New Lifestyle-or eating disorder?

Options

Replies

• MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    Hey!

I competely understand where you are coming from. I battled an eating disorder from age of 13 until I wa 16. To this day, I still struggle with unhealthy thoughts and habits, though now, I mostly have them under control.

I was a member of mfp twice before and had to delete my account because I was using it in a way that it wasn't intended to be used. I was using it to fuel my disorder. I was overly obsessing about calories and exercise, and it was mentally tearing me apart.

Now, I am back for the third time,and ready to use this resource as a means to truly become an all around healthier peson. My word of advice is just to be careful. When this sight begins to take over,that should be your cue to get help, or to step back, take a deep breath, and remember why you are here. Another opion is to simply take some time to off. There is no shame in that.

Whatever you choose to do, stay positive, keep fighting, and surround yourself with healthy people (physically and mentally!). Wishing you the best!

Kathryn

Your words of encouragement meant a lot to me this morning. I wake up already thinking about exercise and calorie counting. I originally found it very helpful for communicating with my endocrinologist. She could look up and see my notes on how my blood glucose was doing that day and how I was doing my carbohydrate counting...but now it's less about my diabetes and more about my weight.

I honestly don't see much in the way of results/weight loss (mostly because I'm on oral contraceptives and they seem to have taken a toll on my metabolism)...

It is difficult to just take a step back and stop counting...but you're very right about getting healthy friends for support. And I think that I've met a lot of people on this site that can help me in that way. Thank you.
  • ironicusername
    Options
    This is something that I learned from my first big weight loss and from the experience of my best friend: obsessing over calories and beating yourself up when you slip are surefire ways to make you give up entirely or spiral into a full blown eating disorder. I gave up after an 80 pound loss because I just couldn't take an other day of obsessing and it kept me from trying again for a long time. It took gaining half of it back to try again and I used Nutrisystem instead of calorie counting. As for my best friend, She ended up developing anorexia. Thankfully it never went too far, but she did really screw up her metabolism. She now finds it a whole lot harder to lose weight when she gains because of it.

The best thing to do is to think of this as a better way of eating, rather than a diet. Stop obsessing over a calorie limit because the truth is, if you go over your limit you'll probably still lose weight as long as you treat you limit more like a guideline. Not to mention that if you stick to a number religiously, you're way more likely to plateau. If you mix it up, your metabolism won't have a chance to get used to what you're doing. You'll make it work harder. So far this year I've lost over 30 pounds with this philosophy.

Also: hating yourself will get you nowhere. It doesn't help you or your goal. Take one day at a time.
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    This is something that I learned from my first big weight loss and from the experience of my best friend: obsessing over calories and beating yourself up when you slip are surefire ways to make you give up entirely or spiral into a full blown eating disorder. I gave up after an 80 pound loss because I just couldn't take an other day of obsessing and it kept me from trying again for a long time. It took gaining half of it back to try again and I used Nutrisystem instead of calorie counting. As for my best friend, She ended up developing anorexia. Thankfully it never went too far, but she did really screw up her metabolism. She now finds it a whole lot harder to lose weight when she gains because of it.

The best thing to do is to think of this as a better way of eating, rather than a diet. Stop obsessing over a calorie limit because the truth is, if you go over your limit you'll probably still lose weight as long as you treat you limit more like a guideline. Not to mention that if you stick to a number religiously, you're way more likely to plateau. If you mix it up, your metabolism won't have a chance to get used to what you're doing. You'll make it work harder. So far this year I've lost over 30 pounds with this philosophy.

Also: hating yourself will get you nowhere. It doesn't help you or your goal. Take one day at a time.

The mixing it up is what I struggle with. I have a day like last Thursday when I go way over and I feel horrible. It's shocking to me that I am struggling with this because I've watched four sisters go through eating disorders...and I told myself that would never be me. It drove me nuts when they obsessed over their workouts or new diets...and now I'm in their shoes.
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    "The mixing it up is what I struggle with. I have a day like last Thursday when I go way over and I feel horrible. It's shocking to me that I am struggling with this because I've watched four sisters go through eating disorders...and I told myself that would never be me. It drove me nuts when they obsessed over their workouts or new diets...and now I'm in their shoes."
    [/quote]

I relate with this. My sister is anorexic/Bulimic and my father is anorexic, obsessed with weight and exercise. The fact that all of your sisters struggled with this is a signal to me that there was some kind of control issue in your family dynamic...

for us my father obsessed about our weight so I struggle to be healthy because when I think about weight, it triggers my family issues. I am either slipping into the obsessiveness that was my familys pattern, or I am resisting it all together, and becoming obese. sucks!
  • Cristofori44
    Cristofori44 Posts: 201
    Options
    Well it seems you're eating healthy and getting in enough calories.
    Hrmm, maybe try not logging for the day--see how that feels?
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I understand the obsession that comes with MFP because i get lost in it too, but when it starts to worry you and you start to even ask the question of 'do i have an eating disorder' you are already in dangerous territory. I would talk to a health professional about your concerns and work with them to prevent an eating disorder from beginning/worsening. good luck! <3
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I started using oral contraceptives and started feeling more hungry than usual-consequently I gained up to 145.0 lbs.
    I was in the same boat, but I don't think there's been any studies that showed oral contraceptives making you gain weight? Just that it makes a lot of people eat more :P
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    sounds like borderline orthorexia.

take it easy. find the middle road. no need to stress about living a healthy life.
  • filomenae
    filomenae Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am by no means a doctor, and I can't diagnose, obviously, but it sounds like you're beginning to have obsessive, disordered thoughts. Perhaps speak to a doctor about it, or consider getting a dietitian that can help you not obsess so much over every small bite of food. Yes, it adds up, but 1 grape isn't going to harm you.

I'm in recovery from my eating disorder that I've had for many years, and trust me, you want to get help or try to help yourself before it gets out of control. Food isn't poison, it's nourishment, fuel, and it keeps your mind and body going. : )

Take care,
    Emily
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Just be mindful, and you'll find a balance. Also, I'm willing to be that the stress of the wedding has put you in to 'control and planning overdrive' ... the few weeks before a wedding can drive the most sane bride to do crazy things!!

If I could offer a piece of non-professional advice, it would be to start with date nights.... Eat sensibly during the day, and then go out with your fiancee and enjoy dinner together, not worrying about the calories. Don't try to log it, either. Spend one evening every now and then really just enjoying his company and the delicious food. Because one night won't destroy your fitness efforts... and that quality time between the two of you is really very important.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Wow I know what you mean, I can see it in my wives eyes each time I bring up foods and calories. I'm trying to work on my food diary a day early so I have an idea of how much I can eat and if I exercise I know those calories will go down too. Good luck

How many wives do you have? :noway: :tongue: :laugh:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :bigsmile:
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I think anyone who can afford to visit their doctor and get a referral to a nutritionist for personalized sessions and plans should do so because it's a fine line between being effective and being obessive. Everything I've read recently on weight loss says that if you are or have been overweight it's really hard to get and stay at a healthy weight. So obsessing is sadly a natural reaction to having to stay on top of your habits, thought processes, and foods. It sucks, get any help you can afford to get!

The saddest thing about my situation is that I am a dietitian. I know what healthy eating is. I've also had type I/Juvenile diabetes since I was 15...Doctors have helped me for 13 years figure out how to eat healthy and they reaffirm every time I go see them that I'm healthy and eating well...I'm wondering if I don't need a shrink more than anything else.

Nothing wrong with a shrink, either, I guess, especially if you can find one who is familiar with nutrition and eating disorders and who will talk things out with you instead of shoving drugs at you.

Psychologists cannot prescribe drugs, only psychiatrists can (and do). Find a psychologist. They may or may not recommend medication but a decent one should not try to force them on you if you say you want to explore all other options (such as just therapy) first.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump- i am having the same problems!!!
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Bump...me too
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I was starting to have an unhealthy relationship with my scale...I was weighing 3-5 times a day, telling myself that I was only "watching" the fluctuations of the day, and the only one that counted was the first one in the morning. Then when it wasn't moving each morning, I became more and more depressed, even though I know that plateaus are bound to happen. My emotions and self-image were getting all mixed up with the number on the scale, so I had my husband hide it from me about a week and a half ago. Letting go of the scale was hard!

With your wedding in only a couple of weeks, I would just keep watching your calorie count until the big day, then give yourself permission to relax a little on your honeymoon. When you get back, if you still feel yourself obsessing, maybe it's time for professional help. If you, as a dietitian, know that you're eating properly but still worry over every single calorie, a psychologist might be better able to help you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I've been good about tracking my calories daily and trying to avoid certain foods...I exercise almost daily and am almost under my calorie goal.

However...I've also started cutting back on lots of things...I hardly ever drink alcohol anymore, I eat lots more veggies and a lot less meat...and I also find myself obsessing over whether or not I will go under on calories. I am miserable and feel like a bad person if I don't work out for an hour each day. Indulging in things I used to love makes me feel horribly guilty. I have the MFP app on my smart phone and I am constantly adding any small food I eat (sneaking a grape when I'm packing lunches for my fiancee and myself). I can tell it's starting to wear on him how much I think about my food and exercise.

I want to know when a person crosses over from trying to lead a healthy lifestyle and lose weight versus when it becomes an obsession/eating disorder.
    If it's ALL you think about every hour, then it's a disorder. If it's just when you eat, then I believe it's discipline.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Wait.... What has happened here??
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    i-hate-being-bipolar-tshirt__94633_std.jpg
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I've been good about tracking my calories daily and trying to avoid certain foods...I exercise almost daily and am almost under my calorie goal.

However...I've also started cutting back on lots of things...I hardly ever drink alcohol anymore, I eat lots more veggies and a lot less meat...and I also find myself obsessing over whether or not I will go under on calories. I am miserable and feel like a bad person if I don't work out for an hour each day. Indulging in things I used to love makes me feel horribly guilty. I have the MFP app on my smart phone and I am constantly adding any small food I eat (sneaking a grape when I'm packing lunches for my fiancee and myself). I can tell it's starting to wear on him how much I think about my food and exercise.

I want to know when a person crosses over from trying to lead a healthy lifestyle and lose weight versus when it becomes an obsession/eating disorder.

I have two questions:

1) What foods are you eliminating and why?
    2) Have you ever taken a few days off as a diet break?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Just focus on your calorie goal at don't worry so much about what you're actually eating. Sounds like you have enough knowledge that you make healthy choices most of the time, so enjoying a treat once in a while is no big. It's not suddenly going to make you gain.