MFP 1200 cal goal

Options

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    So my fitness pal says for me to eat 1200 calories a day to lose 2 lb. a week. If I eat anything less than that it tells me that I am not eating enough calories and to eat more, but if I eat anything more than that I am over my calorie goal. That doesn't make any sense to me since it is almost impossible to eat exactly 1200 calories. I feel like mfp shouldn't make 1200 calories a goal if anything less than that is not enough. Does anyone else have this problem?

Just on more thing - your calorie numbers are targets, not limits, sometimes you can be 100 over, sometimes 100 under, but it will all work out in the end.

If you are only eating 1200, it would be better to be 50 over, than 200 under. Just try to stay within 100 either way and it will be fine.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    More chocolatey goodness:

"My first week of increased calories, I dropped the 3.4lb gain I had from last week (water weight I'm sure, I ate horribly the 2 days before my previous WI), plus an additional pound - putting me at my lowest weight since joining MFP. I'm at 20% cut, and eat SO much more than I ever thought I could and still lose. I'm excited to see if I can continue losing in the coming weeks! My energy levels are awesome, I can think clearly, it's just all around been a great experience so far. Just starting week 2 now, but I promised I'd give it a full month either way, so we'll see how it goes!"

"Thank you so much for all this great information!

Since I am technically still obese by BMI standards, I went with 30% below TDEE, rounded to 1500. (I was doing 1200 for several weeks before.) I fully expected to just maintain or even gain a little for a couple weeks but, instead, I lost 2.6 lbs the first week upping my calories. I was willing to try this because I was having such a hard time at 1200. I am thrilled to be able to eat more AND still see good weight loss.

For anyone struggling at their current calorie goal, please run the numbers and give this a shot. Like some have said, it may take a few weeks before you start seeing the scale go down but it is worth it on a daily basis to have a more reasonable goal and to still have energy and not be grumpy all the time.

Best wishes!"
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

"My first week of increased calories, I dropped the 3.4lb gain I had from last week (water weight I'm sure, I ate horribly the 2 days before my previous WI), plus an additional pound - putting me at my lowest weight since joining MFP. I'm at 20% cut, and eat SO much more than I ever thought I could and still lose. I'm excited to see if I can continue losing in the coming weeks! My energy levels are awesome, I can think clearly, it's just all around been a great experience so far. Just starting week 2 now, but I promised I'd give it a full month either way, so we'll see how it goes!"

Since I am technically still obese by BMI standards, I went with 30% below TDEE, rounded to 1500. (I was doing 1200 for several weeks before.) I fully expected to just maintain or even gain a little for a couple weeks but, instead, I lost 2.6 lbs the first week upping my calories. I was willing to try this because I was having such a hard time at 1200. I am thrilled to be able to eat more AND still see good weight loss.

For anyone struggling at their current calorie goal, please run the numbers and give this a shot. Like some have said, it may take a few weeks before you start seeing the scale go down but it is worth it on a daily basis to have a more reasonable goal and to still have energy and not be grumpy all the time.

Best wishes!"

Cringe, this is like those people on Twitter who retweet praise they've received.... *rolls eyes*
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

Best wishes!"

Cringe, this is like those people on Twitter who retweet praise they've received.... *rolls eyes*

If you stick around youll see that I encourage healthy eating.
    I encourage people to think outside the box when looking at diet and weight loss.

Mcarter and I have gone round and round about it.

Personally I dont believe in the 1200 cal ways and have proven over and over again that for most, it doesnt work.
    So i'm just proving a point.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I think the original poster needs to edit the top post with a spoiler alert that this thread was highjacked.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Record the workouts.

You arent going to try to drive your car 400miles on an empty tank.

She's trying to lose 60 lbs. She has 210,000 calories in her tank.

Then it should be possible to forgo eating altogether for a little while and use up that gas tank then it sounds like.

Sounds like if 1500 is avg TDEE, just don't eat for 140 days and it should use up that gas tank.
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I find it harder to record the exercise, because I don't know exactly how many calories I am burning. I don't want to put more than I am. Well, Ill try to eat a but more on the days I go to the gym, and stay at my regular calories on other days.

HRM- Heart rate monitor- 20 bucks for the cheap ones- maybe less- The expensive ones will tell you how many cals you burn for everything.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Record the workouts.

You arent going to try to drive your car 400miles on an empty tank.

Then it should be possible to forgo eating altogether for a little while and use up that gas tank then it sounds like.

Sounds like if 1500 is avg TDEE, just don't eat for 140 days and it should use up that gas tank.

Obviously if she quit eating she would use it up but that's not what I'm advocating. Nor am I advocating 1200 or any particular level. I'm just correcting misinfo. Burning more than you eat is NOT like driving on an empty gas tank.

I guess for some people they're afraid of burning yesterday's calories and they psychologically or perhaps even physically feel like they're on empty but they have plenty of calories to fuel their activity. Maybe their blood sugar gets too low, I don't know. But their 'tank' is not empty and deficit eating is not dangerous, as long as one eats over recommended minimums.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Obviously if she quit eating she would use it up but that's not what I'm advocating. Nor am I advocating 1200 or any particular level. I'm just correcting misinfo. Burning more than you eat is NOT like driving on an empty gas tank.

I guess for some people they're afraid of burning yesterday's calories and they psychologically or perhaps even physically feel like they're on empty but they have plenty of calories to fuel their activity. Maybe their blood sugar gets too low, I don't know. But their 'tank' is not empty and deficit eating is not dangerous, as long as one eats over recommended minimums.

It's very much like minimum code in building standards.

That is the bare minimum for safety reasons.

Not for longevity, not for performance, not for aesthetics.

Building above minimum code is an improvement for one of the other reasons, or all of them.

If 1200 is minimum, who is it for? What size? Really minimum for all body sizes and daily activity levels? The 4'8" woman at 130 lbs and the 6'1" woman at 330 lbs both have same minimum?
    Or just a fail-safe number given because it's easier to deal with?

And if you are interested in longevity, performance, and aesthetics for your body, don't you want to be above minimum "code"?
  • mcarter99
    Options
    By that logic, the smaller the deficit, the healthier? So a 200 lb. woman should spend the next 5 years losing 50 lbs.? That's clearly not optimal, either. There are health benefits to getting your body to a healthy weight, especially for the obese.

It's just a matter of choices. If you believe that a shallow deficit of say 300 calories a day is best (and losing 3 lbs/month), that's ok. If you think losing 2 lbs/week is better for your life and goals, that's considered safe, too. If one is concerned that the former is safER than the latter, they can definitely research that.

But telling them here that 2 lbs/week is dangerous is just misinformation.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    By that logic, the smaller the deficit, the healthier? So a 200 lb. woman should spend the next 5 years losing 50 lbs.? That's clearly not optimal, either. There are health benefits to getting your body to a healthy weight, especially for the obese.

It's just a matter of choices. If you believe that a shallow deficit of say 300 calories a day is best (and losing 3 lbs/month), that's ok. If you think losing 2 lbs/week is better for your life and goals, that's considered safe, too. If one is concerned that the former is safER than the latter, they can definitely research that.

But telling them here that 2 lbs/week is dangerous is just misinformation.

You miss the point.
    People can lose 2lbs a week while eating high cals.
    It's happening now!
    I'm simply saying 1200cals is not an accurate way of setting up a diet.
    It needs to take into account age, height, weight and body fat.

I'll say it again, I have obese III people eating at a smaller deficit and losing weight.

This doesnt seem to sink in for you though.

I'll let them decide.

Heres one from today.

"I'm amazed, plateaued at 141 for several weeks. After reading your roadmap post, I upped my calories and started eating back my exercise calories and I have lost 4 pounds in 2 weeks. I cannot believe all the ill advice and misunderstood good intentions there are when it comes to fueling your body, burning fat, and loosing weight.
    Though it was really hard to eat more, until the scale started moving... wow."

Following my info she dropped 2lbs a week at a 20% deficit from TDEE.
    You decide.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    plateaued at 141 for several weeks
    Not obese II then, but to fill in the gaps what was the before and after food and exercise calorie regime that delivered the 2 lbs a week at 20% deficit ?

Before - calories eaten, exercise calories, weight loss (zero, presumably)
    After - calories eaten, exercise calories, weight loss (2 lbs/week, presumably)
    Height / weight / age / gender

2 lbs/week = 7000 (MFP) to 8750 calories per week deficit. TDEE over 5000 calories/day ?
    Since I am technically still obese by BMI standards, I went with 30% below TDEE, rounded to 1500. (I was doing 1200 for several weeks before.) I fully expected to just maintain or even gain a little for a couple weeks but, instead, I lost 2.6 lbs the first week upping my calories
    So, a deficit around 650 a day or 4500 a week delivers a 2.6 lbs loss. 1730 calories per pound. A calorie is clearly not a calorie :-)
  • mcarter99
    Options
    Math and science do not apply to Dan's group. They get to bypass the laws of thermodynamics.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I wish I was cool enough to be in Dan's group....*looks away wistfully into the distance*
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I wish I was cool enough to be in Dan's group....*looks away wistfully into the distance*

These doors are open to everyone.
    ;D

All you have to do is try it out.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I actually think they are both right. But I definitely side with Dan because he's always trying to help and someone attacks his eating more advice with eating less. I always pipe in on these arguments. I'm telling you all right now they BOTH work great. Whatever works for you man. But if you can get your head around that starving yourself to lose weight crap you will feel a ton better about yourself. The thing about 1200 cals is it's an easy way out that just flat out isn't AS good for your body. Despite if you like it or not Mcarter, all that fat energy your body has to burn is just energy, nothing else. Your body needs specific nutrients every single day to use a long with that energy. I don't have to drink energy drinks. You know why? Because I always feel really good and I keep my body FULL of everything it needs.
  • mcarter99
    Options
    Your body needs specific nutrients every single day to use a long with that energy.

1200 calories of food provides the nutrients your body needs in a day, which is why those with medical degrees and those in the weight loss industry almost invariably use it as a 'one size fits all' floor.

I'm not advocating anyone eat 1200. I'm advocating correct information. With correct info, people should make their own decision. Saying your body needs to fuel today's workout with today's intake is not true.
  • arock1000
    arock1000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've been reading about eat less vs eat more cals since I joined MFP...does anybody have any results longer than 2wks progress? That's all I've read on this thread - I need to see some long term results because I'm def in the "calories in/calories out" group.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I've been reading about eat less vs eat more cals since I joined MFP...does anybody have any results longer than 2wks progress? That's all I've read on this thread - I need to see some long term results because I'm def in the "calories in/calories out" group.

How about these - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/531086-before-and-after-pics-no-starvation
  • horrorghoul
    horrorghoul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    1200 calories can work for some people. Its been working for me. For 2 months I was at a standstill with my weight and than 2 weeks ago I dropped to 1200 and now I am dropping weight. I'm not sluggish and I have energy. I exercise and I'm happy. Sometimes it works. ;)