The Starvation Myth

Options

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/karen-miller-kovach

Karen Miller-Kovach is chief scientist and general manager of research & development for Weight Watchers International. She is responsible for all aspects of the Weight Watchers program on a world-wide basis. Drawing from a Scientific Council made up of top experts in medicine, nutrition, exercise and psychology, Miller-Kovach oversees the program to ensure that it represents the latest scientific thinking in the fields of obesity and weight management. In addition, she coordinates all clinical research initiatives sponsored by Weight Watchers International and the Weight Watchers Foundation. She also serves as a corporate spokesperson on scientific matters.

Prior to joining Weight Watchers, Miller-Kovach spent 14 years at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, a major, tertiary medical facility located in Cleveland, Ohio. As the Foundation's director of nutrition services, she was a health care administrator, nutrition practitioner, and clinical researcher.

Miller-Kovach served as a national spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association from 1986 to 1993 and remains active with the organization as a resource spokesperson. She has authored three books, holds the patent for the POINTS? weight-loss system, and has contributed to numerous articles in leading nutrition and medical journals.

Miller-Kovach became a registered dietitian in 1979. She graduated magna cum laude with a BS degree in technology (1977) from Bowling Green State University, completed her dietetic internship at University Hospitals of Cleveland (1978), and received an MS in nutrition (1979) from Case Western Reserve University. She also holds an MBA in executive management (1991) from Baldwin-Wallace College.
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I let my body guide me on this one, I stick to 1200cals... however, there are certain times where I feel a little weak and under nourished and then I boost it up to 1500 for a few days. It doesnt happen very often, but it works for me. Now Im not saying that would work for everyone, but its what works for me.

I had a lengthy conversation with my doc about it, and he thinks its just fine. In fact my blood pressure is awesome and I usually have oodles of energy.
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What I find interesting is that there is a lot of discussion about "starvation mode" and "eating back your exercise" on MFP but you don't see it in other forums. Actually I've never seen "eating back your exercise" on other forums (or I can't remember seeing it).

This! Before coming to MFP I never once heard anything anywhere about eating back your exercise calories. If that is "THE" way to go, why had I never heard about it before? My doctors and trainers had never mentioned it, not even once. You would think that if this was the secret to weight loss, everyone would know. Or maybe I live under a rock, which is possible. :bigsmile:

I must have been under the same rock, never heard of that before I joined MFP and I lost 90 without eating back my workout calories. If I try I gain so I do my very best to stay between 1200 and 1300 calories and fill my day with as much activity as I can.
  • mcarter99
    Options
    Starvation mode = adaptive thermogenesis = metabolic slowdown
    Starvation mode =/= Starvation (or any argument involving anorexics or africans)

There, I just cleared it up for you. Now we can all agree.

The question becomes beyond the slowdown you'd expect to see from losing weight ie having lower total mass, how much more will adaptive thermogenesis lower your metabolism from under eating?

The article sort of addresses that. It also presents the theory that 'not losing at steep deficits' can be due to binge-ing, presumably without recording.

Lyle McDonald's "Rapid Fat Loss" pdf says about the same thing as it does, too, I think. I mean, that you may slow down expected losses some but you never stop them.

"Furthermore, reducing to 1,000 calories should result in a weight loss of 2 pounds per week and going down to 500 calories a day should result in a weight loss of 3 pounds per week. However, if an individual actually reduces their intake to 500 calories, the weight loss would not likely be a steady 3 pounds per week because of the reduced metabolic rate. It would likely be around 2¼ to 2½ pounds. This "lower than expected" rate of weight loss is a lot different than "no" weight loss as the "starvation mode" notion proposes.
    It is unclear as to whether the relationship between reduced caloric intake and a lower metabolism follows a straight path or becomes more pronounced the greater the caloric reduction. Some studies have found no significant reduction in metabolism until the caloric restriction is quite large (e.g. 800 calories or less per day).2 Others suggest a linear relationship with small reductions in metabolism accompanying small reductions in caloric restriction, with the gap increasing as the caloric deficit is enlarged.

While there is no biologic evidence to support the "starvation mode" myth, there may be behavioral reasons why weight loss stops when calories are severely reduced. Over-restriction of calorie intake, known as high dietary restraint is linked to periods of overeating, hindering successful weight loss.3 (For more information on dietary restraint, read the Science Center article, The Skill of Flexible Restraint)."
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode = adaptive thermogenesis = metabolic slowdown
    Starvation mode =/= Starvation (or any argument involving anorexics or africans)

There, I just cleared it up for you. Now we can all agree.

The question becomes beyond the slowdown you'd expect to see from losing weight ie having lower total mass, how much more will adaptive thermogenesis lower your metabolism from under eating?

That's a good question, and one worthy of a thread debate. This particular thread and all the other ones like it are mostly people using mismatched definitions of "Starvation Mode" and the argument goes nowhere. I will have to look for sources, but I remember reading that the difference between someone who has dieted and someone who has never been overweight with otherwise equal parameters can be ~20% lower calorie needs for the dieter.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    If you must insist on eating at such highly restricted calories please start resistance weight training over cardio.

Study for the reason I say this and article that sites the study.
    http://www.jacn.org/content/18/2/115.abstract

http://fitnessblackbook.com/dieting_for_fat_loss/maintain-muscle-mass-on-800-calories-per-day/
    Results for the Dieters Who Did Cardio Only

The cardio only group lost most overall weight than the resistance only group, but unfortunately lost a significant amount of lean body mass. They also experienced a decrease in resting metabolic rate. So, obviously if someone is dieting hard they need to more than just cardio to maintain their lean muscle mass.

Results for the Dieters Who Did Resistance Training

This group didn’t lose any muscle mass whatsoever. In fact they lost more body fat than the cardio only group. Also, you have probably heard that “the metabolism slows down if calories are kept too low”. Well…this group actually had a higher resting metabolic rate than when they started. So resistance training is key when you are dieting.

Note that this study disproves all the people saying you do not lose muscle mass until low body fat %. You can lose muscle at anytime if your body feels it is not needed and you are eating at a deficit.
  • fat214
    fat214 Posts: 109
    Options
    Bump
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I personally think those who keep to 1200 calories and less, tend to be more likely to gain the weight back at some point, as their focus is on losing weight only, and not on a sustainable lifestyle change. I noted a few here who claim it worked for them before...well hey, if it worked so well, then why are you here needing to lose weight again ? It seems pointless to keep calories that low unless it is medically advised, as it can make shifting into maintenance and not gaining that much harder. I maintain my weight, with an hour of exercise 6x per week, on 2200-2600 calories a day, and I am not young, and am hypothyroid as well as having had anorexia when much younger(which can supposedly bork up metabolism), so yeah. Go figure that one out :) But that is my opinion from personal observation.

As to exercise calories just being an excuse to eat more...and? Your point? What is intrinsically wrong with a human taking enjoyment in eating more, if it is relatively healthy food? Fact of the matter is, the majority of humans enjoy eating and enjoy food, so I see nothing negative in people eating back their exercise calories unless it is genuinely causing them to gain weight having tried it for at least 3-4 weeks.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Notice weight watchers says there is no biological evidence to support lower calories produces starvation mode..in fact starvation mode only begins after 3 days of no calories. Even then true starvation (see Wikipedia or medical texts) only exists when all fat stores are depleted.
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    /grabs popcorn

this should be interesting :)

I am also excited. Hopefully, your popcorn has TONS of butter so you get those exercise cals back ;)
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I did WW off and on for years....and had success until points plus came along. Prior to that on momentum, they did allow you to earn exercise points and you cold eat those points. Thus.......eating back your exercise calories. This is not something new and MFP is not the only plan to encourage this idea.
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Now I'm going to sit back and watch the show...lol.

The show that I would want to watch would be exercise physiologists and nutritionists and other people who have gone to school for a long time argue about things like this.

This is where MFP could be so much better. Get some of those people and have EXPERTS giving advice on this kind of stuff. I am in the exercise science industry but not a nutritionist nor a personal trainer (will have that soon tho)...and these threads infuriate me at times. Yes. It is important to gain advice and support from others. But when it comes to things that may in the end harm your body, if you are going to post things about how there is no such thing as "starvation mode" or eating too little then don't write it on MFP...join a pro-ana website.

I disagree.

The beautiful thing about MFP is we are all just in it to lose weight. It is very, very simple. There is plenty of information out there for weight-loss, plenty of research about everything you can dream of-- but there is no definitive clear answer here. You will always have people that chose to follow what they believe is working for them. Always. No matter how terrible it might be for them. The only thing MFP is maintained to do, is to create an environment to support and talk to one another about our choices. It doesn't make them right, but for those that chose to eat below their caloric intake for the day--not your problem, and if you disagree with their choices, unfriend them. Simple. Let them do their own research, that's not what the website is about.

As far as MFP goes, it is made to do exactly what it's doing. It isn't a research site, it simply is a collection of people working towards the same goal. We are here to encourage each other, not give solid data on how to lose weight. We are all different. What worked for me, may not work for someone else. That's the beauty of the website. The diversity. I am a group fitness instructor, I have more certifications than awards, however- People have a right to post whatever they want to post. I could post a thread about how eating pineapple for the rest of your life is going to let you live until you are 200 years old. If you are ignorant enough to believe it, that's your own problem. From a personal stand-point, directing people to a pro-ana website is not only ridiculous and out of line, but it's dangerous.
  • mcarter99
    Options
    Again, WW 'eating back' is optional and maxes at half your exercise calories.

And there is no 'you HAVE TO fuel your workouts' advice. Stored calories fuel workouts just fine. The Activity Points thing is just an optional means to eat more for those who wish to. I recall most WWers either didn't or ate half or some portion of them.
  • justjen0117
    Options

That's a good question, and one worthy of a thread debate. This particular thread and all the other ones like it are mostly people using mismatched definitions of "Starvation Mode" and the argument goes nowhere. I will have to look for sources, but I remember reading that the difference between someone who has dieted and someone who has never been overweight with otherwise equal parameters can be ~20% lower calorie needs for the dieter.

I don't know the scientific reference for the ~20% lower calorie needs but I've also seen this. I think it was on the HBO show "Weight of the Nation" and I was completely intrigued by this.
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    For me doing the same workout I lose weight the same eating at 1200 or 1400.
  • mcarter99
    Options
    I saw it on that HBO show too and the show lost some credibility with me for it. It's not possible to be that high, unless they're counting into that the normal reduction in BMR from being smaller. I mean, an average woman burns around 2000 in a day. So the average woman who's dieted now burns 1600? And if she's dieted twice, it's 1280? 20% is just too big a number.

The original article implies the reduction in calorie burn is temporary. That would make sense to me. Why would a mechanism for survival in a famine remain in times of plenty?
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Not true that MFP is the only "program" that promotes eating your workout calories. Weight watchers gives you "activity points" to use during the week for certain amount of exercise.

This!! Weight Watchers didn't do this many moons ago when I first tried it. And I was starving all the time and working out like a maniac. Now things have changed.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Eat until you're full and then STOP. Don't eat just to fulfill some caloric goal of 1500 or whatnot. My opinion.

yes! i hate people that are like, "oh i'm not hungry but i have 200 cals left for today..what should i eat?!"

don't eat if you're not hungry!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Well OP taking a look at your diary your eating is pretty horrible (no offense I only looked at a few days and my past few days are horrifying so perhaps it's just a recent thing) but what I saw is loaded with fat and you go over on saturated fat quite often, which is the worst kind of fat for you... So I suppose if you're eating less then 1200 calories of that kind of food you'll be malnourished but you won't be starving...

But if you have someone whose actually consuming less then 1200 calorie a day and burning 600 at the gym...well then that person is doing some pretty serious damage. If you're eating 1350 and burning off 300 at the gym you'll probably be okay. But if you ever go into negative or extremely low net you're def screwing up your body really bad. I'm not saying eat back every exercise calorie but you should at least keep your net to about 800 (and that's pretty damn low) which isn't at all unreasonable because if you went to the gym and burned 400 you would only need to eat 1200 calories to have an 800 net...but honestly if you go to the gym you'll probably be hungrier and eat more. I'm not saying eat 800 extra calories every time you have a big work out but you shouldn't have these insanely low nets. It's important to at least drink a protein shake if you want to actually gain muscle.

Believe me skinny fat isn't all that attractive and that;s what you'll get without enough protein/nutrition in your diet.