watching my families suicide

Options

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It sucks.

Do you just let them live out their choice or do you try to turn them around?

Unfortunately I've never heard of anyone turning their life around through the efforts of someone else. It's always because they want to change.

Usually it's a non-fatal heart attack that makes them choose to get on the wagon. The pain it causes is enough of a jolt to the mind.

If I were you I'd prepare myself for the inevitable and try to spend as much time with them as possible. My father died of a heart attack. He'd had a mild heart attack years earlier but the fatal one still came suddenly and unexpectedly. Sometimes I wish it'd been a terminal illness where we knew he was dying just so we could say goodbye and say the things that were never said.

I hate it that I'm basically saying their path is set. You may be able to turn them around. It's within the realm of possibility. I don't know your parents and maybe they might try to better their health if their daughter wants them to.
  • Bigmomma0u812
    Options
    I don't have any great words of wisdom on this either. I relate because at 35 years old I've already buried both of my parents. I feel trapped on the fence because I see both sides. I wanted my parents to be happy and indulge in life and enjoy every second that they had while here. At the same time neither of them took care of themselves with horrible eating choices which caused colon cancer in one and coilitis in the other . Both parents had the ileostomy bags (my mother never lived long enough to come home out of the hospital with hers, but my father had his for a couple of years before he passed.) That sure isn't the future I want for myself and I wish that they were here to see my daughter grow up. You can't change anyone but yourself but I do understand how you feel.
  • starla5881
    starla5881 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Love them. That's all you can do, darling. They're old enough to be set in their ways- they are not going to change, no matter how much you want them to. All you can do is accept that and love them with all that you can for as long as you can.
    This. I mean, let them know how much their decision hurts you, but accept that it is their decision to make. Let them know that if they ever decide to change, you'll be there to support them 100%, but otherwise, love them and make the best of whatever time you have left with them. None of us knows how much time we will have with the people we love; the best we can do is to appreciate them rather than trying to change them.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    What a tough situation. As a grandparent, I have just one thing to add to what the others have said--I want to be around to see my grand kids grow up--maybe you can use that for motivation if they have any or might in the future.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    You can't do anything except love them. If someone has the want to change, they will. If they don't have the want or will to change, they're not going to no matter how much you try.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    This is my little brother. I feel you.

And my sister drank herself to death. She died of cirrhosis at 52.

The hardest part is realizing you can't change other people. But you can change yourself!

(hugs)
  • abrn93
    abrn93 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Had a neighbor with DM, heart failure, and COPD. He always said that "our days are numbered and only God knows how many we have left. I can live healthy for a while and eat salad or live like I want eating burgers and fries-I hate salad!" Point is he lived his life how he wanted and enjoyed what days he had left. Just love them and be there for them honey. Sounds like food is not the only problem tho...
  • imcatbear
    imcatbear Posts: 38
    Options
    That's so very, very hard. I'm proud of you for not following their path though.

If you have that conversation with them again (or at least your dad) maybe you could ask him to plan his funeral now and break down in tears in front of him. I know it sounds cold and callous and a little manipulative to boot (I'm wearing flameproof underpants for this one), but sometimes it's conversations like that which motivate people.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    So sad to think about all this. Love them for the parents that they are and have been to you, you won't change what they don't want to change. Set a healthy example and maybe they will start thinking somewhere down the road that maybe they need to get healthy too. Just love them for who they are!...HUG!!!
  • tlaingworth
    Options
    Accept where they are, and love them unconditionally. Express your feelings and fears. I usually start with, "I love you, and I want to have an authentic, intimate relationship with you. In order for me to do that, I have to be honest with you. I'm afraid ...... (I'm going to lose you.....)

Hang in there. Telling your mom and dad how you feel will help you, whether they do anything differently than they are or not. :-)
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    i can sort of empathise. my mother has refused dialysis and refused to see a doctor for a couple of years now. she has no intention of living what life she has left doing some regimented lifestyle just to buy extra time.

and i don't argue with her, because she has made a conscious choice and she is an adult. she has no small kids depending on her, she isn't burying her head in the sand, she knows her own mind and has made a free choice.

i might not agree with it but, frankly, that's my problem! i'm not going to guilt trip her.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...He said, "I don't have much quantity of life left, I'm sure going to have quality"...

This always pisses me off when I hear this. I hate it when people try to rationalize their self-destructive behavior using this so-called argument. Like being a total glutton, out of breath, sick and miserable, all while wasting the time YOU DO HAVE LEFT doing nothing but gorging and feeling sorry for yourself is "quality" time. :sick: Any one of us could be dead tomorrow. Should we all just give up and let ourselves go? If he says he's got 10 years left, why not make those the best 10 years of his life? He's only got one life and when it's done, it's done. He could be out experiencing things, feeling good, and being proud of himself. Such a shame. :cry:
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat my whole entire family is this way. Last month I took my 69 year old mother to the doctor and never realized how many health problems she had that were directly related to her weight. I talked to her about my concerns she is trying, thats more then she was doing 6 months ago.

My husbands family refuses to even "talk" about my weight loss because it makes them feel so uncomfortable. Ive had to just come to terms with the fact that some people dont want to change at this moment in time. In some cases its just easier to wish/pray the weight away instead of putting in the daily effort to actually try.

The only thing I can suggest is how I deal with it and thats by just accepting them for how they are today and lead by example. Even small changes in a diet can have awesome results. My mom just increased her veg intake and her blood work came back last week improved. I dont think she will be out running anytime soon :) but its a move in the right direction.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    you didnt happen to say how old your parents were... not that age matters, but as we get older we tend to say change n weightloss especially will never happen... i know because i use to say it and had settled being big...and insulin dependant n out of control. we tell ourselves these lies to stay in the most comfortable...its the easiest way to live...but in fact it is killing us. As everyone said...there isnt much one can do until they come to that moment of needing to change. Hopefully something will "click" that might bring them about...n when they do they will know you are there to support them. I am sure you have voiced this to them in a loving way?
    If you hear of inspirational stories that may connect with them....tell them of it...being healthy and striving for it i am sure listening they will listen at least to your chatter...one never knows the seed that might grow.
    I know my husband and i were in that place they are now... he was 52 i was 48 he ate n drank the same...though didnt smoke...n i was super morbidly obese (600 lbs) and diabetic on 170 units of insulin ...eating as i pleased....
    But due to my husbands health turn around things changed. hindsight is 20/20...i so wish we had did that change so long ago...but.... he only lived 8 1/2 months after diagnosis and having to watch him struggle for health and holding on to life to stay here with me while his body was failing... is heart wrenchin... being alone without him after 25 years of marriage...well no one wants it. I hope your mom or dad never have to experience it...but the route they are taking they just may...n i feel for them.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Ouch, that is one sad situation there, both for you, and your family.

Love them, keep up the good example and yeah, make it clear you do not want to lose them, especially when 10 years could become 15 through just looking after oneself a bit more. Every moment is precious...do they want to eat a lot now, or be around a lot longer to eat more in the long run x
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Love them. That's all you can do, darling. They're old enough to be set in their ways- they are not going to change, no matter how much you want them to. All you can do is accept that and love them with all that you can for as long as you can.

Wrong--people *can* change, no matter what their age. They're not going to change until they are ready to do so (which unfortunately may be never), but they can change. Unfortunately, OP, there isn't anything you can do to make them change. You can very bluntly point out that they are on the path to an early grave, but that's all you can do. And I'm not sure I'd recommend the blunt approach, it depends on how your family interacts. It might just cause more conflict, or it might get through to them--you're guess is far better than mine.
  • getnback2lola
    Options
    Peace & Blessings You should 1) Pray for them 2)Talk to them 3) Pray for them 4) take care of yourself
    The only life you have control over is your own, we can't control the actions or inactions of others. Be good to yourself and know that you tried your best. their future does not lay on your shoulders, but their own. Peace & Blessings
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You are doing exactly what is right. Take care of yourself first, and lead by example. After you reach your goal you can try a little harder - make them a healthy meal, try to get them to for a walk, go play mini-golf, etc. But I suggest you take care of yourself first - doing both at the same time is too much. My parents were in the same boat - now my stepfather is dead and my mother is in assisted living, and my health went down the tubes while I did a lousy job of trying to save them. I wish I did what you are doing. Best of luck.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I go through the same thing with my mom. She's had diabetes for 7 years, has rheumatoid arthritis, needs a CPAP machine, and is about 50 pounds overweight. She always talks about wanting to lose weight, but her eating habits are horrible and she doesn't do the minimal exercise (15 minutes per day of walking and moving up from there) that her doctors instruct her to do.

It's very frustrating. She'll ask me what she needs to do as far as diet and I'll spend all of this time explaining it to her, but she makes no changes because "it's hard to know what's healthy to eat". And then she cops an attitude when I point out to her that her behavior is contradictory. I've tried anger, I've tried pleading, I've tried being honest and telling her that I'm sometimes afraid she's going to lapse into a diabetic coma or I'm going to come home and find her passed out, I've tried scare tactics, and I've tried tough love. Nothing has worked.

She finds excuse after excuse for not getting healthier. She "needs" to drink Coke or have sweets because she says they are the only things that get her blood sugar up when she crashes. Yet she won't eat cherries or pineapple because "they make my blood sugar spike too high". She can't do the 15 minute walk because her joints hurt from the RA, but she goes to the mall or Target and stays on her feet 3-4 times longer. She told me that because she can't do hard workouts like I do, that she doesn't see the point of doing the walking because it feels useless. It's always something.

A few weeks ago, she asked for my help for the 1,000,000th time and I spent almost an hour talking to her about nutrition and she insisted that her new leaf was well and truly turned over. The very next day, she baked a pie and ate the whole thing. When I confronted her about it, she got very insulted and said the pie was her breakfast, lunch, and snack, so it's not like she ate it all at one sitting. I told her to not ask for my help anymore until she is serious about changing. I told her that if she's happy being so overweight on her painful joints and doesn't care about dropping dead from diabetes, then she should just admit it and stop wasting both of our time giving lip service to wanting to get healthy. I know that's harsh, but I've been doing the song and dance for almost a decade and I've had enough. She has to do it. I can't do it for her.

I think that because outside of her diabetes and slightly elevated blood pressure that her phyusical numbers come back good, she doesn't see the urgency. Pills keep her blood pressure and cholesterol down, so she doesn't see the big deal. The doctors telling her that she has the heart of a 30 year old doesn't help matters. She always quotes that to me when I bring up the danger of heart disease due to her 43 inch waist. Sigh.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies and support, friends. I appreciate all of you.

Hezz