be back on tomorrow. Trying to get my drinking in :drinker: . Have a good evening all!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am loving my visit in Vegas. Not walking enough. It is tooo hot.

img_5539.jpg

We had some 6 month pictures done today.

NO FAIR!! OMG she is so adorable. I wanna be a grandma:sad:
    (take it back. I want to be a grandma when my kids are ready to have babies. THEN I will rock the nanna!)

But she is so cute it brought a tear to my eye
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Just marking my spot, so I can find you all in August.

Jeannie

Jeannie? :noway: I am Jeannie, too!:glasses:

I am using Jeannine now. It is a little thing for me since the divorce. Was going to change my last name to my bio dad's until my ex said "You CAN'T keep my name!!" :wink: 1. he has no choice and 2. I worked HARD for my last name. He was just given it at birth, I enjoyed many years of being Mrs. JW and it is mine to keep. Plus I will change it when I meet Prince Charming and he carries me off on his white steed:laugh:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Ordered my Birkenstocks last night along with a copy of MasterCook. I have it on my laptop, but I used a CD and can't find the CD. I really like this one pair of Birkenstocks, didn't realize that Amazon had them in stock. Well, I'll wait until the other pair get here, be sure I am comfortable in them, then I'll order the other pair. Amazon's prices were the cheapest I could find.

smartin - happy birthday! and welcome

azsuzi - we're glad to have ya. This is a busy forum, that's for sure. I'm sure youll find lots of good ideas along with motivation.

Did an hour of balance games today on the Wii. Tomorrow some yoga and then the extremepump class. I will have to leave the house early since I need to drop off the donations from the church at the soup kitchen. Fortunately, they open at 7a.m. so I can go early. Then I need to be home by 11 since they're delivering the slide for the pool. It's coming by freight, at least I think that's what it's called. Anyway, they just drop it off at the end of the driveway and it weighs something like 250lbs. Fortunately, Vince has a dolley, but he still needs me to help him putting it on and then taking it off.

We tested the robotic cleaner yesterday. No, we didn't go to a neighbor who has a pool and ask them to let us borrow their pool....lol We filled the whirlpool with water and watched it "clean" the bathtub. At least we know it works!

Off to take a shower, watch some TV, and then get to bed. Made the magic cookie bars for the guys when they do the landscaping and just cut them up. Put them in the freezer. I'll make other things for them when I get home, I'm expecting to go to VA Wednesday and come home thursday. Jessica really wants me to come up. I'll give the rest of the bars to her to take back. I told you I can't even have them in the freezer or I'll munch, so I just get them out. Am giving the rest of the chocolate banana bars that I have to the soup kitchen since I have to go there tomorrow morning.

We're having evening mahjongg here tomorrow night. We have it later so I don't need to make any food. I did make some ice tea, tho.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening all, Matthew's birthday party was a blast, :wink: I did pretty good with eating, I ate one hot dog on a bun and one hamburger plain, couple bites mac. salad, raw broccoli and a few melon balls. NO CAKE! My SIL made the cake to look exactly like Lightening McQueen, (I will post a picture later cause I am TOOO tired to do it tonight.) I have to get up early, clean the house, finish packing and drive 2 hours to Wilmington tomorrow so I think I am going to bed now:yawn: It has been a long day and I am exhausted:yawn: :yawn: :heart: Love ((((HUGS)))) and prayers to all. Rose :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    this was a good Sunday very warm here but stayed with the plan.Great weekend catching up on z's housework, just some much needed R &R

@petalsandpaws you are one strong lady. You are in my thoughts and prayers..

Hope everyone is ok .
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone - can't believe it ....... but yes it's true......... the sun is shining :drinker: :drinker: :glasses: :glasses:

Maybe our summer has finally arrived :noway: :laugh: and guess what I have a cold! I;ve been feeling sniffly and head achey the last few days, I'm not popular as I seem to have passed the germs on to my mum daughter and hubby :embarassed: I've not gone in to work today, didn't feel up to it, usually I force myself to go in, but today I am just too exhausted and achey to even try.

:grumble: This means I've not exercised for the past few days, it seems when I get into a slight routine, something happens to put a spoke in the wheel.

Enough moaning!!

:flowerforyou: Michele you are so active and busy It seems so unfair that you can't get below 130.

:flowerforyou: Jane rant away .... no wonder you feel so un appreciated. If you have a reasonable relationship with your DIL could you perhaps explain how you are feeling or maybe have a word with your son, sometimes boys don't think! say somedays you need time for yourself - it can't be easy for you, you must feel like you are walking on egg shells trying to keep everyone happy. Good luck and I hope you have enough money to get your own place soon.

:love: :love: Robin what a beautiful grandaughter you have :love: :love:

:yawn: feeling a bit tired so I'll do a bit of pottering to stop myself from seizing up completely :bigsmile: Need to drink some water my throat is so dry, drank tons of water yesterday and spent most of the night up and down to the bathroom, but this morning I am down 2lb :noway: :noway: :wink: Going to try and do the same today.

Take care xx
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies

I don't want to jinx it - but the sun is shining in London today and it's not raining! Can I hear a cheer?

I'm off to stomp down to the village pond to meet my DS in a little while. He's been filming over the weekend but has a couple of hours free to see his mumma today. He sent me some stills from the movie - it's a zombie flick and looks quite crazy.

A few quick replies -

Olivia is a darling! I cannot believe she's six months already. Enjoy your time with her, Grandma Robin.

Barbie – nothing is resolved between SOBSIL and I. We are now just ignoring the situation. His father died two weeks ago and I decided enough was enough, turned up at their house and gave him a hug and condolences. It could have gone either way – he could have thrown me out. As it happens I think he realised that he had to get over it for the sake of my DD and the grandtwins. We don’t ignore each other, we just keep our distance and are polite. That will have to do for now. Apart from anything else, my DD needs me to babysit for her sometimes, so it is crazy not to be allowed in their house.

Petalsandpaws – enormous hugs to you. I’ll keep you and your husband in my prayers.

Mimi – where are you?

Menopause .... mine started at 31 when I had to have a complete hysterectomy due to a tumour in one of my fallopian tubes. I also had adenomyosis and endometriosis. I had always had horrendous periods, ridiculously heavy for up to 10 days with a 21 day cycle. Constantly anaemic and vile with PMS. I used to say that I suffered from the pain and my DH suffered from the PMS – I was demented at times! Anyway, I have been on HRT since then – lower doses now, the doctors are hoping to stop them altogether in a couple of years. Twenty-two years later I am still having hot flushes and night sweats. I though a hysterectomy would have saved me from it, but not a chance.

Speaking of the PMS, just before I had the surgery I got really worried that maybe it WASN’T PMS and that it was just my personality! Fortunately not (although I still have my moments, put I put that down to being a natural redhead!)

Michelle – I want a robotic cleaner, but I want one to clean the whole house! How do you get on with Birkenstocks? A couple of summers ago I lived in mine, but found that they made the skin on the soles of my feet really hard and thick. I just wear them in the garden these days.

Jeannine – good for you, making a stand about your name! I have to admit, I couldn’t wait to change mine. Nowadays I’m just really happy to go by my DH’s last name. Funny, my maiden name was double barrelled, my second husband’s name was double barrelled and my DH’s name is double barrelled. Apart from a short period of time when I was married to my first husband, I have always needed the whole page to sign my signature. No more changes for me. DH and I have been together for almost 24 years and I am keeping this one!

Meg – the cheese soaked in cabernet sounds heavenly!

Ok, must dash.

Hugs and love to all.
    Amanda x
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies:flowerforyou:

petalsandpaws:smile: sending you and your husband prayers and positive thoughts!!!! My best friend`s husband is going through the same thing, they`ve changed his chemo treatment a couple of times, this one seems to be working so far! Miracles can and do happen:heart: . How smart of you to pack your food for the trip, it certainly helps for long days away. I try to carry a protein bar with me everywhere I go for just in case.

Jane:smile: my prayers are with you. I hope you`ll be in a postion where you can move out soon. Feeling unloved and not apperciated is just so unfair to you!!!:cry:

Robin:smile: Oliva is adorable, what a cute oufit she has on, she looks like a beautiful rare flower:love: !

Michele:smile: I have a couple pair of birkenstocks, they hurt my feet, I only wear them rarely:angry: . You inspire me to get out and get my walking in everyday, I`m just impressed with all you do!!!

Meg:smile: cheese and wine, my two favorite food groups, YUM:love: . I`m glad you`re not beating yourself up anymore over food, just log it, and move on to better days:happy: . I usually have about 2oz. of brie cheese and a glass or two of wine, along with a few grapes every couple of weeks, I always make sure I have the calories alloted for it, and so far its working for me.

wizzywig:smile: congrats on the 2lb. loss:flowerforyou: . I know the feeling of getting up several times in the middle of the night:grumble: Hope you`re feeling better soon!!!!

Amanda:smile: YAY for your sunshine:glasses: !!!!

I`ve been feeling icky:sick: the past few days, headachy and stuffy and totally run down. I`ve had to make myself take my walks, hoping my nose will not run the entire time:laugh: , I tried to rest some over the weekend, and so far this morning...no headache, however I`m still stuffy, and why is it your all stopped up, yet your nose runs:noway: , makes no sense to me!!! I have to go to the farmers market, or the grocery store today, I`m all out of fresh veggies, wish I could just stay home and get a bit more rest:ohwell: .

Welcome to all the newbies:flowerforyou: !!!!!

Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: , and log your food!!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful happy day:bigsmile: .

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,147 Member
    Options
    Just a quick hello---HELLO!

I heard the weather in London had turned to sunny and saw people out dancing in anticipation of the Olympics. I hope the weather continues to be favorable given the big event is now around the corner.

Wishing everyone a great day. Sorry, I'm exhausted, couldn't sleep last night, and I'm sure anything I type would make little, if any, sense.

Thanks for being here. :flowerforyou:

Lin
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Monday, sun is shining:glasses: and it's supposed to be HOT

Welcome to all of you newbies this is where you will get encouragement from around the world:drinker:

lorarock- drat those birthday celebrations:grumble: I'm sure that if you keep watching what you know makes a difference you will regain that loss in no time. Good goal to set for your summer vacation of getting it undercontrol before you return to the school routine:happy:

jane- so sorry you are feeling unappreciated. What you are living through is what my hubby is afraid will happen to us (he's been unemployed for 16 mo now) We have had several of our kids invite us to live with them and the one with that has our grandsons has said they will set up their basement in a full apartment. We have been putting it off as hubby has had his unemployment but it will expire in about 9 days and then we aren't sure what we will be doing. I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you, you might try talking with your son and letting him know that you could use some evening time for yourself too, but only you know how he will take that. Hang in there:flowerforyou:

DeeDee-hope the headache is gone by the time you read this:flowerforyou:

Michele- I love homemade ice cream (I have the ice cream maker for my Kitchen Aide) I just try to NOT make it very often because I don't have any stomach issues when I eat heavy cream:sick: just heavy guilt that I ate so much.:wink:

Lin- welcome to the exclusive Menopause Club:flowerforyou:

Meg- your evening with friends sounds wonderful...a little wine...a little cheese... perfect:drinker:

Micki- some days we are such a chatty group and some days everyone just gets busy:wink: Then there is the fact that after 500 posts to a topic it will make a new one (part 2), have to watch that because if you are in part 1 and you try to post and it's at 500 your post goes into cyber space:grumble:

Amanda- YEAH Sunshine:glasses: Hoping it stays for awhile. Glad you were able to just plow ahead in the relationship you have with the SIL, sounds like he still has some growing up to do and I'm sure your DD really appreciates you being there to help with the grandtwins..

Wizzywig- hoping that your cold is short lived and you can enjoy some of that sunshine:flowerforyou:

It was a busy weekend and I started out each morning logging and exercising and by evening it was just lost:sad: I really didn't gain but I felt like the eating was a bit out of control.

Friday night we had dinner with Son #2 & DIL with grandsons at her parents house (they are our best friends) and boy has DIL dropped. She called yesterday afternoon and wanted to know if we wanted her to call if she headed to the hospital in the middle of the night. OF COURSE we do...I'll do anything for a day off work:laugh: But no call last night so maybe today I'll get to head to the hospital and we will be greeting grandson #3, I brought my cameras to work with me just incase.

We did get in some great exercise this weekend, bike rides and long walks. Saturday we went to the resevoir beach and took a picnic lunch it was fun to pretend we were on a vacation and then the cooling off in the water which was really warm like bath water:happy:

Son #1 called me Friday and told me that he had talked with his Dad about us moving to Las Vegas to live with them and that hubby should extend his job search to include Vegas, that would be interesting living there with them...but at least it's another option for us to consider.

I have a lot to get done so best get to it. Everyone have a good day, if you eat it log it, drink plenty of water and move your body to lose it:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Good MOnday morning to everyone! It is supposed to be 105 here today, so I was up early working in the yard. I had planned on going for a walk, but at 7 it was already 88 degrees, so I nixed that in a hurry! It will be a quiet day here for me; my younger daughter is gone on a week long mission trip to Des Moines (ironic, isn't it?) and I'll be plugging along on the book all day. Yesterday I was craving ice cream and I had the calories to spare, but like someone here already said; my body is well nourished and I don't need anything else. So I didn't eat it! Yay me! LOL :happy:

Jane: my thoughts are with you! I think it would be awful to feel so unappreciated. Hang in there! :flowerforyou:

DeeDee: I hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou:

Laura: sounds like you are on grandma watch? I'll keep my fingers crossed! :smile:

Petalsand paws: Good for you to think ahead and plan your food for the hospital. I hope your DH does well today with his chemo. My thoughts and prayers are with you too. :flowerforyou:

rjadams: OMG what a CUTE picture! It actually made me laugh out loud from the cuteness! What a dolly! :smooched:

Jeannine: good for you and your attitude for your name. When I got divorced, I took my name back and when I remarried I kept it. My DH had no problem with that, but you wouldn't believe the number of people who said their hubbys wouldn't stand for it. WHAT?????? It's your name...you do as you please! :drinker:

Michelle: you sound so busy; your life must be so much fun! :smile:

Rose: good job on forgoing the birthday cake! I don't think I would have been able to do that! I probably would have had 2 pieces! :devil:

Amanda: HOORAY for the sun! I too thought my weirdness might be me and not the PMS/PDD. Thank God it all improved with the meds! A little zoloft works wonders! :tongue:

Well I think I need to go investigate the hubbub going on....the dog just raced by with three cats in hot pursuit. That can't be good LOL.

Take care, stay cool and drink up (water that is!). Meg
  • yclayton
    yclayton Posts: 44
    Options
    bump for later...:smile:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I have discovered the best apetite depressant known to mankind for me:ohwell: . Dh forgot to through out the roasted chicken container (from the grocery store) that we had for dinner on Thursday night. When I got home today I was greated with a horrific smell and a kitchen counter crawling with maggots.:noway: I do not do well with squiggly things anywhere around food. Even jokingly, DH can make me lose my apetite by mentioning worms or bugs at all while we eating.:sick: If I find them in produce while I am washing it I can't eat it. :grumble: Needless to say I haven't eaten since I was on the plane this morning when I had a cheese and fruite platter. I am starving but I just can't get past the memory of the smell and the moving counter. *shutters again at the thought* I don't know what I am going to do. My stomach hurts, my blood sugar is low and I have a killer headache but I just can't think of putting anything in my mouth. :sad: :sad: :sad:

well I hope you all have a great day.

Bodi and Ritter were very happy to see me when I got home. :smile: