HIIT

Options
Hello, this question goes out for you that have done HIIT. My gym offers this class, but I don't want to get in over my head. I do zumba four times a week and spin 3 days a week. I really want to shake things up.

So, here is my question how hard is this class? Do you feel like you need to be in shape in order to take part in the class?

Thanks!

Replies

• ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I don't have much info since I haven't done it but I know my gym lets me watch a class before taking it if I want to find out if I like it enough or think I can do it or still want to. Although my gym has long hall ways with huge windows so it makes it easy to watch without getting in the way lol Or maybe take to the instructor and get their input. Just an idea!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I've never done HIIT indoors in a class before. That being said, I did it once a week all last summer outside. I was 39 and in so-so shape. I used to sprint in the parking lot of the elementary school at 5 a.m. Let's just say the first few times I did it, I had to call my husband to come pick me up...I was THAT wrecked. But by the end of the summer, my older son who was 9 at the time, was coming with me and I was beating him (on occasion) and we walked home. Shredded the belly fat off me pretty quickly too. Good luck, it will shake things up for sure.
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    I am all about HIIT and I will say that it is IS IS IS for everyone. thats what P90X, Insanity and those hardcore programs are for BUT BUT BUT can be tailored to all body shapes, sizes, or men or for women. I would say it will be good .

SO you can jump in as a newbie and find that it will still work for you. For advance people, they can push harder and still get an amazing workout.

HIIT all the way!!
  • sarahrichards81
    Options
    HIIT is great for people of all levels because the essence of the whole thing is that you push yourself as hard as YOU can go. Sure you'll probably have people in the class smashing out 20 burpees in the time you can do 4 but as long as you remember you're in competition with yourself rather than anyone else in the class you should love it.

Depending on your instructor they should give you variations for each exercise (e.g. standing squats / jumping squats / jumping squats with a tuck jump etc etc) and you just pick the level that is pushing you enough, but not too much.

HIIT has completely transformed not only my body but my whole mentatlity to exercise. I love it and you shouldn't hesitate in going - after all, what do you lose if you go and end up hating it....?
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've never done HIIT indoors in a class before. That being said, I did it once a week all last summer outside. I was 39 and in so-so shape. I used to sprint in the parking lot of the elementary school at 5 a.m. Let's just say the first few times I did it, I had to call my husband to come pick me up...I was THAT wrecked. But by the end of the summer, my older son who was 9 at the time, was coming with me and I was beating him (on occasion) and we walked home. Shredded the belly fat off me pretty quickly too. Good luck, it will shake things up for sure.

I don't condone beating your children...even on occasion ;-)
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I've done HIIT with Turbo Fire and I loved it. There are 15,20 25 and30 minutes. They are really intense and quite hard. But you can cater to your fitness level. Don't jump as high etc. Its a quick calorie burn and you continue to burn well after you're done. Never be afraid to try something new in fitness. Just go at your own pace.. :bigsmile:
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    HIIT is a different beast of its own. I don't know about you, but my first spin class I felt like I was going to die after and had that I just want to lay on the cool tile floor of the bathroom sick feeling (I didn't but I really wanted to). Same feeling the first few times I did HIIT and occasionally I still have the looming nauseous feeling after doing it at times, It does however produce quick and effective results and I think its awesome, I'm definitely looking at getting back into it to hopefully speed up some results over this next month.

Also remember, no one, or no instructor is going to get mad at you for taking a break if you fee like you need it, I feel like if they do you're at the wrong gym. Maybe try talking to the instructor after one of the classes gets out about it for more of an opinion or feedback as well.
  • RRoveccio
    RRoveccio Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great question! Like the post below, work to your fitness level and pay attention to your RPE..rate of perceived exertion.
    A good instructor will model different intensity levels. Remember this...a little bit of somethin is better than a whole lot of nothin!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    So, here is my question how hard is this class? Thanks!
    You won't know if you don't try it once at least.....the worst that can happen is you aren't ready, but if you want to shake things up..you have to step outside of your comfort zone. Most of the time, classes allow you to go at your own pace...especially when you're a beginner.

I suspect you'll do just great!! :drinker:
  • jackflak
    jackflak Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am all about HIIT and I will say that it is IS IS IS for everyone. thats what P90X, Insanity and those hardcore programs are for BUT BUT BUT can be tailored to all body shapes, sizes, or men or for women. I would say it will be good .

SO you can jump in as a newbie and find that it will still work for you. For advance people, they can push harder and still get an amazing workout.

HIIT all the way!!

^^^^^
    What Mikey said!!!! Just do it-keeping yourself status quo on workouts leads to pleatues-Shake it up!!
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    I've done TurboFire HIIT routines several times, and they are a killer workout! They're so intense that it takes no more than 30 minutes and you're gasping for air and sweating buckets. I have no idea what a gym HIIT class would be like, but maybe try the TurboFire one at home first if you can, to see if you like it.

My bf complained about TurboFire saying it was too hard to follow along though... so if you're not an aerobics/kickbox/dance kind of person it might not be for you, as its all based off of following counts with the music as you run through the moves.
  • Sorrycharlie2007
    Sorrycharlie2007 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone! I am going to give it a go!
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    HIIT is very beneficial for many reasons. Def give it a shot!!! Good luck, I think you'll be hooked...
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I love HIIT Sprint intervals. I run a minute at 9.5 mph for a minute and walk at 3.5mph for a minute. I do a minimum of 15 sprints. It helps get the goo off. Give it a try.
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    as a HIIT fitness teacher/coach, i would say "GO FOR IT" ! It is, or should be, tailorable to your own personal fitness level (ie if they are jumping, but you can only hop, or step touch, then you just hop or step touch). The main goal of HIIT is getting that heart rate way up, bringing it back, and repeat several times, which each person in the class can do At Different levels! And the metabolism boosting benefits of HIIT are phenomenal! So quit lolly-gagging ;) & GO! If you feel nervous, just chat with the instructor before class and let her know your situation- s/he should be more than willing to give modifications that you may need. Good luck!
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone! I am going to give it a go!

:drinker: <---cups of water--->:drinker:
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You will LOVE it! I do!
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hello, this question goes out for you that have done HIIT. My gym offers this class, but I don't want to get in over my head. I do zumba four times a week and spin 3 days a week. I really want to shake things up.

So, here is my question how hard is this class? Do you feel like you need to be in shape in order to take part in the class?

Thanks!
    My gym labels this class as intermediate and not beginners. If you consider yourself in pretty good shape (i.e. intermediate), I'd say give it a shot!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

HIIT all the way!!

Agreed.

Ever since discovering how to incorporate HIIT in more than just my cycling training, I do it for every CV workout. I've also been teaching unfit people to do it and they've experienced great results - just take it easy as others say; beginners go easy on the high intensity bit but still give it some and you will benefit from the training.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    My gym just introduced this class, and I've been too intimidated to give it a try. They do advertise it as "some previous physical conditioning required". I spin, do step aerobics, kickbox, I consider myself in reasonable shape. I've watched a few classes and it looks challenging, but not impossible.
    I'll probably try to convince myself to give it a try this week.