WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2012

Options

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a great day!had 2 good drs visits.
    After 4 months of adjusting the thyroid medicine my levels are normal.Dr was pleased with the 42 lbs I lost in a year.
    All labs were good,blood pressure normal,so don`t have to go back til spring.
    The pt dr said I can start slow.pool 30 min 3xs a week.try the leg press at 1/2 of what I was doing and 2 sets of 10 -2 xs a week.
    felt so good to be in the pool today as it was 90+.
    Thanks for your support and love reading everyone`s posts.
    HUGS
    jane
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Ok this is my 3rd attempt at posting my internet is being wonky" Hello Everyone hope you are having a good Monday. My weekend ok there was lots of parties so super busy. Went to 2 Potlucks did ok but on the 2nd onethe host was grilling steaks. I love steak its one of my all time favorite foods So I got excited than at same time scared for fear if I eat 1 steak won't stop and eat 10 steaks. I didn't but got me thinking when will I see food as just food no fear of ...?

Today was a good day work sort of tired think the weekend caught up with me.

@Janemartin02 glad you had good news at your Drs appt.

@Lin hoping you figure out your digestive issues.
    day
    Happy Birthday
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    @Lin--we have a whole Foods opening up here too. I don't know much about them other then I have heard of them but excited to try.
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I hope this is how to post.

I had a great day. I went to the doctor for a physical today. Since my blood work last year: glucose down 7, triglycerides down 31, cholesterol down 47. Whoooo!!!!! :flowerforyou: The results were much better than I expected.

Please pray tonight for my friend/coworker Geanie. She has uterine cancer and is having surgery tomorrow.
  • cjspensley
    cjspensley Posts: 21
    Options
    Still on the road...tonight in Gulfport MS. Finally saw our younger son today (the older one is here too, but he got here Saturday), and he looks great! It was awesome to see him run across the parking lot...that run in a gigantic hug on Mom! One more exam for him in the morning...then graduation in the afternoon. We'll leave here Wednesday morning.

I've done really well with calorie count and exercise on the road - swimming in the hotel pools, and riding the "bike to nowhere" (stationery bike) have helped, but I miss my "real" bike and the Illinois Prairie Path.

Tonight's dinner was, well, a celebration and I tried really hard. Couldn't find any nutritional info for the restaurant either there, or on line later. But instead of ordering whole entrees for each of us, we ordered two appetizers and two entrees, and it was just right for the four of us. I really don't know how many calories, but I was full of self-restraint and felt good about what I ate.

My oldest was not encouraging...he said, "why did you start this a week before vacation????" LOL His suggestion was to just not worry about it, enjoy the trip, and start over when we get home. Not gonna happen. (This is the kid who could eat all day and is still a string bean...and he's 33). I swam laps for half an hour when we got back...felt good...as did the walk on the beach at sunset.....ahhhhhhhh. If it weren't for hurricane season, I could enjoy living here.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: nancy, good luck on the AFD......alcohol has not been a problem for me in many years since I stopped drinking completely but peanut butter,dried fruit, granola, cheese, nuts, and many other things have been my downfall....gradually I had to decide that certain foods had to be outlawed from my house and my mouth. It took experimentation to figure out what I could eat in moderation and what had to be outlawed.

:bigsmile: Jane, I'm glad you had good news from the doctor.....you are always so encouraging to all of us....you deserve to have positive things happening for you.

:flowerforyou: The nearest Trader Joe's is about an hour away so I rarely shop there......we have a great store not far from our house with great produce and I rarely buy any processed or packaged foods so there's not really all that much that I have to look for at Trader Joe's when I go.

:bigsmile: .I am doing well reading the posts but too busy to respond individually....I guess I am overdoing my resolution to spend less time at the computer.. This morning I had to place an order for one of my customers and the computer gave me fits, logging off from the website several times while I was working.....and after answering a few personal and business e mails, I was ready to do anything but the computer

:bigsmile: Jake's brother is coming from Ohio on Wednesday so there are preparations needed for his arrival. He is coming for the Lavender Festival and we will go to Victoria for the day on Thursday.. I may have to teach two line dance classes while he is here but I won't know for sure until the last minute because the man who can fill in for me has jury duty and won't know until the night before if he has to go in.

:bigsmile: I am making great progress in my yard. Laying the rocks around the house is about half finished and I've been able to transplant four of the five daisy plants I've started in pots.

:bigsmile: Jake finished painting the fence and will reward himself tomorrow by finally playing golf (he hasn't played yet this year because of his back, the weather, and the fence painting)

:laugh: :laugh: At 75 degrees it is too hot outside during the day for the dogs so they ask to go for a walk and then are ready to come back in after 10 minutes

:yawn: :yawn: off to bed early so I can get up at dawn and walk the dogs before it gets too warm

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • petalsandpaws
    Options
    Thanks Jb for the info on how to track excercise. I wasn't putting in the right combo in the search fields.

Was a really difficult day today. My husband of less then a year was diagnosed 3 weeks after our wedding last year with small cell lung cancer. He has been getting chemo every since. I always go with him and sit through the procedure and then we go to his favorite food place which is always fast food places and since I have to drive the 2 hours to get home we usually take it to go and eat in the car. This day however, the treatment took longer and I was only somewhat prepared with food, as they don't let you eat on the cancer floor, I went to long without food. On the way home I had to smell the fries and hamburger, and even the ketsup I could smell. But I made it home, but was so hungry and trying to get in the right amount of calories was a challenge. I made it, but learned a valuable lesson and won't repeat getting caught like that again. Mondays are always an emotional day anyway with what my husband is going through.

I hurried to log in just to get the support from positive posts so that I could keep on target. Thanks again for being here and to all new comers, you have come to the right place.
    Hugs,:heart:
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi veryone,

Went on our road trip and I did not eat any trail mix at all! It was sitting next to me on the way home . It did call to me,but I did not give into temptation!: :drinker:
    The event turned out not to be a kids event,but just a family fun day. My husband,my daughter-Sam and I all shot sporting clays.
    It was a fun day,walking,shooting and good company. :smile:
    T:smile:
    Today, I work up so sore from yesterday. I can;t believe how sore I am. Lifting a 8lb shotgun 50 times really gave me a work out! Lol

This week my goal is to try to get more walking in,if the knee will tolerate it! Read these posts if temptation calls to me. Welcome to the new people, and just keep putting one foot in front of the other, day by day, We can be on this journey together!
    Blessings, Linda aka Sundance B. (My children tell me "mom ,don't use your real name as your user name" therefor I used our yellow labs name! Lol:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    :flowerforyou: Hi Linda! My name is Rose, I love to fish and I live in Laurel, Delaware, hence Laurelfisher
    Hi Rose, nice to meet you! We do also go fishing as a family. It is very relaxing and fun. I like your user name ,very creative! Share your fishing stories,with you progess with your goals!:flowerforyou: ,Linda
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I have logged in for 20 days now! yahoo:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    Wednesday's are my weigh in days. I am looking forward to this day. I must not set any expectations other than to be happy with any weight loss. I've got to get in a walk tomorrow.After work it is dark outside and not safe to go walking at night. neighborhood is not well lighted! So, I must get up and "just do it"
    Hope you are all doing well. Your posts inspire me so much! Thanks for sharing your lives with all of us!
    Blessings and prayers for those who asked.
    Linda :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!!!!!:flowerforyou:

Lin:smile: , we have a Whole Foods here and its great, lots of organic products, and fabulous produce!!!

Nancy:smile: I like the idea of giving away the old clothes, think I might do that once I get to maintance stage!!!

joy2320:smile: , welcome to the group:flowerforyou: , this is a great place for motivation and support!!! What is the 17 day diet?

MarthajhGiffo:flowerforyou: Happy Birthday!!!!

janemartin02:smile: , I too know the ups and downs of thyroid med. dosing!!! It`s wonderful when the levels are correct and I actually feel better!!! I`ve been hypothyroid:grumble: since my early 30s, and here lately my levels have been all over the place, thank goodness I don`t have to be rechecked for 3 months this time:smile: .

lizmil:smile: , I too love steak and have it every once in awhile, I find that I`m satisfied with 4 oz. now though:love: !!!

jo3y20:smile:, congrats on your lab results!!!! Prayers sent to your friend, wishing her the best of luck!!!:flowerforyou:

cjpensley:smile: , congrats on being so good on your vacation!!!!

Barbie:smile: , The Lavender festival sounds wonderful!!!! I would love the temp. to be around 75 here, its in the 90s, and my dog does not like going out at all, much less to walk for 30 to 45 min.

petalsandpaws:smile: , so sorry to hear about your husbands cancer, sending both of you positive thoughts:flowerforyou: !!!!

Linda:smile: , congrats on 20 days:flowerforyou: , weigh in days are exciting, always remember no matter what the scale says be happy, you are here and that is a success!!!

I don`t have a lot of time this morning, I have an early meeting:grumble: .
    I`m a bit worried about my dog too, she has pancreatitis, and I think its flaring up a bit. I talked to the vet. yesterday because she threw up just a bit 4 times, she told me to watch her, not feed her anything until dinner time, by dinner time my sweet dog was starved, and I was standing over her making sure she didn`t eat too fast, she did great last night, however this morning she threw up just a bit again, I may be at the vets. office this afternoon.:frown: .

Hope everyone has a wonderful Tuesday!!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • bunnyjane54
    Options
    lost 6.4kg in the past 2 months. been really hard for me because the comet 90 diet is taking things from a different approach! really like this community. i've been watching this place for a while and sometimes the positive energy just keeps me going.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

Tuesday afternoon already. I had a busy few days with my DD going back to Germany :sad: My heart breaks to say goodbye and know that I will not see her again for months and only then on a flying visit. I have to adjust to the fact that this is the way it be from now on. It's hard though as we used to talk every day and see each other all the time, but she has to live her life - I can't do it for her.

The last couple of days have seen a recurrence of my emotional eating - something I thought I had under control. To be frank, I haven't done anything bad - I just don't have the taste for 'bad foods' any more, but ate one or two too many yoghurts etc. The good thing is that I wasn't tempted by alcohol - once upon a time I would have drowned my sorrows from noon to night. Two and a half years since I had even a taste of alcohol and I cannot see any reason why I would start again.

I am proud of the fact that I have't had a cigarette in over seven years as well. My body thanks me.

There is no time for me to read all the posts today, but will catch up over the next few days. My love and considerations are with you all.

Feeling miserable so will go and have a quick stomp around the block ..... as it's not raining!! :glasses:

Hugs to all.
    Amanda x
  • wordsmith728
    Options
    Hi ladies!

I joined in MFP in mid-June, so I have one whole month under my belt. lol! I'm 52 yrs old and a shorty--5 feet tall; I live in the Chicago area.

It seems like everything I eat shows up on me! Yesterday I turned down an offer of chocolate birthday cake (with sprinkles, fudgy filling and whatever else the sweet little old lady was describing). I just told her that I was on a strict, calorie-counting diet. I felt bad saying no and almost gave in but she "got it" and then told me about someone in her family who had lost a bunch of weight, and she understood. I told her that I almost gave in and she said that she saw that and stopped trying to ply me with the offer! Then she offered me a glass of orange juice. I said, ok, but only 6 oz, please! lol

I am encouraged by everyone's posts; hoping to meet my goals slowly and steadily. I have been increasing my activity levels (biking, walking the dog, heavy housework, light weights. Yesterday I jumped rope for 10 minutes and thought I would die!

One of my first goals is to stop wearing baggy shirts! Now that the back boobs are starting to shrink, I think I can get myself to wear a shirt that doesn't entirely hide my torso!

So, just thought I'd introduce myself a little and I look forward to reading all the great, encouraging posts I've seen here!
    :flowerforyou:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Olivia's first vacation trip to the beach.

dorkybeachgirl-1.jpg
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,176 Member
    Options
    What a darling picture!!!!
  • linder4866
    Options
    Robin I am so glad to hear all the good things about your new job, :drinker: and wonder what kind of sports car is the bright blue bomber?

I drive a Nissan 350Z bright blue convertable with a black rag top. it is a 2005 but I only have 27,000 miles on it because I baby it.

OH MY GOSH!! I'm having car envy. It sounds wonderful. I use to drive a little red Miata. I loved it but I needed to trade it for a sensible vehicle. Sigh......
  • linder4866
    Options
    Thanks Jb for the info on how to track excercise. I wasn't putting in the right combo in the search fields.

Was a really difficult day today. My husband of less then a year was diagnosed 3 weeks after our wedding last year with small cell lung cancer. He has been getting chemo every since. I always go with him and sit through the procedure and then we go to his favorite food place which is always fast food places and since I have to drive the 2 hours to get home we usually take it to go and eat in the car. This day however, the treatment took longer and I was only somewhat prepared with food, as they don't let you eat on the cancer floor, I went to long without food. On the way home I had to smell the fries and hamburger, and even the ketsup I could smell. But I made it home, but was so hungry and trying to get in the right amount of calories was a challenge. I made it, but learned a valuable lesson and won't repeat getting caught like that again. Mondays are always an emotional day anyway with what my husband is going through.

I hurried to log in just to get the support from positive posts so that I could keep on target. Thanks again for being here and to all new comers, you have come to the right place.
    Hugs,:heart:

I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's illness. Congratulations on making it through until you got home. That is extraordinary. Wishing you well.
  • linder4866
    Options
    I do not know how to do multiple quotes and responses in one message so excuse all the messages. This is a great group of ladies with an amazing reserve of motivation and energy. I'm so happy to be here with you.

Wishing everyone success and good health. :drinker:

Lin
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Good monning,

I haven't been here for a while. I think I may have only posted once but it was great to come back this morning and read through the post. Everyone is doing amazing. I believe we have a lot in common. We all have a lot going on .

As for me, I'm doing okay although disappointed in scale this morning. It has to okay because it wasn't a gain, just no loss. It's okay because I have adding bicycling and pool exercise to my cardio so I'm sure those leg muscles are building and will have to wait until next week for a loss.

Headed to Indiana this weekend to see grandson in final play with his theatre group before they move to Chicago. Their move and expense of his new school will probably mean few visits but we will all make the best of it.

I willl comment more specifically (sp) as I get to know everyone.

Have a great week and keep posting...it helps!

:happy: Sharon
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello dearies, :drinker:

Whew! It was hot yesterday and I still managed to cook up 7 pints of strawberry jam. It was steamy in my kitchen. J’boy loves peanut butter and jam sandwiches, so I need a good stock for winter. I usually win a few prizes at the fall fair too, so that’s more incentive! :wink: Apricots are next.

I made it through my AFD (alcohol free day) :flowerforyou: and have another one on deck today. The scale moved down this morning, so I must be flushing all the junk out of my system.

Yesterday was my first good workout with both feet on the ground. My ankle is very stiff and weak (12 weeks in that robo-boot), it bothered me more than the repaired toe joint. It’s interesting to figure out what I can/can’t do.

Todays projects? Laundry, laundry.:grumble: Does it never end? Sort the books I brought home from my Dad’s library, take the dog for a walk in the country. Gotta love summer holidays.

Robin, that sounds like a lovely little car! I’ll bet it’s fun to drive.

Jane, congratulations on the great reports from Dr. and PT. :flowerforyou: You have worked hard.

Petalsandpaws – so sorry to hear about your husband & all the things you are going through together. Well done on managing the food – have you thought of stashing some healthy snacks in the car so you don’t get so hungry on the drive home?

Linda – don’t researchers say it takes 30 days to make/break a habit? You are well on the way with 20 days of MFP logging. :drinker:

Amanda, it’s tough when the daughter is so far away.:flowerforyou: Mine is in the same country as I am, same province, in fact, but it’s still a 12 hour drive or a $400 airplane trip, so we don’t see her often. We text, and skype a lot. I hope it was not raining because you needed that stomp around the block.

Hello wordsmith728 – When folks offer me food I’m trying to avoid I always say “It’s not on my menu plan today.” That either convinces or confuses them. Seems to work, anyway!

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

Big picture: Learn to relax without wine. Apply the same self-discipline with alcohol that I have learned to use with food.
    Plan what I eat - eat what I plan. Every day.
    Get the routine chores done – no procrastination!
    Act the way I want to feel. Be kind.